• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So, where do you guys shop?

Soprano28

Reaction score
It seems I was slighted for my taste in clothes (H&M, Zara, Gap), so I'm curious to hear where you guys shop. Maybe I can discover a new place through you people. Go.

colabear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like Marc Jacobs, it's my favorite designer brand. I shop at the SF, Mercer St, and Chicago locations, but the hot store manager in Chicago, Andrew already left the company and it's all girls in the store now.
I also go to my local Barneys specially during the sales. Robbie the cute sa is cool.
The Gap for all the basics like jeans, layering tees, and I'm loving their selections of button down shirts for the past few seasons.
I also like Marshall's and Nordstrom Rack. I just got this Jack Spade leather bomber jacket from Nordy Rack marked down 65% off retail
I also have been frequently shopping at the new Barneys Warehouse near me but mostly for gifts. I bought a Dries bag there recently. Not been shopping at vintage stores lately coz I haven't found anything good for a while and also because I'm not feeling the nostalgic/vintage look at the moment.

jigarnaut

Reaction score
I mostly go for J. Crew. A lot of their stuff fits me perfectly and it's pretty good value if you buy somethings on sale, which is almost every day. But I like Bonobos a lot too. The only problem is that it's hard to know what fits you well with an online store like Bonobos. They do have some brick and mortar locations where you can try things on though. It is a bit more expensive to shop at Bonobos though.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Clothing choices depend on a lot: your age, your location, where you work, where you go, etc...
I'm 45. My dress code at work is business casual but I would say many of my management peers wear dress shirts and quality wool pants. No one wears a tie. Lots of people there wear aging polo style shirts and bad khakis though. Years ago when I made the switch from the docker-style khakis and sport shirts I was wearing to a more upscale I bought Banana Republic and JCrew. They have some nice stuff. But, I quickly realized that while I needed a Large for my chest, they typically had arms that were too long. Buying traditional dress shirts with collar and sleeve size has been a great improvement in how the shirts look on me. I tend to buy shirts from Brooks Brothers and Charles Tyrwhitt for my work shirts. Casual shirts are different. I still find Polo brand to make a nice, casual shirt. I really like BR's t-shirts but I've found some that are just as nice looking at other stores - nothing wrong with a Gap t-shirt.

I've bought a couple items from a local bespoke shop but so far just off-the-shelf offerings - some shoes and a sportcoat.

For more specific items, I usually have an idea in mind and I'll spend a great amount of time researching to find what I want at the quality/price I want and I don't care who makes it. I bought a wool coat from Johnston and Murphy. I wouldn't buy their shoes anymore but they had a coat style that was a bit different than the standard pea coat everyone wears. It has been great for 3 years and I love it. 2 years ago when searching for a rain coat that was mid-length it was tough to find. I didn't want to spend $1200 but did want more of a traditional style. Low and Behold Banana Republic came out with exactly what I was looking for and only $150 or so. Last year, I wanted to complete my jacket selection and wanted a leather jacket again. I ended up getting one from Aero Leather. Easily a much better leather and construction than what I was seeing from designer labels. I had had a lambskin coat years ago that looked fabulous for 1 season then it was so scratched up it looked like crap. I was able to get a horsehide coat from Aero and select the style, get the look and quality I wanted.

I've picked up advice here on belts.

For jeans, I found that the Italian lucky jeans seem to fit me the best from the several pairs I wore. So, now I just pay attention for sales on them. Might get it from Amazon, who knows? I want to pay <$80 It's not worth it for me to buy $220 jeans and they don't look any better on me than the lucky's do.

It took me trying about 4 different places for my dress shirts to find out that the way the shirts from BB fit me the best. TT shirts fit a little less well but I get more styles from them (plus more cuffs available there). Be open to trying some different places, but don't let people here tell you that you MUST buy from a certain place.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads