• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Social Life: how far do your Facebook friends extend?

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is based on a few posts by j. in another thread.
No really, I'm trying to figure out how to reconcile people I know from the forum and whether I want any of them to have access to the stuff that Facebook frienditude grants. I think I will have to make a 'forum-awkward' privacy group.
Also, there are people I know IRL who don't know exactly what it is I do online, and no offense to any of you but I don't know if I want random forum in-jokes/references appearing on my wall etc. and confusing/enlightening them.
So, how far does your Facebook circle extend? Have you dealt with this issue? Do you have friends from 4chan posting up your wall for your elementary school teacher from 15 years ago to read?
ffffuuuu.gif

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Real friends only. I'd never add anyone from work. My profile is private and i just tell people that I don't use facebook, which is mostly true, since I barely use it at all. My brother and sister are friends on there but I've ignored requests from other relatives.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my facebook is semi-professional. i do some slightly personal stuff on it, but mostly us it as a bulletin board for work.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I chose the third option, though it's not exactly correct. As a matter of personal policy, I don't have any coworkers as friends.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't have any SF friends (only "real ones") so my shameful secret is safe.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Everyone, basically. I try to keep it to very few adult relative, ie aunts/uncles/parents. But I have forvm people on alongside my friends. And actually, when I say something stupid, the forvm guys and my real life friends pile on at the same time, which is kind of interesting to see.
Besides, some of the forvm guys really are my real life friends.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah decent overlap between real life friends and forum friends.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
my three best friends are on there but we have never commented on each other's posts. i have about 50% family/friends, 30% irl friends of old and the rest are online peeps.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm honestly surprised so many people have internet-only friends.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I consider doing clean-up occasionally. I have a lot of grammar school / high school acquaintances that I enjoyed catching up with for a few minutes, then I could have done without. I also use security groups to keep the semi-friends out of most of my personal bidness.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I have a few forum/e-friends as FB friends. I trust they have the good sense not to make forum centric comments. I get friendship requests all along from people back home who I never really knew, some I'm not even sure who they are. I'm inconsistent on who I accept or ignore.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
See, I do actually consider some people I've never met IRL to be real friends, and some I've only met a couple times. The question is, should they or their friends have access to pictures I'm tagged in that include people I know and care about, so that they can get posted all over the damn internet? In general, of RL people, I only add people whose phone number I have (or who have mine) or would expect to be given with no reluctance - that sort of relationship. Not kinda-friends who I tolerate or who tolerate me, not people who are in the same social group so we have to be "friendly", but people I actually know to some extent and want to hear from/about. I wish I could just add everyone who wants to add me, but it's not that simple. Also, I'd prefer certain psychos on the internet not know what I look like, since some of them have already expressed a desire to physically harm me, and I don't need the grief.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Mostly IRL friends/coworkers. Some forum peeps. BUT not just anyone. I do have "rules". So none of the above poal options really apply.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads