• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Soccer • Football • Voetbal • Fútbol • Calcio • Futebol - 2012-2013 Thread (Including EURO2012)

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They did splash the cash last summer spending almost 58 million pounds, just paid way too much for all of those players.

True, but on the completely unproven Henderson, Carroll, Downing, etc? I get they were trying to put the "ENGLAND" back into Liverpool, but if you're building a competitive team nowadays there's no room for English lads. Just don't have the footballing brain and skills necessary in the modern game. Suarez admittedly worked out for them (sort of), but all that money from the Torres sale essentially went good for nothing.

Instead, you pick up somebody like Modric from Spurs or maybe Shinji Kagawa from Dortmund - somebody w/ marketing power. Bid Carragher adieu and snag someone like Mats Hummels, or Bruno Alves. Someone, anyone who's proven themselves somewhere beforehand.

Reynard369

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

True, but on the completely unproven Henderson, Carroll, Downing, etc? I get they were trying to put the "ENGLAND" back into Liverpool, but if you're building a competitive team nowadays there's no room for English lads. Just don't have the footballing brain and skills necessary in the modern game. Suarez admittedly worked out for them (sort of), but all that money from the Torres sale essentially went good for nothing.
Instead, you pick up somebody like Modric from Spurs or maybe Shinji Kagawa from Dortmund - somebody w/ marketing power. Bid Carragher adieu and snag someone like Mats Hummels, or Bruno Alves. Someone, anyone who's proven themselves somewhere beforehand.

Agree that Liverpool signed some **** players for some ridiculous fees (Charlie Adam as well as the ones you mentioned), but of the players you listed, the only player they would have realistically stood a chance of signing was Bruno Alves.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Prior to his ManU move, I suspect Kagawa may have stood a chance of landing at Liverpool. I realize they're not considered elite anymore in the English game, but I'm approaching this from the beginning of last season as opposed to now. Back then 'pool had just had a bad year, a fluke even, and King Kenny was back to make all right.

Oleg

Reaction score
Adam actually looked quite good alongside Lucas but it all went to buggery when he got injured. And as somebody who's seen Charlie Adam play more than most, nobody was more surprised that he has ended up at a club like Liverpool. There was a bit of a bidding war so that drove up the price a wee bit. But the price paid for the English guys was insane but so too was the price Man City have paid for their English players (Lescott, Milner, Barry).
Interesting choice in Rodgers: seems the players didn't take former Inter Milan manager Roy Hodgson seriously so what hope does a manager who wasn't much of a player have on that basis?

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Adam actually looked quite good alongside Lucas but it all went to buggery when he got injured. And as somebody who's seen Charlie Adam play more than most, nobody was more surprised that he has ended up at a club like Liverpool. There was a bit of a bidding war so that drove up the price a wee bit. But the price paid for the English guys was insane but so too was the price Man City have paid for their English players (Lescott, Milner, Barry).
Interesting choice in Rodgers: seems the players didn't take former Inter Milan manager Roy Hodgson seriously so what hope does a manager who wasn't much of a player have on that basis?

Adams was really good when he was at Blackpool...

The set up was built around him there and it was going to be different at Liverpool..

On the point on English players, they're over-inflated because the crowds want to cheer native players/playing for the national team therefore the explosion in excessive pay packages...

tullytra

Reaction score

I really don't recall Adam ever looking good last season, neither pre nor post injury. I forgot to mention Downing earlier, but he was another pricey English transfer who didn't perform well. If only Liverpool had gotten Scott Parker as well to bolster their English non-producing lineup.

Reynard369

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I really don't recall Adam ever looking good last season, neither pre nor post injury. I forgot to mention Downing earlier, but he was another pricey English transfer who didn't perform well. If only Liverpool had gotten Scott Parker as well to bolster their English non-producing lineup.

To be fair to Parker, he's done well for Spurs.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He has. Despite the flack he received at the EURO too, I've thought his workrate was highly impressive and he throws everything on the line when defending.

Romeu banging the drum about returning to Barcelona. Never saw that coming. :facepalm:

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Incendiary!

LWHQ

Reaction score
Man City or Man Utd got the league this year.

Everton will finish above Liverpool again, because lets face it, Liverpool suck so bad now
musicboohoo[1].gif

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Man City or Man Utd got the league this year.

Everton will finish above Liverpool again, because lets face it, Liverpool suck so bad now
musicboohoo%5B1%5D.gif

Liverpool has no style of play and when Stevie is injured and not match fit , they're struggling...

Apart from Suarez and Gerrard , how many great players are on their books?

Johnson ,Downing are also good players but that is not enough..

LWHQ

Reaction score
Liverpool has no style of play and when Stevie is injured and not match fit , they're struggling...

Johnson and Downing are not good players, they are average at most.

I'm interested to see how Arsenal will do this season too.

tullytra

Reaction score

I'd say Reina's a great keeper and Enrique was very good last year on the back line; but yes, Liverpool are hurting lately. Downing was bad last year. Johnson comes forward well but isn't so hot defending. I hope they give the Europa League their best shot this year. They won't win the Premier League and probably won't qualify for Champions again, so Europa should be a priority.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just watched the old ESPN 30 for 30 The Two Escobars -- sad stuff. :(

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads