1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Sock Color and Jeans

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Fimiak, Apr 30, 2006.

1. Fimiak

Fimiak New Member

So, I of course know how to match up my socks with suits and pants, however what are the rules with jeans? I mean if you were to wear semi dressy shoes, with semi-dressy jeans. I know of course white sport socks and sneakers are made for each other, but I do see people wearing these thick socks with dark leather shoes, and it just doesn't seem right. Please help!

2. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

I like to wear pale yellow socks with jeans but I have no rationale for it.

3. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

Fimiak, wear a color of socks that accent whatever else you're wearing. If you're wearing a light colored shirt or jacket, then tan socks would be cool. That works for me, but there really is no rule for it as jeans pretty much work for everything. Any non-white sock would work

4. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

...wear a color of socks that accent whatever else you're wearing...

That is also a good idea for more formal outfits.

5. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I often take the lazy way out and wear navy socks to match the jeans.

6. tiger02

tiger02 Senior member

Socks should be any color other than white. I don't think I'd even wear white socks with sneaks, but I don't really wear them so can't say for sure.

7. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

White socks with jeans works well if one is also wearing white athletic sneakers.

Another option is to match sock color to shoe color. (But with regular pants, match with the pants.)

8. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

I don't wear white socks with trainers either.

my socks are 75% argyle so chances are, it'll be argyle

9. CoryB

CoryB Senior member

I usually select a tan sock. As I usually where brown shoes with jeans I think it provides a nice line between the pant and shoe. I rarely where black because I think it is too stark of contrast.

10. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

charcoal cotton of a medium thickness with a plain design

11. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Senior member

I usually go with dark grey.

!luc

12. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

I don't know of any rules for matching socks with jeans. One can either match the shoes or the jeans. Or, as someone else said, match something that one is wearing.

Just remember, the more sheer / fine the sock, the more dressy. Crew socks and such seem to look best with jeans (IMO).

I personally think white looks bad, but that is my opinion (also depends how someone is wearing their jeans and sneaks). I do wear white sox only if no one is going to see them, maybe for boots (lace up) or something like that.

13. coachvu

coachvu Senior member

When it's colder, I like to wear thick cotton socks by Birkenstock. They're comfortable and cheap, and they add a different sort of color than more traditional striped or solid-color socks.