Soccer • Football • Voetbal • Futbol • Calcio 2011/2012

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Brian SD, Jun 21, 2011.

1. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

RVP now 1 above Thierry and 1 below Shearer :slayer:

2. tullytra

tullytra Senior member

Good lawd that goal was ridiculous for him. He didn't misjudge where the ball was going to land, but he didn't seem to give a damn to actually punch it out. He gave a half-hearted attempt without even leaving the ground. All it would've taken was the slightest elevation, and he could've easily secured or cleared it. I loved the save by either Rovers' keeper or the United player on the ground, not sure who actually got it, at the end to seal it.

3. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

This is why I appreciate Klinsmann going out and "hijacking" young Americans in the Bundesliga before they can "switch nationalities."

Henley at left back would certainly sure up defense with Bocanegra constantly in the center now.

Another "Rossi" *sigh*

4. Quatsch

Quatsch Senior member

I got that from a friend on facebook - I think some guys I know might have played against him at the youth level.

Fertile ground, too. I know from experience that there are a *lot* of people out there living both here and in Germany who are of mixed German/American parentage. There's also good incentive for them to come play for the USA - the German national team right now is amazing, and they've got a pretty young roster.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011

5. Reynard369

Reynard369 Senior member

He's only played at U-19 levels, so it's technically possible for him to switch nationalities. His mother is Welsh, I believe, which explains his decision to play for them.

6. El Argentino

I think if the USA could throw off the monkey wrench of Mexico in the CONCACAF and become the dominant force in the hemisphere, legitimately competing internationally for top honors, you'd see a lot more of these fringe players declare for the USA, thinking they'd be part of something special, rather than shooting for glory w/ their parents' or grandparents' countries.

7. chobochobo

chobochobo Rubber Chicken Dubiously Honored Moderator

What a crazy day. I would never have expected United to lose at home to Blackburn.

Just been reading the report on the Suarez vs Evra affair. Looks bad for the Liverpool player; I think the club will have to take drastic steps. I think the clubs response has been a series of badly advised moves.

8. tullytra

tullytra Senior member

Got crazier today with City dropping all 3 points. They were really unfortunate to not get a goal after they attacked so much in the second half: plenty of solid opportunities. It looked to me that the Sunderland player was off-side on the goal, but it is what it is. Truly a shame that neither Manchester team could take advantage of the other dropping all points.

9. El Argentino

Keeps it nice and tight though for at least another week of suspense. I love when the table compacts and no one is able to distinctly pull away.

10. the shah

arsenal are now 9 points from 1st place ... and i'll remind you all of 2005/6 season, st tottering day will eventually happen.

11. Quatsch

Quatsch Senior member

On the contrary, I'm stoked about it! Makes things exciting. I'd like to see both Manchester teams drop some more points and mix it up.

12. tullytra

tullytra Senior member

It'd work if other clubs decided to actually pick up points. This weekend was really a disappointment at the top. Tottenham gained one on the leaders, yet remains 6 away. They missed a huge opportunity since they have a game in hand. I guess I just assume that the only teams with a chance are United and City, so I'd prefer for them to keep close between them by both picking up the points as opposed to both dropping them.

13. fwiffo

fwiffo Senior member

No movement at the top just means more suspense.

14. fwiffo

fwiffo Senior member

Still fuming about the Cottagers winning over Arsenal. There was no movement at the top - at the very least they could grab a point. I was wrong about Dempsey - ended up being Zamora putting the nail in the coffin.

15. the shah

no clue why Djourou was left on with a yellow considering how involved he kept getting as the game went on, it was all quite a predictable downfall. (well actually i do have a clue, it's Wenger that doesn't, pour tactics and horrible man management and even worse market [panic] buys and overreliance on RVP who at one point was clearing Fulham corners LOL)

this was completely not unpredictable

one thing i don't understand is the violation of physics that took place -- gervinho, inside the box, took a shot that left the box before going out behind the touchline. that seems incredibly difficult to accomplish