Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Soccer • Football • Voetbal • Fútbol • Calcio • Futebol - 2012-2013 Thread (Including EURO2012)

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by El Argentino, May 22, 2012.

1. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Sir Humphrey Appleby Senior member

Lack of civility because I mock you for losing the title (not that losing it matters to you because it was only on goal difference and because you lost matches meaning you lost it rather than they won it).

2. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

Burton, you my friend need to calm down. There is a reason most people do not like Manchester United. Stop adding to it.

3. hhenryhhh

hhenryhhh Senior member

Saints are the club to keep your eyes on this season. They look very dangerous. Definitely hit the ground running and I don't think they'll be relegated. Maybe it's too early for me to be saying things like that, but from that match against City they looked really good.

4. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

did you watch him play vs netherlands earlier ? he did not disappoint

5. Burton

Burton Senior member

LOL. I love that. Mr. Mod go back and read through the posts. I ignore most of the shit that gets flung and contribute. If that is the reason people don't like Manchester United, so be it.

6. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

The main problem with clubs with smaller squads in terms of talent is the succession of games and the injuries to their first team players..

They tend to hit the ground quickly and fade away..

7. Burton

Burton Senior member

It essentially takes two teams to compete at the highest level of the EPL. One for the league and one for the CL or Europa. Other leagues, such as La Ligua, are much easier. Without two teams it becomes a very long season.

8. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

...? The best Liga squads can decently rotate players (Liga, CL, Europa, Copa del Rey). Still not as many cup options as the Premiereship, but really - the Carling Cup? If you're consigning yourself to just winning that each year, good luck.

And midtables in La Liga seemed to beat out the elite of the EPL last season, so.... we'll see which league is easier.

9. the shah

the thing is, EPL was a race of mediocrity last season. i doubt any of the squads, especially below 3rd or 4th place in epl, would do that great in la liga, but this is fundamentally a subjective topic since it will never be testable. i completely agree with you re: midtable teams.

Madrid have at least 2 full squads filled with talent. barcelona do not and they suffered this past season because of that, but their first squad has enough talent to pull off 2nd and copa trophy.

lasbar you're right, sometimes it's not even the first team but maybe 2 or 3 key players that get injured that derails the season for the little clubs. arsenal is now falling into that category of being very dependent :(

10. Burton

Burton Senior member

simply put the bottom EPL teams are stronger than the bottom teams in Spain or Italy. Below Barca, Real and Valencia, the teams are pretty average--it is changing but slowly. Also, almost all other leagues get a holiday during Christmas which does not happen in the EPL. This isn't a comment about which league is better it is a comment about the compeitiveness of the leagues and also the reason any top 6 EPL clubs needs to teams to compete.

11. Burton

Burton Senior member

The only thing I disagree with is the comment about EPL teams performing in La Ligua. Below the top three in La Ligua the quality drops very quickly.

12. Jabonator

Jabonator Senior member

I really think you underestimate the mid-teams of La Liga.

13. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

My soccer team is better than your soccer team.

14. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

I agree with Jabonator. La Liga is quite a race, although there is the top-2 division. Beyond that though, it's almost entirely a free for all. Villarreal, in the space of one year went from competing for 3rd place to being relegated. Even dramatic swings of form in the EPL don't result in such quick dismissal to the lower divisions.

And I do believe Betis or Sociedad could easily dispatch of WBA, Swansea, Aston Villa, etc, let alone Valencia or Bilbao.

Nail on head, Douglas. Nail on head.

(except I'M RIGHT!)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012

15. the shah

that giant marroquain has been bossing the midfield , united need someone in there badly. he capped it off with a nice header too