Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Soccer • Football • Voetbal • Futbol • Calcio 2011/2012

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Brian SD, Jun 21, 2011.

1. venessian

venessian Senior member

Got it. Congratulations on your upcoming degree and good luck on your J.D. Yes, for $35 I would definitely go to Galaxy matches. Home Depot is a nice place, etc., but $85 is just a bit too steep.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011

2. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Özil over Sneijder, eh?

Whoa, sensing some suppressed feelings there

3. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

Then again, the league is only 18 years old so it's hard to really expect it to compare to the established Euro leagues

4. venessian

venessian Senior member

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011

5. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Really excited for Denmark/Portugal today - albeit not the most important game of the day, but still should be entertaining.

And then too tonight, Ecuador/USA. Pleased that Klinsmann got his first win in their last game. Brek Shea looks really good to me - hope that he can step it up and become a staple in the US side, especially as Donovan and Dempsey age.

As a side note, particularly for any Americans on the board - ever notice the aversion to singing the national anthem that the USMNT typically has? I mean, in just about any international match, everyone will sing their anthem loud and proud, but it's not "the thing to do" in the USA. Is that a representation of an aversion to US nationalism in general? An over-concern with "offending" other nations? I would think you pull that shirt on and you should effectively represent your country with all the passion possible. Just wondering others thoughts.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011

6. tullytra

tullytra Senior member

For the bolded, I think it is just that the way they are. Wherever I have been when the national anthem is played, people tend to not belt it out at the top of their lungs. The only people I've seen oozing that much patriotism were extremely drunk individuals at sporting events, which these guys obviously aren't.

For the underlined, I sure hope it isn't an aversion to US nationalism in general. Everyone should be damn proud of their nationality, and I'd tend to believe the players are very proud to wear that jersey.

7. DLester

DLester Senior member

I don't recall what happened the last time I saw the USMNT play, but people generally sing it around these parts. At Sounders games, the whole stadium sings the entire song loudly regardless of who we are playing. The bandmaster usually just sings the first line, and maybe another line later in the song, but that is it.

I think the issue is that people are self conscous singing around strangers in public. Basically everyone at the Sounders game is a season ticket holder and knows the people around them. There aren't any season tix holders for USMNT games.

fyi there is no "aversion to US nationalism" in the US. We love chest-beating nationalism -- fighter jets flying over the stadium, troops parachuting into the stadium, flags pinned to everything or waiving about, cannons going off when goals are scored (the Revs do this) etc. on and on. You must be confusing us with Canada :)

8. Reynard369

Reynard369 Senior member

Some great Euro matches. Ireland clinch 2nd place for a playoff spot, hopefully they don't get France!

9. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

France got lucky, sad to see them need that luck, but the draw is as good as a win.

10. venessian

venessian Senior member

Yes, some good matches today. France-B/H was a nail-biter (but I thought B/H deserved the win). EURO 2012 Cassano was excellent today! 2 great goals. Italy are looking good. Only 2 goals allowed in 10 matches, and the offense is taking shape. Germany and Spain are the only unbeaten, untied teams (too bad, NOBD; you guys had it also). However, Holland have the most goals (37) and the best goal difference (+29). Impressive. That Dzeko goal against France was something. Nice comeback by the Bleus...if you like the Bleus, that is.... I’m surprised by Belgium’s play. I thought they were going to do better. Is Greece for real? Happy for Trap and Ireland! Advanced directly to FINALS. Advanced to PLAY-OFFS. GROUP A: GERMANY TURKEY Belgium Austria Azerbaijan Kazakhstan GROUP B: RUSSIA IRELAND Armenia Slovakia Macedonia Andorra GROUP C: ITALY ESTONIA Serbia Slovenia Northern Ireland Faroe Islands GROUP D: FRANCE BOSNIA/HERZEGOVINA Romania Belarus Albania Luxembourg GROUP E: HOLLAND SWEDEN (best runner-up) Hungary Finland Moldova San Marino GROUP F: GREECE CROATIA Israel Latvia Georgia Malta GROUP G: ENGLAND MONTENEGRO Switzerland Wales Bulgaria GROUP H: DENMARK PORTUGAL Norway Iceland Cyprus GROUP I: SPAIN CZECH REPUBLIC Scotland Lithuania Lichtenstein

11. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

NOBD is not content.

12. venessian

venessian Senior member

Greedy?
    Most goals, best goal diff, 1st in group (in perhaps the toughest group), looking dominant, etc.
    What more do you want?
    Free Hober oranje grenadine ties (with blue bar tack) for the entire squad?
    :)

13. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

:)

Yes, I guess greedy—I wanted all thirty points. We dominated the match, but gave away two goals, and a free kick that led to the third (the first of the match; excellent free kick though).

14. worakl

worakl Senior member

Germany are really producing youngster after youngster that's class at the moment. [​IMG]

15. Biggen

Biggen Senior member

Well, I'm really glad we managed to beat you guys, now I don't have to sit through a nerve-wrecking play-off. :D