1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Soccer • Football • Voetbal • Futbol • Calcio 2011/2012

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Brian SD, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Sir Humphrey Appleby Senior member

When a long term and successful manager leaves a club and is replaced by an outsider it never works. Look at Liverpool's continued success using the boot room, which ended when Souness took over after a spell managing Rangers, and Leeds United's failure in the 1975 season after the Don took the England job, despite having one of the best managers of the day take over (admittedly a very different manager who had criticised the players before and after taking over).

Anyone else will have different methods and ideas to Ferguson and the squad will take a lot of adjusting to get used to it, someone groomed by Ferguson would continue his way of working and will be much less of a jump for the players (and the new guy will know the players and they will know him). Give it 10 or 15 years and most players who played under Ferguson will have left or retired and it may well be a good job, but not now. Ferguson has had too much influence over that club for too long for anyone other than a long term number two to take over.

2. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Awright. Cant argue too much with that.

3. DLester

DLester Senior member

This basically. Also "you know you want me back baby."

Roman's first choice is Pep, but Pep is laughing it off, which is the right thing to do. It would be like leaving a beautiful, amazing woman for a trainwreck bitch with an oppressive father who keeps a loaded .45 in his drawer with your name on it.

1 person likes this.
  4. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Problem with Chelsea is there are only 3 managers in the world that could do it: Pep, Mourinho, Hiddink

Otherwise all you'll get is a paycheck payoff manager which will know in advance he'll be fired.

5. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

I don't really buy all of this stuff from Guardiola, "I'm tired and need to take a break" - The average lifespan of a head coach is far more than 4 years. It's Barça, but how could the job really be that much more demanding?

I think more people could man Chelsea than just Guus, Pep, and Mou. If they were really given authority to "break the Chelsea spine" and get fresh blood in there I bet a majority of the younger/newer players would rally around that.

6. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Re Pep... that guy has aged. Look at a pic of him in '07

Re Chelsea... come on dude, isnt that what AVB was there to do??? Problem is that he wasnt given the ability to work and no manager can at that club save a few with the pull to make it happen. Problem at Chelsea is a Roman A wants to buy the players and he doesnt seem to be very good it. Look how Mourinho reacted when he bought Shevchenko.

Chelsea is like wealthy white trash. You dont accept how fucked up it is because of the money.

7. El Argentino

I agree w/ you on AVB to a point - he wasn't allowed to break the spine though. That's the holdout of former Mourinho players who feel entitled to run the show behind the manager's back. Break that - Drogba, Lampard, Terry, (Cole), and you have a whole different team.

Abramovich does interfere too much w/ purchases and team selection though.

Wow - Guardiola does look older. That's kind of frightening. The only other instance of that sort of aging I've seen is US presidents. Look at GWB in 2001 and then in 2008. It's like a lifetime in 8 years.

8. ClaroNymski

ClaroNymski Member

I think AVB's time at Chelsea has probably scared off most potential candidates, Benítez will take the job since no one else is likely to hire him. Other than that who would want that job, it's already controlled by JT and Frank.

9. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Exactly. This hire was supposed to be THE HIRE and THE TURN the club wanted to right the manager merry go round. Nope. I still dont understand why Roman A didnt keep the manager and relegate some players as a signal to the remainder of the dressing room they better move their asses.

10. Quatsch

Quatsch Senior member

Regarding Pep, I think that as far as schedules permit it, he is also the manager of the B squad and probably expends nearly as much time on them as he does the first team. So managing two teams would be a pretty busy and hectic lifestyle.

11. ClaroNymski

ClaroNymski Member

I thought Eusebio became head of Barcelona B when Enrique left.

12. Quatsch

Quatsch Senior member

Maybe so - I thought I had read that but I may be mistaken.

13. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

There's no way he can be the B team coach. he may have input, but he is not the full time guy.

Being the manager for the biggest team in the world, where every single game is a must win (because the other team is winning them, too)...and not only a must win, but a must win with style, and every move is scrutinized to the Nth degree, you can see why he's aged so much.

Pep will be back. No way he turns his back on his heart and soul. I hope :embar:

14. El Argentino

Geez - Messi runs riot yet again. And a sweet shot by Tello to make it 4-nil

15. millionaire75

millionaire75 Senior member

6 nil....am i reading that right? Aren't Leverkusen a good team?

16. Quatsch

Quatsch Senior member

9-1 on aggregate. Just let that sink in a minute

17. millionaire75

millionaire75 Senior member

18. ClaroNymski

ClaroNymski Member

19. El Argentino

20. Lionheart Biker

Lionheart Biker Senior member

I left my house to go to the gym and it was 1-0 for Barca. I arrived there 20 minutes later and it was already 5-0.
    Lio is just too good. That goalkeeper is gonna have nightmares about him for a while.