• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Soccer • Football • Voetbal • Fútbol • Calcio • Futebol - 2012-2013 Thread (Including EURO2012)

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Italy was better and had the best chances...
England did not play badly at all but their players were exhausted in the second half...
Pirlo is a great player..
We've been organised and committed even if the players aren't very good. Hodgson is getting the best out of a very average side and I hope he keeps his job. We need a mid season break especially the seasons before tournaments.

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^^ Welbeck especially. He appears to have caught Benzema Syndrome.

Rooney was actually quite good. He was involved in everything but --other than welbeck who did not have a great game-- he isn't surrounded by much.

Actually truth be told it looked like this:

Milner - awful.
Parker - worse than awful.
Gerrard - sub par
Welbeck - sub par
Walcott - awful
Young - decent defending but almost non existent on offense
Lescott - fantastic
Cole - sub par
Johnson - very good
Terry - very good (and this pains me to admit)
Rooney - Good
Hart - Good during the game but poor on pks.
Henderson - gone missing
Carroll - was better than one might have expected, but it did not yield anything.

Should aslo add that Hodgson was shown to be the manager he is - not particularly creative or useful. He was about as good as he was at Liverpool.

Last edited:

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I feel the main problem was the the midfield was non-existent and Rooney left his legs at home. The defense played simply AMAZING, they prevented it from being 26-0.

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I feel the main problem was the the midfield was non-existent and Rooney left his legs at home. The defense played simply AMAZING, they prevented it from being 26-0.

Yes. Defense was good but midfield was very poor. Parker was really poor and his replacement may have been worse. The best English player was Lescott. Truth be told, both England and Italy are mediocre sides that should be sliced apart by any of the other three.

Last edited:

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The best English player was Lescott. Truth be told, both England and Italy are mediocre sides that should be sliced apart by any of the other three.

I think it's hard to pick out of the back 4 who was the best, (not counting Cole's penalty miss). They all played fantastically well. Such a shame that we have no good midfielders and the attack is lame as ever.

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think it's hard to pick out of the back 4 who was the best, (not counting Cole's penalty miss). They all played fantastically well. Such a shame that we have no good midfielders and the attack is lame as ever.

Not really - It was easy. Lescott was perfect and Terry got caught out a few times. Lescott was the best player on the fireld for England.

Last edited:

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Think Lescott and Johnson were the best English players on the pitch, not sure which I thought was better of the two.

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Rooney was actually quite good. He was involved in everything but --other than welbeck who did not have a great game-- he isn't surrounded by much.
Actually truth be told it looked like this:
Milner - awful. Agree
Parker - worse than awful. Very bad
Gerrard - sub par Did OK, well past it now but surprised me
Welbeck - sub par About as below par as the bottom of the Mariana Trench is below sea level
Walcott - awful Agree
Young - decent defending but almost non existent on offense Fell over a bit, worst player on the pitch, wouldn't even start him in the Championship based on tonight
Lescott - fantastic Agree
Cole - sub parApart from his penalty thought he did well, but the worst of the four defenders
Johnson - very good Fantastic
Terry - very good (and this pains me to admit) Agree
Rooney - Good Disagree
Hart - Good during the game but poor on pks. Agree
Henderson - gone missing At least when he was on the bench he could be expected to contribute **** all to the team
Carroll - was better than one might have expected, but it did not yield anything. Did well despite not getting much service
Should aslo add that Hodgson was shown to be the manager he is - not particularly creative or useful. He was about as good as he was at Liverpool.
Not sure what Hodgson should have done differently tonight apart from start Carroll.

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
England lost this game before the Euro began. Should never have picked Hodgson. Should never have picked the midfield they did, Picking on Rooney, Walcott, Welbeck, Young or Carroll with a midfeilf that really just cannot pass the ball is riduclous. The only player that belonged was Gerrard and he couldn't win all the games by himself. Oh, and Hodgson, he was responsible for the stupid team selection.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Interesting comments about Parker. What did I miss? He didnt seem any worse than a 6 to me. I thought there were worse performers.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Both teams didn't play well but Italy did play better. We had possession, aggression, and team work locked down better than the brits. Italy failed to reach the back of the net. effing Mario and offsides, WTF!?!?
I didn't want it to go into PK's. I was nervous as **** in a British pub. Thank God we have Buffon.
I still feel as if we can beat Germany.

L'Italia sempre fino alla fine!

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A little bit more sober. Pirlo was class. But frankly, for those who are criticizing Hodgson, who pray tell would he pick for England who would've done better?

There aren't that many players coming up unless he wants to field a U23 reserve squad out there. This isn't Spain or Germany - whoever ended up on the pitch are the players that are on the pitch. All those "great" players in the Premiership are foreign.

And I think Hodgson saw what he had to work with in the time he had, and gambled on a specific (uninspiring) game plan.

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Interesting comments about Parker. What did I miss? He didnt seem any worse than a 6 to me. I thought there were worse performers.

IMHO Parker, with the exception of possibly Milner, was the worst player on either team. Did he complete a single pass? Did he make a tackle? Did he do anything offensively or defensively that made a difference? He routinely gave the ball away and did nothing to even test the Italian midfield. I am thoroughly convinced that he is the most overrated player in Englnad. They say Parker is injured, maybe he is, but he was clearly awful. Go watch the game again if you can. You will see that Ashley Young often ends up having to play defense and ran miles to shut stuff down and challenge--Parker should have been playing like that. If he is injured then, he didn't belong in the game.

Hodgson got a ridiculous pass in the first three games because he made a few good substitutions. Blah. Blah. Blah. Why would anyone have picked him.

Last edited:

calisanfran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BBBWAAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics