• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

so what would you think if I started a jean company?

Draddy

Reaction score
so here's the thing.... I love jeans. My goal since college has been to start a jean company.

Recently, I've pretty much only worn nudie jeans. I love their fit and style. That is definitely the market i would be going for... the dry, don't wash, $200 market.

There are a few things about nudie I don't like, and there are many thing about APC, 5EP, and other similar brands that I don't like.

I guess what I would be going for is the styling of nudie, the fit of skull, and the quality of Dior.

and I'm curious as to what you would think of this? Everyone here would basically be my target market. I've been reading this forum for a long time, and thought I would register to ask this question... I already have many designs of very specifically what they will look like... I already have a source of suppliers, so now it's just finding the money and taking the plunge.

I'm curious what your opinion of this would be? Do you think the market is right for yet another company? Do you think you would buy another pair of jeans based upon the very vague description I listed above?

just thought I'd throw this out there.... trying to chase my dreams.

Thanks!
-Draddy

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you do the jeans, ill do the print screen t-shirts, and together we can take over the world!

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I'm planning on purchasing a pair of Ande Whalls for my next pair of jeans, one man job right? You're making big claims though to the quality and fit and such. Have you made them before? Designed your fits? From reading an Ande Whall thread either at here or SuFu someone linked me to, seems like a bit of work. If you have, I'm sure people would like to see pictures.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
What would you offer that no other denim company does?

Draddy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by West24
you do the jeans, ill do the print screen t-shirts, and together we can take over the world!
nothing goes better with jeans than graphic Ts
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Listi
Well I'm planning on purchasing a pair of Ande Whalls for my next pair of jeans, one man job right? You're making big claims though to the quality and fit and such. Have you made them before? Designed your fits? From reading an Ande Whall thread either at here or SuFu someone linked me to, seems like a bit of work. If you have, I'm sure people would like to see pictures.

Yeah, they are big aspirations, but I know I will be successful if I pursue it. I don't have any prototypes, but I have a friend in the jean manufacturing business who is willing to help.

I am a little concerned about posting my drawings this early, as production, if I decided to go forth, would probably be a couple of years away.

I'm curious as to how loyal you are to your brand? If you have $200, would you spend it on a lesser, or new brand if the fit and look is right? or will you always default to "your brand"?

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason

a vibrating ring in the croch area.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty new to jeans and clothing and such. Right now I'm in a phase where I want to try lots of random stuff, and not limit myself to one or two brands. I feel like this is the type of thing which could change after I've gained more experience in clothing myself haha but there will always be people out there who are just starting out and looking to try new brands I would imagine?

Draddy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
my design has nuances that I don't see in other jeans that I really llke, and I think the public would to. (similar to edwin and their strips on the top of pockets)

One of the things that I really don't like about APC and many other brands, including Andy Whalls, is the square blank back pockets. Now I know that is probably one of their biggest selling points, and that's why people buy them, but I'm going for the other side of the market (it reminds me to much of gap jeans)

Originally Posted by West24
a vibrating ring in the croch area.

hmm, this idea intrigues me.
tounge.gif

EDIT: I just looked through Ande Whalls site, and I'm very impressed. I would be going in a very similar direction, just with a different theme and look. http://andewhall.bigcartel.com/details-jeans

brohymn

Reaction score
Dior quality is sort of lackluster for the price; you should be aiming for the quality of Imperial imo.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Have you looked at Imperial?

Schnurretiger

Reaction score
I'd think heavy discounts for SF-members!

@Eason: although you are a stylish person, your new avatar is tasteless.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just don't understand how R&R can get away selling jeans for such high prices without the quality.

I suppose if you were to start a full-time operation selling denims, you need to re-think about who your target market will be instead of relying solely on SF members. While I certainly would like to see another one of our member run a very successful company, I suspect that too much emphasis on quality comes at a cost, a cost which translate to higher selling prices and might only attract the denim obssessed. As a business, I suspect worthless brands like "8 for all Alien Kind", "Expensive Tuesday" & "Jazz and Monarchy"** sell alot more than those Japanese repros.

**fictional names used to avoid litigation.

Silverback

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Schnurretiger
I'd think heavy discounts for SF-members!

@Eason: although you are a stylish person, your new avatar is tasteless.

I think the avatar is funny. I am not sure if it is even legal in Germany though.

Back on topic: I think that if you are going to start a jean company that you should take some business classes and join some business groups. I have heard that some of the bid distributors can be ruthless and maybe even unethical.

If you avoid them and work with people you trust I see no reason you could not work out a market.

More jeans = Better in my book!

Good luck!
smile.gif

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Schnurretiger
I'd think heavy discounts for SF-members! @Eason: although you are a stylish person, your new avatar is tasteless.
Oh come on, I know you're german, but I'm a jew and sometimes, sometimes, you have to make adolf hitler do the banana dance.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You'll need a writer/editor for ads, press releases, and so on. PM me about a retainer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads