• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Soccer • Football • Voetbal • Fútbol • Calcio • Futebol - 2012-2013 Thread (Including EURO2012)

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Soccer

ABecause he definitely didn't deliver performances worthy of his club price tag

France looks like they don't know how to attack, don't know how Malouda got the start over Nasri, he's beyond useless. Benzema looks ragged, but there isn't much of a choice there. Cabaye needs a talking to

Reynard369

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Everyone I talk to. Every time his name is brought up some takes a crack at him.

Not sure why. There's his obvious struggles at Chelsea, but he's been decent recently. Certainly think he should be starting up top for Spain right now.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^probably in some cafe next to the absinthe bottle.

I think people are to quick to judge, Torres. I think him will prove his worth so enough.

Last edited:

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
bwhahahahhaaha.

L'Italia va! Si prevarrà!

Last edited:

Oleg

Reaction score
Given Torres has, perhaps excepting a few glimmers since Easter, barely kicked his own arse for a couple of years, I think he gets away relatively lightly. Folk have been arguing for a starting place in the Chelsea team and then, when he's crap, say he needs a run, and then, when he still doesn't deliver, suggest selling Drogba to take the pressure off him. He's clearly lacked confidence but too often he's looked sluggish and his first touch has been like a landmine much of the time.
Would've thought Llorente could feel more disappointed at not getting a look in.

Last edited:

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Given Torres has, perhaps excepting a few glimmers since Easter, barely kicked his own arse for a couple of years, I think he gets away relatively lightly. Folk have been arguing for a starting place in the Chelsea team and then, when he's crap, say he needs a run, and then, when he still doesn't deliver, suggest selling Drogba to take the pressure off him. He's clearly lacked confidence but too often he's looked sluggish and his first touch has been like a landmine much of the time.
Would've thought Llorente could feel more disappointed at not getting a look in.
Reckon a three month loan to a team with lower expectations or even in an easier league would do him some good even if Chelsea will have to pay millions of pounds for their player to help another team.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
France were totally listless. What a **** effort. They sure played the surrender stereotype tonight.

Teams give Spain too much respect. Unfortunately I think Portugal will fall right into their hands and play counter attack.

When are teams going to learn that to succeed against Spain you have to retain the ball yourself. Everyone is in such a hurry to get into the box against them, plays right into their hands.

Spain were at best average tonight. They faced a team unwilling to work for a goal.

KitAkira

Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Soccer

AFrance looked quite sad. I guess now I switch allegiance to England/Balotelli. Hopefully Blanc will be kept on, the real issue they'll need to fix is finding a way not to be gutless pansies (scared in big performances, lazy in small performances, giving up once they're down)

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lasbar :(

Would have preferred a Frog-Rostbif final to Spain or Portugal. Hopefully Portugal win to set up a final against England so we can play the winker and I'm guaranteed sweepstake winnings.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Lasbar :(
Would have preferred a Frog-Rostbif final to Spain or Portugal. Hopefully Portugal win to set up a final against England so we can play the winker and I'm guaranteed sweepstake winnings.

We have an average team...

There is qualm about that..

Good players , no shape , no direction ...

Our problem is most players never play together in league games...

We limited Spain most of the time but nothing else..

Benzema was awful..

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Lyon-Arsenal-Valence-Lyon-Lille-Rennes-Newcastle-Chelsea-Bayern-Real Madrid..

Benzema was awful..

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Benzema was awful..

No steak frites in the final. Looks like Tapas and Brotworst.

Benzema was total ****. Look at around minutes 78 or 80, Ribery charges the box, creates some space and while (dont know who) charged the box, ******* Benzema was jogging in like a fat man on a neighborhood run. I was have subbed his ass right there.

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That was a ridiculous performance from France. They rarely pressured, and Spain didn't have to get out first gear. I know that it was risky for France to push forward, but if you are down by a goal and you want to advance in the competition, that is what you do. France cannot match Spain on talent, but they could have at least run faster for 50/50 balls and crowded the Spanish more. Instead, much of the game was a Spanish passing clinic.

The Alonso header was quality, but where were the French defenders? He had acres of space.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

That was a ridiculous performance from France. They rarely pressured, and Spain didn't have to get out first gear. I know that it was risky for France to push forward, but if you are down by a goal and you want to advance in the competition, that is what you do. France cannot match Spain on talent, but they could have at least run faster for 50/50 balls and crowded the Spanish more. Instead, much of the game was a Spanish passing clinic.
The Alonso header was quality, but where were the French defenders? He had acres of space.

The plan backfired..

France likes to play possession like Spain bt the latter is a lot better at it..

Let's be honest , Spain did not have so many shots at goals..

France tried to play like Italy or England but it is not their game and got punished...

Last edited:

KitAkira

Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The plan backfired..
France likes to play possession like Spain bt the latter is a lot better at it..
Let's be honest , Spain did not have so many shots at goals..
France tried to play like Italy or England but it is not their game and got punished...
Saw the same thing, a passing team that couldn't play a passing game against superior passers who then tried to implement an English/Chelsea style fortress in the box but, being unfamiliar with it, were largely ineffective. Have to wonder what an effect Nasri would have had if he started; he's no Iniesta, but he's top quality and can create some wonderful chances

Query: Does England park or charge against Italy?

Portugal v. Spain will be fun to watch so long as they don't try to bunker up (which seems to be what I'm saying before every Spain match; too bad we can't see the SA teams play, they don't tend to shy away from such challenges)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads