Soccer • Football • Voetbal • Fútbol • Calcio • Futebol - 2012-2013 Thread (Including EURO2012)

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by El Argentino, May 22, 2012.

1. fwiffo

fwiffo Senior member

Yeah but unlike all other countries that may win the World Cup, England purportedly has the most competitive and lucrative league in the world, and they charge a pretty penny to have it broadcasted elsewhere. Only there aren't many (any if you're cynical) quality English (or British players) when it's a band of foreign owners buying more foreign players every season.

One day people will see through it and go watch La Liga or something.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012

2. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

Aside from el Clasicos, La Liga sucks ballsack.

Nothing can match the Premier League. That's a fact.

3. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Sir Humphrey Appleby Senior member

All the top English players care about is money. They don't get paid for playing for England and many managers supposedly tell them to not perform 100% in case they get an injury. Ryan Giggs spent his whole career avoiding national duty by being "injured" for Wales then perfectly able to play 90 mins for Man Utd the next week so its good that he can finally get to play an international.

The allegation that Roy Hodgson did not want to pick black players does not hold up to 7 seconds of looking at his 23 man squad for the Euros.

4. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

They weren't mine! I read them elsewhere!

It's very sad that the players get paid so much even when they lose!! Rooney is on something ridiculous like 250,000 a week or something, there is no incentive to really go for it for most of the players. This has to be one of the most depressing discussions of all time as it is not going to change for a LONG time.

Also, totally agree with FWIFFO, the only English thing about the EPL is that it takes place in England!

5. DLester

DLester Senior member

yay just returned from seeing my Sounders beat Beckham and the LA Galaxy like cheap steak 4-0 in front of over 60,000. Eddie Johnson (formerly Fulham and USMNT) scored, Montero scored, two kids scored, one of which was a 30+ yrd strike, awesome. New signing Tiffert from Kaiserslautern is going to be huge.

And the Sounders' new signing Martinez scored for Honduras off a beautiful volley against Brazil in the Olympics, one of the best goals of the tournament. Looking forward to seeing him join us soon.

awesome.

I am impressed that Becks raced back from London for this game. He did a nice job and can still put a 40 yrd pass on a dime like few I have ever seen.

6. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

^^ Beckham will forever be awesome. Public persona/media sensation aside.

Just got back from Real Madrid / Santos Laguna @ Sam Boyd. FANTASTIC. I've never had (and perhaps never will again) the opportunity to see my team in person before. It was amazing. Not having the cash to buy a ticket, I waited until the second half started - all the box office people closed up and I walked right in, down to the front row! Only saw the second half lineup, but Khedira is way bigger in person than I would have thought. Not quite Zlatan big, but a big fellow. Lineup

Callejón, Benzema, Morata
    Kaká
    Diarra, Khedira
    Şahin, Ramos, Pepe, Fernández

Beat those chavones mexicanos 2-1. I was fixated, but the atmosphere around me was more drunk and relaxed (friendly and all). Still amazing for me to be up that close to mi equipo!

[​IMG]

Football is awesome.

7. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

It is why he is still playing at his age..

Giggs had the time to rest between league seasons..

Rooney will be knackered by the age of 30..

Not enough rest , too many matches , too many competitions...

8. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

One of my English colleague is always going on about how crap are the Spanish and Italian leagues compared to the Premier league...

Most people believe that in England..

The Spanish had Real Madrid and Barcelona in the CL semi and the Europa league had Athletico Madrid and Bilbao in the final..

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012

9. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

What a finish in the USAvCAN game. Alex Morgan @120 minutes w/ the winning header to put the USA against Japan again. :inlove:

10. tullytra

tullytra Senior member

That match was the best of the Olympics: men or women. Rapinoe's goal off the corner was beautiful. I hope Morgan isn't fatigued for the gold medal match. Her speed is such an asset. I'd hate for her to be spent from chasing the ball for 120 minutes.

11. hrb

hrb Senior member

great game (CAN/USA). better than any of the mls matches i've seen this year by far. horrendous officiating.

12. Mark Anthony

Mark Anthony Senior member

Too bad for our Canadian girls, they put up a good fight and the Americans played very well and overall were more dangerous. Tough to lose a close game like that when you get dodgy calls at critical times.

KInda dumb to assign a person with only 4 international games officaiting experience to a semi final game. I mean who allows a player to count the time down for you then tell you to call an infraction? In men's football that player would have been carded in all likelihood.

Some will call if sour grapes, but I could only imagine if the situations were reversed on the three decisions.

That all said, we blew the lead twice before. That corner after it was "awarded" should never have gone in. And our girls need to shut it a bit with the post game comments.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012

13. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

The Americans will win it...

France was all over them for the last 35 minutes ...

If they didn't miss the penalty ,Japan would have been out in extra time..

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012

14. Mark Anthony

Mark Anthony Senior member

The women's game has stepped up in parity so one never truly knows. The US should I agree but they should have won a year ago as well.

15. BDC2823

BDC2823 Senior member

Arsenal have announced the signing of Santi Cazorla from Malaga!