Soak, then wear till dry!!

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by JoMak_NYC, Jul 19, 2006.

1. JoMak_NYC

JoMak_NYC Senior member

Does this method of stretching jeans really work? What are the tried and proven ways of going about this.

PS: What types of denim does it work/not work for?

thanks!!

2. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Big Winner

3. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

incredible, how could you wear soaked jeans around without getting blue stuff allover the place?

4. BigSur

BigSur Senior member

I've tried it for jeans that were torture to put on and it worked great. Don't expect them to be perfectly stretched out once they dry. You'll likely have to invest another day or two of wearing--at least I did.

5. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

The Levi's store in SF used to (not sure if they still do) have a hot tub in which you sit with jeans, then go into a huge person-sized dryer to dry the jeans to your body. I'm not sure about that method, but it sounds like it would work, i.e. sitting in a hot tub for 10 minutes then drying outside in the sun?

6. cheapmutha

cheapmutha Senior member

The Levi's store in SF used to (not sure if they still do) have a hot tub in which you sit with jeans, then go into a huge person-sized dryer to dry the jeans to your body. I'm not sure about that method, but it sounds like it would work, i.e. sitting in a hot tub for 10 minutes then drying outside in the sun?
    that sounds really effin cool

7. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

The proper method is to cold soak your jeans in the bathtub for about an hour or so. Then put them on (your scrotum will contract to about the size of a peanut during this procedure). Sit in the tub wet for about an hour until the jeans have dried a bit. Then go outside and wear them until fully dry.

Wearing them in a hot tub is BAD. Hot water + chlorine = no no.

8. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

The hot water will make them shrink, that's certain, but wouldn't they shrink directly to the contours of your body since you are wearing them? You could substitute a bathtub with fresh water for a hot tub if you are concerned about the chlorine?

9. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

This is suppose to be the way the cowboys made their jean so tight they wouldn't snag while riding. Story is the did the same with their new boots so the boots would not come off while working.

10. mizanation

mizanation Senior member

the method i used is to soak, then hang dry. then wear after the jeans have dried a little bit, but are still pretty damp. in the summer time, without AC, it feels pretty good.

then, pull the denim up so you get the proper creases. walk around, sit and surf the web, take a nap, etc. by the time your jeans dry, you will have some nice creases:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. chadler

chadler Well-Known Member

will soaking your jeans in cold water and then hang drying shrink them as much as soaking in warm/hot water?

12. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

will soaking your jeans in cold water and then hang drying shrink them as much as soaking in warm/hot water?

Nope.

13. chadler

will they shrink at all? i need to do a cold soak because i want to removed as little indigo as possible

14. digital_denim

digital_denim Big Lose

a warm soak won't remove much indigo, but will shrink more than a cold soak. You'll just lose starch either way.

15. chadler

^^ so now my question is...with all these ppl so affraid that their jeans will shrink too short after the first wash...why don't they just wash them in cold water?

what's the point of buying your jeans extra long, having to deal with the extra length for 6+ months when all one has to do is use cold instead of warm/hot water? [​IMG]