1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Soccer • Football • Voetbal • Futbol • Calcio 2011/2012

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Brian SD, Jun 21, 2011.

1. comeonyouspurs

comeonyouspurs Well-Known Member

Neymar. In a year or two his development will take him to well over 90. I'm assuming you have the budget to bring him in too having sold Ronaldo and the fact that you're RM's manager lol

Those 20 year olds in the market that are 75-80 overall are priceless. Snap em up, watch em grow. Kyle Walker went from a 76 to an 80 in one season for me.

My friends and I rag on the MLS all the time. We all think the league should be a little bit more open and attempt development in a much less controlled way but that's just our opinion. At the end of the day, I'm still happy it exists. In a decade the MLS will be quite the league. But I barely watch it now. And I really don't care when I catch shit from America football fans that all my interests lie abroad. I just like that football much better.

2. venessian

venessian Senior member

El Arg, how much are tickets up there? You drive from Vegas to SLC for games? For Galaxy the cheap tickets (other than on the grass) are $75-$85, which is quite $$$ imo considering the level of play and that I can see a derby at San Siro (quite decent seats too) for Euro 60-80.
    Ah, CR7...always breaking hearts.... Sign Tevez ASAP, before Anzhi snap him up!!! :lookaround: ;)

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  3. DLester

DLester Senior member

Seattle Sounders sell out every reg season game at 35k. Extra tix are available for the last game of the season (the upper deck of Century Link field is being opened up), and 55k tix are sold for that.

4. Reynard369

Reynard369 Senior member

Which is impressive. But how is the attendance of other MLS clubs?

5. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Meh match, but 27 out of 9. NOBD is content.

6. venessian

venessian Senior member

EURO 2012...some surprises today. GROUP A: Germany already qualified for the finals, and looking damned strong. Belgium was supposed to be so good, but they look like they're out now; they have to play at #1 Germany on Oct. 11 while Turkey host #5 Azerbaijan for a spot in the play-offs. GROUP B: Russia already qualified for the finals or play-off. Much-maligned Armenia seriously threatening to move into the play-offs. Oct. 11 Armenia at Ireland for all the marbles. Come on Trap! GROUP C: Italy already qualified for the finals. A snoozer ("meh match" #2) between Italia-Serbia, 1-1, but at least no violence. Serbia have to beat Slovenia on Oct. 11 or Estonia advance to the play-offs. GROUP D: France and Bosnia/Herzegovina advance to the finals or play-offs. Whatever happened to Romania??? Somewhere Gheorghe Hagi is crying. GROUP E: Always spry (but feeling a bit "meh" but also content today) NOBD already qualified for the finals. Really tired Ibra advance to the play-offs. GROUP F: Greece and Croatia advance to the finals or play-offs. GROUP G: England already qualified for the finals. Montenegro shocker to move into 2nd (play-offs) and knock Switzerland out.... Rooney.... :facepalm: GROUP H: Who wants this group? Portugal? They're throwing it away against Iceland now. If Portugal hold on, Norway will be out and it will be Portugal at Denmark on Oct. 11 to determine the group winner. EDIT: Portugal roars back; Portugal at Denmark for the group on Oct. 11. GROUP I: Spain already qualified for the finals If Czech beat Lithuania (at Lithuania) on Oct. 11, Scotland have to beat Lichtenstein tomorrow AND beat Spain at Alicante on Oct. 11 in order to knock Czech out. Who's betting on Scotland?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  7. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

:)

Hagi was a great player; thanks for mentioning him.

8. venessian

venessian Senior member

He really was. I saw him play live against Colombia and Valderrama in 1994 at the WC, Pasadena. 2 incredible personalities, great match, 3-1 Romania but really closer than that. I loved those guys. [​IMG] [​IMG] Some Dutch commentary on this amazing Hagi (2-0) goal just for you: :) [VIDEO][/VIDEO] It's great to be able to watch Hagi setting up, from the goalkeeper's pov, the 2 watching each other so closely, and Hagi still beats Cordoba! Perfect touch.

9. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Venessian,

I'm currently in Utah wrapping up university studies and gearing up to jump into law school. I claim Vegas because I love it there so much more than here. Average price of a regular season RSL game is maybe $35. Not bad at all.

I did scoop up Neymar, and he's up to an 89 after one season. Tevez jumped ship to noveau-rich PSG. Front trident of Aguero/Benzema, Higuain, and Neymar. Ozil is quick becoming my favorite digital player

10. xudisco07

xudisco07 Senior member

I agree, he is fantastic and my first buy. I'm managing Chelsea and after the first season people were offering me $100 mil for Sturridge and $120 million for Ozil. One of the teams was Fulham too.

11. venessian

venessian Senior member

Got it. Congratulations on your upcoming degree and good luck on your J.D. Yes, for $35 I would definitely go to Galaxy matches. Home Depot is a nice place, etc., but $85 is just a bit too steep.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  12. El Argentino

Özil over Sneijder, eh?

Whoa, sensing some suppressed feelings there

13. KitAkira

KitAkira Senior member

Then again, the league is only 18 years old so it's hard to really expect it to compare to the established Euro leagues

14. venessian

venessian Senior member

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  15. El Argentino

Really excited for Denmark/Portugal today - albeit not the most important game of the day, but still should be entertaining.

And then too tonight, Ecuador/USA. Pleased that Klinsmann got his first win in their last game. Brek Shea looks really good to me - hope that he can step it up and become a staple in the US side, especially as Donovan and Dempsey age.

As a side note, particularly for any Americans on the board - ever notice the aversion to singing the national anthem that the USMNT typically has? I mean, in just about any international match, everyone will sing their anthem loud and proud, but it's not "the thing to do" in the USA. Is that a representation of an aversion to US nationalism in general? An over-concern with "offending" other nations? I would think you pull that shirt on and you should effectively represent your country with all the passion possible. Just wondering others thoughts.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  16. tullytra

tullytra Senior member

For the bolded, I think it is just that the way they are. Wherever I have been when the national anthem is played, people tend to not belt it out at the top of their lungs. The only people I've seen oozing that much patriotism were extremely drunk individuals at sporting events, which these guys obviously aren't.

For the underlined, I sure hope it isn't an aversion to US nationalism in general. Everyone should be damn proud of their nationality, and I'd tend to believe the players are very proud to wear that jersey.

17. DLester

DLester Senior member

I don't recall what happened the last time I saw the USMNT play, but people generally sing it around these parts. At Sounders games, the whole stadium sings the entire song loudly regardless of who we are playing. The bandmaster usually just sings the first line, and maybe another line later in the song, but that is it.

I think the issue is that people are self conscous singing around strangers in public. Basically everyone at the Sounders game is a season ticket holder and knows the people around them. There aren't any season tix holders for USMNT games.

fyi there is no "aversion to US nationalism" in the US. We love chest-beating nationalism -- fighter jets flying over the stadium, troops parachuting into the stadium, flags pinned to everything or waiving about, cannons going off when goals are scored (the Revs do this) etc. on and on. You must be confusing us with Canada :)

18. Reynard369

Reynard369 Senior member

Some great Euro matches. Ireland clinch 2nd place for a playoff spot, hopefully they don't get France!

19. KitAkira

KitAkira Senior member

France got lucky, sad to see them need that luck, but the draw is as good as a win.

20. venessian

venessian Senior member

Yes, some good matches today. France-B/H was a nail-biter (but I thought B/H deserved the win). EURO 2012 Cassano was excellent today! 2 great goals. Italy are looking good. Only 2 goals allowed in 10 matches, and the offense is taking shape. Germany and Spain are the only unbeaten, untied teams (too bad, NOBD; you guys had it also). However, Holland have the most goals (37) and the best goal difference (+29). Impressive. That Dzeko goal against France was something. Nice comeback by the Bleus...if you like the Bleus, that is.... I’m surprised by Belgium’s play. I thought they were going to do better. Is Greece for real? Happy for Trap and Ireland! Advanced directly to FINALS. Advanced to PLAY-OFFS. GROUP A: GERMANY TURKEY Belgium Austria Azerbaijan Kazakhstan GROUP B: RUSSIA IRELAND Armenia Slovakia Macedonia Andorra GROUP C: ITALY ESTONIA Serbia Slovenia Northern Ireland Faroe Islands GROUP D: FRANCE BOSNIA/HERZEGOVINA Romania Belarus Albania Luxembourg GROUP E: HOLLAND SWEDEN (best runner-up) Hungary Finland Moldova San Marino GROUP F: GREECE CROATIA Israel Latvia Georgia Malta GROUP G: ENGLAND MONTENEGRO Switzerland Wales Bulgaria GROUP H: DENMARK PORTUGAL Norway Iceland Cyprus GROUP I: SPAIN CZECH REPUBLIC Scotland Lithuania Lichtenstein