Soccer • Football • Voetbal • Futbol • Calcio 2011/2012

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Brian SD, Jun 21, 2011.

1. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

You're basing your assessment on a few matches, Messi scores more sitters than any player in the world simply because of the talent around him.

Not a big game player? Ronaldo scored the opener in the Champions League final in 2008.

In addition, for Man U he scored many of the goals in 1-0 victories which were integral wins during his seasons there. He scored the FA Cup winner (07 I think) as well. And he scored the winner in the Copa Del Rey. He's only made 1 CL final appearance and make it count. You're wrong.

If your greatest from the greatest comparison is true then why hasn't Messi delivered a World Cup? I'd suggest its the team around him. He happens to have a club team that makes it possible. If Messi and Ronaldo swapped teams I promise you Ronaldo would be winning his 3rd World Player of the Year.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  2. Jabonator

Jabonator Senior member

Well obviously the team around him matters, ffs this is football. It's a team sport. In a theoretical world Ronaldo might be better than Messi, considering all the technical abilities, but in this universe, Messi is currently the greatest.

If you're going to hold his NT career against him, fine. Ronaldo probably would lead Argentina to the WC with Maradona as a coach, and a mediocre team besides the attackers. Switching Ronaldo in for Messi in Barcelona is tough to say whether he'd be doing as well. He's a completely different player. He wouldn't fit the style as well.

A couple of years ago, this was a close debate, but lately, even the Ronaldo and Madrid fans have admitted, that Leo is on a level above him.

3. Guy Burgess

Guy Burgess Senior member

This argument is amazing.

4. ribkin

ribkin Senior member

Dream on buddy.

If Arsenal win, I'll go goth ninja But I have to admit, this is one of the most dysfunctional, inconsistent, unpredictable Rossoneri teams I've seen....

Ah the good old days...

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

5. ribkin

ribkin Senior member

[ self censorship ]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  6. Jabonator

Jabonator Senior member

Ehm, that's what makes Messi better... He can control the ball better, and take on defenders better?

7. venessian

venessian Senior member

That goal came at the perfect moment...Milan had nothing in the 2nd half. Ranieri has done another amazing turnaround job.
    Between CR7 and Messi...in games I've seen, I'd say Messi has been the more dynamic, unpredictable, split-second game-changing player...but I'll give at least 1/2 of that credit to Iniesta, Xavi and the freedom with which Pep lets those guys invent.
    Robinho is a big game player??? :lol:
    I don't know how many AC Milan teams you have seen, but "most" may be going a bit far...they were 2 points from being Winter Champions (fwiw) after all...but this team is a long way from Weah's days, definitely. Milan looked really bad and tired in the 2nd half yesterday, even considering their injuries. Strange moves by Allegri as well. Pato was a total disaster in the 2nd half yesterday; Ibra and Robi not much better. I wonder how much the AC tifosi and Allegri are regretting Berlusconi's decision to overturn the Tevez trade now. Pato is nothing. In any case, Inter are now back in for the scudetto! :slayer:
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]

8. ANIKETOS

ANIKETOS Senior member

Congrats fellow Inter fans.

Pato didnt play for some time.He did however do his usual blazing through it was his shots the completely failed him.People were saying Ibra is the dangerman against us but to me its always Pato who can skip away from our defenders,thankfully he wasnt on his game yesterday. There is also something going on inside the Milan camp (fortunately for us Inter fans) which is the dislike between Ibra and Pato.I also think Allegri is split and thats why he didnt mind getting rid of Pato and getting Tevez. Ibra just said two days ago that his best partner is Cassano,way to encourage the kid.

As for yesterday,it always goes unnoticed but man of the match is certainly Javier Zanetti.This guy is superman and makes it look like defensively we have an extra player (or he makes up for the defensively deficient). His run,his breaking up pllay.He takes the best on without fear,that in addition to playing wherever,and did i mention he is 38!!!!!!!

9. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Sir Humphrey Appleby Senior member

I'm the best player in the world, if I had more natural ability and wasn't a stone overweight and had more stamina and more hard working I'd be able to be a professional footballer.

10. venessian

venessian Senior member

Yes, Ibra has pretty much said Cassano #1, Robinho #2, Pato...no mention. I think the Tevez-Pato deal will still be on. Zanetti was certainly not unnoticed by the RAI commentators...what a match, as usual. Lucio was also a beast in the middle. Inter will need a forward next summer, given Forlan and Milito's age (and Castaignos has not convinced so far) but I still hope it is not Tevez. I really hope they sign Lucas first for the midfield. Then (dreaming) go after Montolivo and Giuseppe Rossi!

11. ribkin

ribkin Senior member

....can't remember the last time that a fan got this excited about getting within 6 points of the top of the table....

Good luck qualifying for next year's Champion's League.

12. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Sir Humphrey Appleby Senior member

IIRC both of Wigan's fans were creaming themselves at getting to fourth at one point in their first season in the Prem. But then Wigan aren't quite as big as Inter.

13. ribkin

ribkin Senior member

I've seen a lot of them. Not even going back as far as Sacchi and Cappello... Carletto's teams.

With this lot you have absolutely no idea what to expect. Going down 3-0 to Lecce, only to come back and win... Maybe we don't value domestic silverware as much as Juve or Inter ... it's not in our D.N.A. :satisfied:

BTW I hope Sneijder gets bought by some premier league team. Sucks we don't have a real fantasista anymore ... we've had Boban, Kaka, Pirlo, Rui Costa just to name a few... Boa is a different type of attacking midfielder that relies more on explosiveness and physical prowesss than creativity and flair... it puts more pressure on Ibra to create chances for his teammates... We should have signed Pastore and Montolivo...

So painful to watch

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  14. Jabonator

Jabonator Senior member

[ ] makes sense

Ronaldo is taller, so it's easier for him to head the ball and shield the ball from defenders. That makes him worse, imo.

15. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

T-Minus 24 Hours.....

[​IMG]

Barca vs LPB with Pep:

Barcelona 1-0 Real Madrid
    Barcelona 2-0 Real Madrid
    Barcelona 2-0 Real Madrid
    Barcelona 6-2 Real Madrid
    Barcelona 5-0 Real Madrid
    Barcelona 1-1 Real Madrid
    Barcelona 0-1 Real Madrid