• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sociometric Status and Happiness

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have thoughts on how our hobby of improving our likeablility through clothing and appearance fits into this model of happiness?

http://lifehacker.com/5920119/money-cant-buy-you-happiness-but-a-little-respect-can?tag=happiness

Clif notes: Money doesn't buy happiness. Respect, admiration, and deference from your peers does.

This article reminds me of the Alain de Botton book "Status Anxiety" (which is a great read by the way) where he suggests people don't pursue money for the material possessions they can buy with it, but for the respect they conciously or unconciously feel those material possessions will bring. He asks, but doesn't really answer, what are some ways to gain people's respect and have them like you without having to resort to fancy material possessions to communicate your worth?

Last edited:

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you mensimageconsultant's sock?

:paranoia:

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, but I'm certainly surprised he hasn't dropped in yet...

BrunoB

Reaction score
I think, it should not really matter whether one possesses or likes material things when it comes to liking someone. If one is a "material person" it does not mean that this is all that person embodies. I think if material people do spend their money on valuable things like TAG Heuer watches and the like, and these poeple really appreciate the technological and historical value of such items then it should be fine.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll actually answer this - when I was about 14-22 or so, I tried to see myself as very "zen" in my limited understanding of the concept, at that time. controling my ego was one of my top goals in my life. most of my civillian clothing was basically the type of work uniforms that a mechanic would wear, blue hardwearing work clothes, sneakers. clean but simple.

I found that it didn't work for me - not just the issue of dress, but the issue of trying to not let status and standing influence me. I think that there is something very noble in not caring about status, but it isn't for me. once Is started dressing better, I got treated better, and I liked it. I don't let it take me overboard, but yes, dressing like a serious man gets you treated like a serious man.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads