Soccer • Football • Voetbal • Fútbol • Calcio • Futebol - 2012-2013 Thread (Including EURO2012)

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by El Argentino, May 22, 2012.

1. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

I'm going to watch Spurs WBA saturday the 25th...:slayer:

My company has good season tickets..

2. DLester

DLester Senior member

I can see the superficial appeal of bringing in RvP, but how many more goals is he going to add to the tally? I can't see RvP scoring another 30 on top of what United scored last year. More likely he will take opportunities away from Rooney.

I don't think United needed to improve in the striker department, although someone who follows them more closely than I do may know better.

Good article on how the real winner here is RvP.

http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2012/8/16/3246935/robin-van-persie-manchester-united-analysis

And of course you knew this was coming:

[VIDEO]

[/VIDEO]

3. DLester

DLester Senior member

Jealous. Do you follow Spurs or WBA? Or are you just going as a neutral?

4. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Neutral..

I like going to White Hart lane..

The crowds are quite friendly there..

I went twice to Chelsea last year and the crowds are rougher..

5. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

White Hart Lane? That is an amazing stadium. :worship:

6. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

As a Madridista, I too am ashamed of this. The type of player who does this is not the type of player we (or anyone else) should be picking up.

7. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

8. hhenryhhh

hhenryhhh Senior member

haha, a recently promoted Arsenal reserve player gets sold to Swansea and we're suddenly being "raided" now? Gotta love the press.

9. the shah

^ now if only someone could raid us for Denilson, Bender, Diaby, even Theo can go with that insane wage demand of his...at least Almunia is finally gone !!

you heard abt rvp rumors ? Apparently he and his agent gave wenger & co. a list of players he wanted, including a new RB and a new CB, castigated wenger for not buying van der vaart, told them which players weren't good enough, demanded his own full-time personal physio paid by the club. And the small matter of 13m a year with a 5m signing fee. He wanted to be the highest paid player in the league, more than yaya toure. To be fair, with what man u are giving him he's not far off.

if true, i wonder if he was throwing his good buddy Verm under the bus with that one or if he meant Kosc, in which case he's even nuttier than I thought and means we're prob better off without him if he feels this offended by the squad (tho to be honest the squad is rather pathetic if not overcrowded)

10. hhenryhhh

hhenryhhh Senior member

11. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

I still can't wrap my head completely around RVP to United. It just doesn't make sense. You would think that a central midfielder would be their very top priority. All of the games they lost last year were lost because they couldn't control the midfield.

And Evra has been at fault for buckets of goals over the last two or three seasons and it's clear that while he's great in the court room he's been terrible as a defender. United needs a new left back badly.

Ah well. With Sahin on his way, and lots of other midfield upgrades at the other top clubs in the PL, it's no skin off my nose that they'll be getting run over in the midfield. I'll be rooting for City again this year for the title race.

12. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Evra has been very poor defensively last year and Giggs/Scholes are not getting younger :).

The other youngsters lack experience ..

Vidic will be back and that will be important for United as Ferdinand has lost pace...

Wellbeck will taste the bench a lot more this year..

They have the Japanese guy but he is more an offensive midfielder...

Strange..

They need a Tiote type of player...

13. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

I'm half surprised that more clubs aren't in to hijack M'vila. Then again, after his moody EURO showing, I'm more prone to understand.

Agreed - ManU need their (deep) midfield reinforced. Smalling or Jones do decently on the right, but the Brazilian twins aren't progressing as fast as I'm sure SAF hoped. Fábio though is better than the other. Evra needs to go. Kagawa is a more advanced player^^ ala Kaká in the hole. So much firepower on that team.

Rooney
    Van Persie
    Welbeck
    Hernández
    Berbatov

+Nani
    +Valencia
    +Young
    +Kagawa

All competing for one or two strike positions. Yikes. My prediction is VanPersie as lead striker, with Rooney dropping back in the hole as he enjoys doing (that little balding, ginger, ball of energy). Nani and Valencia on the wings. That leaves a lot of people out. Predict SAF reigns in Kagawa and pairs him with Carrick in central midfield. Fletcher will be coming back (again) but can't count on him in the least. Approaching Hargreaves status.

Surprised VP opted for #20 and didn't lay claim to the famous #7 of Old Trafford.

Wilshire has been assigned Arsenal's #10 w/ Van Persie's departure.

14. the shah

I imagined rooney would be main striker and rvp would be SS as that's more natural , I don't see how rvp can have another 30+ goal season though

Chelsea expressed interest in hernandez but Fergie, as old as he is, still isn't as retarded as wenger to sell to a direct rival...

United defense sucks. i still think despite their weaknesses United will pull something off, maybe not epl title but something. The Fergie factor is too strong to ignore, he's done better with worse squads in the past

Wenger is losing his mind:
    http://m.espn.go.com/soccer/story?storyId=1136161&leagueTag=ENG.1&lang=EN&leagueTag=ENG.1&top

The kid is crippled and out until at least october and I assume he'll be rushed back = out for season
    So wenger wants him to lead from the injury room where the arsenal butchers go to work ... ?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  15. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

Playing both RVP and Rooney would mean that to fit in Kagawa they'd have to play some kind of 4-3-3 amalgamation.

Kagawa would have been much better at Arsenal, Man City, or Spurs. United won't play to his strengths unless they change their style of playing. The Japanese newspapers here are saying that his position will be on the right wing. I suppose they could push him out there if they must but Shinji is absolutely dire on the wings. I think he'll have trouble getting game time and mostly be used as a sub for RVP or Rooney to inject a little creativity in the late stages of a game.