• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So, what now? (Vol. II)

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Every now and then, I reach one of those forks in the bespoke road where I genuinely have no idea what to pursue next. I had hoped to commission a Norfolk jacket from Poole while in London next summer, but my travel plans have changed, and I won't be there long enough to finish a commission (even if I'm measured during one of their trips to the states).

So, folks whose knowledge far eclipses my own, what would you recommend I pursue next? I'd be grateful for specific fabric recommendations, too.

For those of you keeping score at home, here's what's currently in my collection. I've tried to indicate the fabrics, where I can remember.

Suits
Navy SB 3-piece peak lapel (H&S fabric, has a subtle herringbone weave)
Oxford gray SB 3-piece peak lapel (H&S Crispaire)
Navy DB 2-piece (H&S Snowy River)
Light gray DB 2-piece (VBC worsted and mohair)
Light blue w/ blue and white stripes 2-piece (mohair)
Light brown SB 2-piece (Harrison's Mersolair, linen)
POW with brown over check 2-piece (H&S Perennial Lite)
Navy with blue and white stripes DB 2-piece (VBC worsted)
Dark gray with blue stripe 2-piece (Charles Clayton)
Dark navy with gray stripe 2-piece (Loro Piana)

Jackets
Navy SB blazer (VBC)
Blue SB Donegal (H&S)
Brown SB tweed with orange windowpaine (Scabal, Harris Tweed)
Grey and white striped SB (H&S Eutopia)

Overcoat
Black/white herringbone (Minnis)

Of my suits, four are clearly summer. The rest are pretty versatile, although the DB in the Snowy River is a little hard to pull off in the heat of the summer. I don't have anything in flannel, and even in these subtropical climes, the winters can get a bit brisk.

I only have one odd jacket that's truly a summer jacket. Two of the others are tweed. The blazer is in one of those middle-of-the-road "4-season" fabrics.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Get a blue linen suit and wear the jacket as a summer blazer.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Get a blue linen suit and wear the jacket as a summer blazer.
Wow. This is almost word-for-word what you recommended before, except last time you counseled I get one in brown/tan. So I did.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
Wow. This is almost word-for-word what you recommended before, except last time you counseled I get one in brown/tan. So I did.

Cream linen suit. Have the jacket detailed so it can be worn on its own.

I think you could do with some earthier toned stuff given what you have in blues and grays, particularly since you live in the subtropics.

- B

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Cream linen suit. Have the jacket detailed so it can be worn on its own.

I've thought about a cream linen suit, and even perused some fabrics last time Chan was in town. But they all had too much of a yellow cast, which tends to make me look sickly.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I've thought about a cream linen suit, and even perused some fabrics last time Chan was in town. But they all had too much of a yellow cast, which tends to make me look sickly.

Do they have the Hardy book?

I understand your reservation, but don't discount the counterbalance from shirt and tie, particularly with a solid suiting.

- B

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I used to scoff at the blue linen suit but now I don't know how I would live without it.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do they have the Hardy book?

I think they did. I know they had at least one other linen book in addition to the Mersolair.

Originally Posted by Manton
I used to scoff at the blue linen suit but now I don't know how I would live without it.

What shade?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Mine is like gunmetal. Noticeably lighter than navy, with a greyish, slatey cast.

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw a guy in a navy linen suit last week and it looked really nice, totally changed my mind.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I think they did. I know they had at least one other linen book in addition to the Mersolair.
I have a cream Hardy Irish 12oz linen jacket that has a gray cast compared to 14oz Hardy Irish linen in a suit that, indeed, is more yellow. Basically, there are a variety of creams and not all are warm in tone. Particularly since you wear hats, I really think that a cream suit would work for you where you live. Navy is also good, especially with a bit of sheen or brightness. It's just that you are already deep in blues. But, OTOH, it's impossible to have too much navy. - B

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clearly, you could use a second overcoat. I imagine a DB one could be your style. Something in camel or brown would be a good complement to the B&W/grey

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Clearly, you could use a second overcoat. I imagine a DB one could be your style. Something in camel or brown would be a good complement to the B&W/grey

In Galveston?

- B

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In Galveston?
If he has one, that means he has use for one. Therefore, he has use for two.
teacha.gif

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
If he has one, that means he has use for one. Therefore, he has use for two.
teacha.gif

laugh.gif
I can't argue with that.

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads