• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"So when are you two going to have kids?"

dinted voice

Reaction score
I am currently 26 and have been married for 3 years, but I get this question quite a bit. I usually brush it off with, maybe 5 years. When I was asked today, it got me thinking...

How many of you are married, over 40 with no kids? Or DINKS?

I realize I am young, but the idea of children is not appealing to me in the least.

Do you find more and more people in your area married without kids, than say 10 years ago? I live in southwest Virginia, so the natural order here is get married, wait 6 months to a year and have kids. I am sure it will differ depending on your area.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I want to be a DINK, but I don't want the world to suffer by not having any KWilk offspring. It's a rough situation to be in.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
if you got married at 23 without the intent of having kids you are the dumbest **** ever. should be out sampling vag.

dinted voice

Reaction score
Even dumber than manouche?
bounce2.gif

Thanks for your brutal honesty. When I got married I didn't (and still don't) think of kids as the only goal or purpose of marriage. Please, feel free to call me names if you wish.
smile.gif

Kunk...at what age did you get married? You do have kids right? I remember you were thinking about getting a dog.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^yeah man, was only kidding. i got married at 23, had my first child at 24. we are very lucky to have made it through being on the balls of our ass financially and having a child and being married young. it's not all roses, but i am happy overall and with her. i'm probably not the one to ask, because no offense to anyone, but i don;t understand marriage at any age without children.

i started sexing it up at 14 so had kind of sewn my wild oats but for many, i think you need to know what you don;t want before you know what you do want.

they are a pain in the balls sometimes but my kids are the great joy of my life and again, overall wouldn;t trade the wife for anyone, except maybe a clone of her who enjoyed anal more.

how long were you together before you got married? and please tell me she wasn;t your first/only?

dinted voice

Reaction score
We were together 5 years before marriage, but she was not my first/only. We started dated in my senior year of high school and through out college.

To some it may sound crazy, but I don't regret a thing.

Liam

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dinted voice
I am currently 26 and have been married for 3 years, but I get this question quite a bit. I usually brush it off with, maybe 5 years. When I was asked today, it got me thinking...

How many of you are married, over 40 with no kids? Or DINKS?

I realize I am young, but the idea of children is not appealing to me in the least.

Do you find more and more people in your area married without kids, than say 10 years ago? I live in southwest Virginia, so the natural order here is get married, wait 6 months to a year and have kids. I am sure it will differ depending on your area.

It's no ones business but you and your wifes when you plan on starting your family. Let them ask away, goes for your own family too.
A lot of my friends have kids before marriage and then get married.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
good for you. i kinda resent when people say you shouldn't marry young as there's no perfect formula.

Originally Posted by dinted voice
We were together 5 years before marriage, but she was not my first/only. We started dated in my senior year of high school and through out college.

To some it may sound crazy, but I don't regret a thing.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
how does your wife feel about having kids?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
then thats the only thing that matters.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good for you man!

The GF and I aren't planning on having kids, and pobably won't get married. We;ll have the party, the family, and all that, but just won't do the paperwork. We're both very socially liberal, and view 'marriage' as living together happily, not a piece of paperwork. If we ever were to want to stop living together, it would be easy to move out and move on without any legal bindings.

Were I in your position, I would enjoy telling people about you and your wife's plans. It's nice to shake people's sterotypes/expectations up sometimes, and show them that you're doing what makes YOU happy.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
^yeah man, was only kidding. i got married at 23, had my first child at 24. we are very lucky to have made it through being on the balls of our ass financially and having a child and being married young. it's not all roses, but i am happy overall and with her. i'm probably not the one to ask, because no offense to anyone, but i don;t understand marriage at any age without children.

i started sexing it up at 14 so had kind of sewn my wild oats but for many, i think you need to know what you don;t want before you know what you do want.

they are a pain in the balls sometimes but my kids are the great joy of my life and again, overall wouldn;t trade the wife for anyone, except maybe a clone of her who enjoyed anal more.

how long were you together before you got married? and please tell me she wasn;t your first/only?

kunk - you could write for hallmark!
inlove.gif

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ i know. can you ******* believe I get paid to write professionally?

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ok, so for those of you that don't want kids, do you feel any sort of social backlash against you at work, with friends that have kids, etc.?

i'm 36 and don't want to have kids but i have to say that society seems to want to drum it into you that you're less of a person if you have that mentality.

-Jeff

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads