1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Soccer • Football • Voetbal • Fútbol • Calcio • Futebol - 2012-2013 Thread (Including EURO2012)

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by El Argentino, May 22, 2012.

1. Jabonator

Jabonator Senior member

Playing LB and becoming a LW = being versatile. His skillset is still highly one-dimensional. But he's getting better, shown by his transition to a more central role. He's an athlete first, a footballer second. His greatness doesn't come from his footballing skills, but from his athletic superiority. You need more than that to be one of the greats.

And you're going to use comments made by coaches to 'prove' your point? While at the same time you don't see what's great about Iniesta, who is praised by everyone, and was chosen as the best player in Europe last year. You choose who to listen to based on if their words back up yours, with no further logic. English coaches have a pretty commonly over-praised British players, and players in the EPL. AVB is Bale's coach. You expect him not to praise him? And even when he does, he's saying he's having a great individual moment. He recognizes he's on a heater, rather than claiming based on a few great performances he's the world's greatest.
    '
    And I didn't say he doesn't show up in big games, you claimed that of somebody else, and I noted Bale hasn't played in big games.

2. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Someone said he doesn't show up. Dont recall who. I then said that of Ibra which is true.

I posted quotes because someone said I was alone in this belief, not to support my position. I don't need AVB to tell me he's #3, I can see it for myself, but others are trying to isolate me in the view and I'm exposing that to be false.

Yes, Bale in a good vein of form, but this has been coming for a long time. For me it's just the vindication on my claims last year he was #3. And I need no further logic: he's playing at the #3 level. Name a player other than LM or CR in better form right now? Every player shows flashes of brilliance but has to develop to a point where they become a sustained presence. I think we're seeing that, and so is R Madrid.

I don't ignore Iniesta or his quality, I just don't share the groupthink that he's that good. He and Xavi play well within that boring ass system, and unfortunately they'll retire in that system so we won't know if I'm wrong.

3. Jabonator

Jabonator Senior member

Nope. Somebody named players better than Bale, and you picked Ibra out, saying he doesn't show up in big games.

I've already named a bunch. Iniesta, RVP, Mata, Cesc, Falcao... Maybe Bale's form of the last two games has been slightly better, but a sudden boost of form doesn't elevate him over them. If he played like that for the rest of the season, maybe he'd have a contender's spot.

4. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Sorry, someone said he doesn't play in big games, you're correct.

He's been in superb form all season. We'll see in a few months. To be continued...

5. the shah

the shah Senior member

Drogba scored within 5 minutes of his first start for Galatasaray :slayer:

6. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Blackburn downs Arsenal in FACup...

:hide:

7. the shah

the shah Senior member

surpriiiiise! yet another trophy-less season

can't wait till the locals get torch and pitchforks and march on the Emirates

8. El Argentino

If there was ever a squad that needed a revamp and a new coach, it's Arsenal. New pickups aside, there needs to be a deep spring cleaning at that club.

9. hhenryhhh

hhenryhhh Senior member

I don't even want to think about Arsenal after some shit like that. Fuck.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  10. tullytra

tullytra Senior member

Everton got shafted today with a blatant handball straight into the goal in stoppage time. It's pretty awful of the refs to miss it considering it was the Oldham keeper who had come up for the last ditch swatting it into the net.

11. fwiffo

fwiffo Senior member

I thought the focus for Arsenal according to Wenger was Champions League.

12. El Argentino

This image made me literally burst aloud in laughter. Bravo, internet.

13. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Wenger is too stubborn to leave..

He can get any job he really wants but he will stay there until being fired..

14. DLester

DLester Senior member

lol this was posted in the Oldham dressing room before the Everton game

must be pretty bad over there......

[​IMG]

15. DLester

DLester Senior member

<3 you Arsenal for taking the heat off of slightly-less-ridiculous, clown-car, cant-keep-a-manager-for-more-than-8 weeks, ludicrous, frustrated-hair-pulling-until-head-is-totally-bald Chelsea. Your thank you gift of 1,000 Torres jerseys will be arriving in the mail shortly.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  16. El Argentino

:uhoh:

17. fwiffo

fwiffo Senior member

I wonder what the Portsmouth walls said a few years ago when they were in the final but barely able to pay wages and field a starting XI.

18. the shah

the shah Senior member

my homie had press pass for the Desert Diamond Cup, here are 3 shots I enjoyed the most (obvious)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. pronxs

pronxs Senior member

20. the shah

the shah Senior member

been for a while (since summer 2011 i think) using the classic King series, same as maradona

and they signed cesc for the powercat series shortly after his move to barca

i think henry is the only or one of a few to have done the round of the biggest companies, adidas nike reebok puma

launch campaign of newest stuff with thierry aguero cesc and yaya

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013