• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sock colour w. trousers/shoes

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The conventional wisdom has it to match socks with either shoes or trousers (Euro/US split?). Other colours can work which don't match either, as various posts/links have demonstrated.
My question is related to both of the above: I bought some socks which are a shade or two lighter than the biege cotton trousers I wanted to match with (stupid of me not to go shopping in the trousers, I know); is it inexcusable
smile.gif
to wear three shades of brown/tan: dark chocolate brown shoes with the above mentioned combination? I can't decide whether it looks too bad or not; sometimes I think it's OK, other times I don't and regret the sock purchase (big deal, huh?)

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with KitonBrioni

I think the socks are too light in comparison to your shoes (looks like white socks with very dark shoes). I would go with a darker sock

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Argyll forever!!! *runs away from spears and arrows*

LegB4Wicket

Reaction score
My rule of thumb is I try to match my socks with the trouser or go a shade or two darker.

Then again if I want to spice things-up a little, I have been known to wear pink socks to 'compliment' pinks shirts.

Regards,

LBW

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
i kind of like how duncan quinn wears contrasting socks, though i'm sure the majority here would disagree. (pic taken from dandyism.net)
duncanquinn.jpeg

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don`t disagree at all....looks very good.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have heard that the socks should be regarded as the beginning of the shoes, and not as the end of the trousers. Thus, socks should have a colour in line with the shoes (not contrasting too much), but they can indeed make contrast with the trousers. For example, if you wear charcoal trousers and brown shoes, you should wear brown socks (but with another tone than the shoes, so that it is clear where the shoe begins).
Now, maybe this is BS.

Niels

Reaction score
I been told that according to shades, if you take your socks,your trousers and your shoes the socks should not be the one with the ligthest colour.

Of course the socks should also match the colour of the shoes

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads