• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 4: Goodyear welted shoes from Cobbler Union

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 4th auction is for a pair of Goodyear welted Shoes from Cobbler Union. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Sock colour w. trousers/shoes

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The conventional wisdom has it to match socks with either shoes or trousers (Euro/US split?). Other colours can work which don't match either, as various posts/links have demonstrated.
My question is related to both of the above: I bought some socks which are a shade or two lighter than the biege cotton trousers I wanted to match with (stupid of me not to go shopping in the trousers, I know); is it inexcusable
to wear three shades of brown/tan: dark chocolate brown shoes with the above mentioned combination? I can't decide whether it looks too bad or not; sometimes I think it's OK, other times I don't and regret the sock purchase (big deal, huh?)

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with KitonBrioni

I think the socks are too light in comparison to your shoes (looks like white socks with very dark shoes). I would go with a darker sock

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Argyll forever!!! *runs away from spears and arrows*

LegB4Wicket

Reaction score
My rule of thumb is I try to match my socks with the trouser or go a shade or two darker.

Then again if I want to spice things-up a little, I have been known to wear pink socks to 'compliment' pinks shirts.

Regards,

LBW

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
i kind of like how duncan quinn wears contrasting socks, though i'm sure the majority here would disagree. (pic taken from dandyism.net)

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don`t disagree at all....looks very good.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have heard that the socks should be regarded as the beginning of the shoes, and not as the end of the trousers. Thus, socks should have a colour in line with the shoes (not contrasting too much), but they can indeed make contrast with the trousers. For example, if you wear charcoal trousers and brown shoes, you should wear brown socks (but with another tone than the shoes, so that it is clear where the shoe begins).
Now, maybe this is BS.

Niels

Reaction score
I been told that according to shades, if you take your socks,your trousers and your shoes the socks should not be the one with the ligthest colour.

Of course the socks should also match the colour of the shoes

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 26 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 132 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 250 32.7%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 119 15.6%