Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

So...which online MTM is the best?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by bugatti.veyron, Nov 27, 2010.

1. bugatti.veyron

bugatti.veyron Senior member

I've searched through these threads and I can't seem to figure out what the general consensus is. It's probably because moderntailor is newer on this forum, but there hasn't been much comparison between it and the other online MTMs.

So in terms of quality/price, reliability, customer service, etc, which one is the best?

(sorry if I missed any...never ordered online MTM before so I'm not very familiar with the options)

2. ludakrishna

ludakrishna Member

I have ordered MTM shirts from Biased Cut a lot of times along with one from Modern Tailor. So far, I'm really pleased with Biased Cut. Modern Tailor was just an odd fit. I will take pictures and post them. Also, don't overlook your local tailor route. I bought a couple dress shirts from the local department store and got them tailored for $15. The fit is almost as good as the ones from Biased Cut.

3. ludakrishna

ludakrishna Member

4. P-K-L

P-K-L Senior member

5. ALFAMALE

ALFAMALE Senior member

Just got a shirt from cottonwork, its my best fitting shirt in my wardrobe. The only down side, is the fabric feels a little cheap.

6. landshark

landshark Senior member

[​IMG]

here's a comparison

Are these images flipped by chance? If not, they are all cut for women with the buttons on the wrong side.

7. Phiberglass

Phiberglass Senior member

I'm wondering the same. Also, are you guys doing measurements or sending in a great fitting shirt. I haven't really come up on a great fitting shirt, so I'm thinking about doing the measurements. Would you recommend having a tailor do them, or would having a friend do it be fine.

8. my_alias

my_alias Well-Known Member

For just shirts i've been using nialma
    Top stuff

9. Wrigglez

Wrigglez Senior member

i've used modern tailor for a shirt and it was a great result.
    Thick as thieves has been fantastic for suits/pants for me also.

10. scurvyfreedman

scurvyfreedman Senior member

I think having someone measure in person is important and gets the fit right faster. That's why I use MyTailor. I also like their fabric choices at the top end.

11. GBR

GBR Senior member

They are all suffer from one overwhelming drawback: Self measurement and their interpretation of it.

12. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored

[​IMG]

here's a comparison

local tailor is way off. did you wtch him measure and tell him what you want?

biased cut is way too tight in the hips and waist. there are some other issues as well.

modern tailor also has some oddities.

13. .Kurtz.

.Kurtz. Senior member

Are these images flipped by chance? If not, they are all cut for women with the buttons on the wrong side.

I guess this is due to the mirror inversion. The pictures should have been flipped afterwards, before posting them.

14. Simplicio

Simplicio Senior member

I have also used Mytailor.com. I agree that having the measurement done in person is a big advantage. I have generally been pleased with their shirts, although I tend to wear them more for casual or business casual than as true dress shirts. One criticism I have of them is that they use cheap-looking buttons. Its a small detail, but it is the kind of thing that matters to many on SF. I'm not sure why they don't change this. The incremental cost to them would be fairly trivial, and it would make the shirts much more appealing.

15. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Senior member

ModernTailor.com and MyTailor.com both make good stuff, and I have shirts from both. The difference is the delivery schedule; MyTailor once took 11 weeks to make me a shirt (based on a previously used pattern, no less) and that is frankly not acceptable. At this point I only use 'em when I can't find the fabric I want at ModernTailor.