• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Soccer • Football • Voetbal • Fútbol • Calcio • Futebol - 2012-2013 Thread (Including EURO2012)

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Last post before the Canada Day holiday weekend so should post my prediction here. Got the GER-ITA score right and if Ronaldo had cooperated I had the other as well.
ESP 0 : 2 ITA
Enjoy the weekend and the game.

I for one would like to see Spain win, just to set up the historic triple for others to chase.
When was the last time Spain gave up two goals in one game in a major tournament? :eh:

More to the point, Spain haven't conceded a goal in a knock-out match since 2006! :satisfied:

frenchytoo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
i agree with you,plus dont forget they wanted to set a new record,which they did.and the more goals the longer the record will stand,good for them.
italy would have done the exact same thing
Never understood the argument about running up the score. What's wrong with that? The Spanish team weren't being asses. You don't want your opponent to score? Then do something about it.

This argument is also used in American Football. Never understood where it came from. Teams are not going to let go of the gas pedal and sympathize with their opponents.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Never understood the argument about running up the score. What's wrong with that? The Spanish team weren't being asses. You don't want your opponent to score? Then do something about it.

This argument is also used in American Football. Never understood where it came from. Teams are not going to let go of the gas pedal and sympathize with their opponents.

It unsportsmanlike. ******* Sergio Ramos.... central defender Sergio Ramos was in the box looking for a goal in the 90th minute against 10 men. Come on.

Look, **** Italy, **** both team actually, I have no sympathy for them but they should have just tapped the ball around midfield for a couple of minutes. There was no need to try and humiliate.

Last edited:

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Szeph el raton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On top of that, it's better see the teams attack till the end than if they go 2:0 and then defend for their lives for the rest of the game without passing through midfield.

I'm a bit surprised by the result. Spain looked like they're not on their best so far and Italy had a great game against Germany, I'd have thought it would be a really close final (either 0:0 + overtime + penalty or a 1:0 for whoever). What a pity I couldn't watch it as I had to leave on a business trip, they showed the final here in the hotel at 01:45 am which wasn't worth it to stay up for :censored:

In the end, congratulations to Spain.

I still don't get all this hate against other teams. And this "xyz isn't ready", "xyz would have won", bla bla. You never know, it's up to daily form of the players and also a lot of luck. As a born German I should be absolutely against France but how can you watch e.g. Ribery run for his life and not have some form of sympathy and think that he deserves some form of success? Some teams are obviously not competing on the same level as the others, but hey, they qualified somehow.

frenchytoo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
i agree again with you,i feel the same way about Portugal and Ronaldo.as much as i hate his theatrics the guy plays every goddamn second of the game and is truly devastated when out,unlike say Robben who looks like a robot out there and waits for the ball to float to him
On top of that, it's better see the teams attack till the end than if they go 2:0 and then defend for their lives for the rest of the game without passing through midfield.
I'm a bit surprised by the result. Spain looked like they're not on their best so far and Italy had a great game against Germany, I'd have thought it would be a really close final (either 0:0 + overtime + penalty or a 1:0 for whoever). What a pity I couldn't watch it as I had to leave on a business trip, they showed the final here in the hotel at 01:45 am which wasn't worth it to stay up for
censored.gif

In the end, congratulations to Spain.
I still don't get all this hate against other teams. And this "xyz isn't ready", "xyz would have won", bla bla. You never know, it's up to daily form of the players and also a lot of luck. As a born German I should be absolutely against France but how can you watch e.g. Ribery run for his life and not have some form of sympathy and think that he deserves some form of success? Some teams are obviously not competing on the same level as the others, but hey, they qualified somehow.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Soccer

Spain are assholes, though. Up 4 - 0 on a team down to 10 men and still trying to score another in the 92nd minute? That's fucked up. All that tiki taka bullshit and then when you want to run up the score you play long ball???

And how much more annoyed would you have been of Spain didn't press in the end and just sat around midfield passing like they were toying with a youth team?

It unsportsmanlike. ******* Sergio Ramos.... central defender Sergio Ramos was in the box looking for a goal in the 90th minute against 10 men. Come on.

Look, **** Italy, **** both team actually, I have no sympathy for them but they should have just tapped the ball around midfield for a couple of minutes. There was no need to try and humiliate.

It is not unsportsmanlike at all. A goal in a final of the Euros is worth more than a medal or trophy, and even more so for a defender who may not often get the chance to be as attack minded (not that this is a problem for Ramos). It would have been unsportsmanlike to end the game by not trying and just playing keep-away

Quatsch

Reaction score
Four goals is one thing. Seven would have been another matter.

HAL 9000

Reaction score

I understand the frustration, but the game has to continue, and that is what defines sportsmanship. KitAkira mentioned a good point: "It would have been unsportsmanlike to end the game by not trying and just playing keep-away". I think that struck gold.

Also, throughout the tournament, Spain had been criticized repeatedly for being "boring" and "not attack-minded enough". They came out and shut everyone up, showing that they are the best and left no doubts. And as mentioned by Kit, if Spain had played keep-away after Motta was out, they would've been criticized even more for their "boring" style.

Like I said, playing till the end is a true sign of sportsmanship because you respect your opponents enough to give it your all.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score

Take this ***** ass bullshit to the Co-Ed Wiffle Ball Thread.

Last edited:

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wish I had been able to see the game. Pleased that Spain won - would've been pleased if Italy had won. But sounds like the game was excited, so will have to find a replay.

We were moving today, driving trucks all day...

HAL 9000

Reaction score
Wish I had been able to see the game. Pleased that Spain won - would've been pleased if Italy had won. But sounds like the game was excited, so will have to find a replay.
We were moving today, driving trucks all day...

Definitely exciting. A lot of people say it was boring, but then again, those are the same people that say Spain and tiki-taka are boring. In this match you'll find that Spain utilized it's possession and were really efficient at scoring.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads