• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So you're making drinks at home

k23zzz

Reaction score
What kind of tools, accessories, glasses, etc. should I get? Nothing I've found has struck me as remarkable or really worth purchasing. I've just moved into my own place and I'm not just drinking 30's of Natty Ice and Handles of Smirnoff anymore. I want to step my drinking game up, but I'm not sure how to do it. Any help?

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
to start
a boston shaker and mixing glass
it should come with a hawthorne strainer if you wish to go wild get a julep strainer..
and a martini mixing glass.
a citrus juice press if you do not have one already
muddler

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Jigger and pony above all else

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah. Boston shaker, jigger, muddler, hawthorne strainer, citrus press. Other than that, glasses. I think you can make most drinks with a martini glass, a longdrink glass and a tumbler. You may want to get a cocktail cup and a "smaller longdrink" glass, too.

I have a boston shaker and hawthorne strainer from Carl Mertens. Good quality. But sometimes it doesn't close that good, likely my fault though. I add the liquids to the glass, add the ice, "ram" the metal part on top and start shaking. The coldness should melt them together, but that's not always the case -- after ten seconds it may slip a little and a small amount of cocktail runs out. Suggestions?

Also, while we are at it, what's your take on double-straining (i.e. hawthorne strainer + tea strainer). I don't really like the small splinters of ice, and they're often there after shaking. Le Lion doesn't do it, and the small ice flakes melt after a minute or so, but until then it's not too great imo.

Oh, you may also want to get a whisky nosing glass and some sort of glass for other neat spirits. And Champagne flutes. If you like tropical drinks like drinks like Pina Colada, you may want to get a Hurricane glass. For better understanding, pictures:

Longdrink

smaller Longdrink"

Martini glass

Cocktail cup

Champagne flutes

"other" neat spirits, like Grappa and Obstbrand

One for scotch etc. has a wider body.

Hurricane Glass

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads