• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Social Life: how far do your Facebook friends extend?

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Mostly friends that I regularly stay in touch with or want to stay informed on what's going on in their lives. I periodically "clean" up my friends list by removing people I have no interest keeping in touch with, lost touch with and don't really foresee reigniting things, and those I barely know. I have a few SF people, most of whom I hang out with regularly. Some people from the office some of whom I hang out with on a personal level. No one I directly or closely work with though.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I use another networking site for business. My facebook is private and only a few trusted people who know how terrible a person I am in real life are allowed access to it.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Mostly IRL friends/coworkers. Some forum peeps. BUT not just anyone. I do have "rules". So none of the above poal options really apply.

what he said.

Aaron01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I no longer have facebook, but they were all IRL friends and coworkers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have only two of around two hundred (friends, relatives, coworkers) that I have never met in real life...one from here and the other is the gf of my best friend.

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most all are IRL friends, all 5 of my co-workers (a couple are really good friends but no boss(ever)), a couple clients who became friends, and a few SF'ers. Little brother is only family member I have and will add to FB.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unlike j, my e-life and my "real life" have blended more or less into one. There is actually some article about me and the forum taped up in my departmental office, so it's not like it is some big secret. My family life and stuff I usually keep a little more private, i.e. off the internet altogether.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Hmmm. I don't have hard-and-fast statistics on this, but I generally accept a request unless I have a reason not to. Included in my f-list:

RL friends from school, work, clubs
various forumites/friends from two (well, three) boards
extended relatives I hardly ever see (both my generation and their parents)
A couple we met on a trip to Rome years ago and haven't seen since (though we do still talk)
Some of my wife's relatives and friends
Random other people I may or may not know. There are a few folks on my f-list, I accepted them thinking that the light would come on, but thus far there are still two who I can't place.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cravate_Noire
I try to add anyone who's name is Hans or Fritz.

laugh.gif

BreakfastPirate

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
...In general, of RL people, I only add people whose phone number I have (or who have mine) or would expect to be given with no reluctance - that sort of relationship. Not kinda-friends who I tolerate or who tolerate me, not people who are in the same social group so we have to be "friendly", but people I actually know to some extent and want to hear from/about...

This.

I get in a lot of heated conversations with people over "Why you're an asshole for deleting me off of facebook." They always say "why bother deleting me, it's just facebook" to which I respond "exactly, stop being a whiny ***** and realize we were never friends in the first place!"

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Im extending a public offer to be one of Tagut's 2 friends

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't mind stuff on my facebook, but I keep IRL and internet separate most of the time.

Few people are ACTUALLY nosy enough to ask why someone from California is posting on my wall despite me having never been there.

shellshock

Forum Mascot
Reaction score
mostly family and real friends, also some classmates, coworkers and forum people but people i've actually talked to more than once. i get friends requests from classmates from high school who i wasn't friend with then so why would i want to be e-friends with them now? i don't care about their life! ugh.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads