• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sock Color Matching

bubbleboys

Reaction score
I've been searching on SF and across the internet but I can't seem to find consensus, even on SF, on how sock colors should be matched.

I found that there seem to be three schools of thought but I'm not really sure which, if any, is more appropriate and accepted.

1) Match it to the pants so that it extends your leg and highlights the outline of the shoe

2) match it to the shoe

3) wear a funky color/match it with some other color besides the pant or shoe (the more funky route)

I would only use 1 or 2 since I lack the fashion acumen to not screw up 3.

In a business/formal environment, which one should I follow?
In a casual environment (jeans, chinos)?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In my business/formal environment, #1.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't think socks should match the color of either the trousers or shoes, but I also don't like funky socks. That leaves me with solid nayy, burgundy, and brown 99% of the time. Navy almost always works.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're going to match, match to your pants. It really does look much better.

However, 'fun' but appropriate socks are superiour in every other way. Match to tie, shirt, cufflinks, underwear, skin tone, overcheck, or don't even bother matching at all.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't wear socks.

If you look at all the cool sartorial icons/examples that have their pictures taken by the likes of the Sartorialists, in all the mens fashion magazines, no socks is the rule.

Therefore I forego socks.

You should too.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am a fan of socks, and find sockless life to be sweaty, boorish, and joyless. I prefer colourful socks in strange patterns and textues.

I've never had anybody say anything negative about my socks, in fact, I have actually received compliments on them. Once in fact, from a lady with the poor judgment to fall for my clever sock ruse and give me access to her naughty bits.

Patek14

Reaction score
Standard advice is #1 - match to the trousers. This helps if the pants have been cut too short and make your leg look longer.

I'd say 1 > 3 > 2. 1 is the best (its the "rule"), 3 is more "interesting". I see a lot of guys around work doing #2 though, so #2 might actually be the norm.

82-Greg

Reaction score
For business clothes the preferred route is to match the trousers--but in a darker hue. For example, if wearing a mid-grey suit, charcoal socks would work. However, complementing or contrasting the color of the trousers is perfectly acceptable for less formal occasions. For example, the same mid-grey suit would work fine with navy socks.

For truly casual occasions, I say let the world be your oyster--dealer's choice.

However, at best these are social paradigms rather than black and white law. You may enjoy other combinations.

Only on the occasion of sailing your own boat or engaging in some water sport (kayaking, swimming, etc) is the no socks paradigm acceptable. If you are wearing a suit, it is never acceptable to not wear socks. I believe this to be black and white law.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gaseousclay
they should match the shoes

Ah, so it looks like your wearing a skin tight knee high bootie...

Always match it to the trousers.

max b

Reaction score
match it to the tie. These two accessories are the ones usually giving a touch of color to dark cloths.

bubbleboys

Reaction score
well I guess it is asking a bit much for a consensus lol

Kentishman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Always wear red.

Done.

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dare say Mr Niidawg is the SF sock expert for option 3.

I await his response!

I am a noob in this area and all other dressing matters, but for business I wear socks that
Are a slight shade darker than the trousers but have a degree of pattern.

My favourite is a polka dot sock, I have navy socks with white polka dots, and also mid grey socks with
A black polka dot.

For more casual business dress and informal dress, I plan to experiment more.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're going to match, then match your trousers. I also like to use a colour from my dress shirt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads