• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So What Kind of Alden Boots Did I Buy?

BCD

Reaction score
So I just won these Alden cap toe boots on Ebay:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=170317210133 It is apparent from the manner in which these were listed and the responses to the questions, that the seller really doesn't know much about Alden cordovan boots.

Based on the interior markings (7H/6 044 4060M) it suggests these are a model number 4060, which I understand to be the model number for the run of the mill cap toe boots in No. 8 cordovan shown here: http://www.theshoemart.com/cgi-bin/c...Cordovan&type=
However, despite the poor photos, the seller was quite clear that the boots were chocolate brown in color.

The boots are also marked as being a "special riding boot made exclusively for Eduard Meier, Munich," which is very high-end shoe store. I also came across this very similar pair of boots: http://www.brownsfashion.com/product...lden/93851.htm, which is also clearly advertised as brown. Finally, I found an old discussion re. Alden Cigar Shell on AAAC, where someone claimed to have Alden cap toe boots in Cigar and posted this pic: http://i14.tinypic.com/2j0egdv.jpg

So did I just score a great deal on some sweet cap toe boots in Cigar Shell or just an average deal on a darker run of No. 8? Thanks.

rick

Reaction score
depending what cond i think you did great

BCD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
That's alot of money for used boots with no picture of the sole.

While no shots of the bottoms of the soles, profile shots suggest the boots - sole included - are in very good shape. Also, still able to read the inscription on the sole re. the "special order" status, so I know they're not completely worn to the bone.

I definitely have overpaid if they are wornout cap toes in No. 8. However, based on everything I've seen (including the seller's PM that these are definitely chocolate brown in color), there's a really strong chance these are cigar shell cordovan. If that's the case - even if the soles are worn, this was a great deal.

My real question is whether you guys think these are cigar or No. 8. I've read many posts and seen many boots and shoes marketed in cigar shell, but almost none are cap toes that look like these. The model number is also throwing me off. Figured the many shell gurus on this forum would be able to give me some insight. Thanks.

BCD

Reaction score
With all the Alden shell gurus on this forum, I can't believe that no one can help me identify these boots. Help a brotha' out, why don't you. Thanks.

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BCD
With all the Alden shell gurus on this forum, I can't believe that no one can help me identify these boots. Help a brotha' out, why don't you. Thanks.

You do not need to be an Alden shell guru to judge color, just need to have good pictures.

Let us know what color they are when they show up on your doorstep.

BCD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by greekgeek
You do not need to be an Alden shell guru to judge color, just need to have good pictures.

Let us know what color they are when they show up on your doorstep.

Gee, thanks. I had not thought of that. Glad to see the Senior Members lending a hand to the Newbies.

unagiluva

Reaction score
When he says "The bottom says....." I believe he is referring to the insole. Alden makes shoes specifically for certain shops and include this writing on the bottom of the inside of the shoe. All of my Aldens (that being 2 pairs) only say Alden and "Genuine Horween Cordovan Leather" or something to that effect.

Those look #8 to me. Cigar is much lighter in tone, and #8 can definitely get "chocolate brown-eque" with age. Almost certainly Cordovan based on the retail quoted & folding of the toe box.

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Neither your boots or the ones on that Brown's site look like cigar to me. Both seem like #8.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
they are either black or #8. $270 is on the high side for a well-used shell boot, on the other hand they seem a bit rare, you assess your own value for rarity.

BCD

Reaction score
Ok guys,

The boots arrived today. I don't own any No. 8 shell and that which I've seen in stores has always had a strong burgundy color in it. These definitely look dark brown and are certainly not Cigar. Am I correct that No. 8 can come in this color / shade as well or is this some other type of shell?

Here are some photos of the boots next to my Alden Chukkas with Commando Sole in Cigar: http://www.flickr.com/photos/34517965@N08/?saved=1 Outer soles are in excellent shape and bottoms are stamped "Special Riding Boot Made Exclusively for Eduard Meier, Munich." Similar notation is made on the heel of the insole.

Really, really like the dark brown color and they are amazingly comfortable. The speed lace hooks are a nice touch too. Overall, I'm very pleased with the purchase and am glad I took the gamble by purchasing even with the poor photos and descriptions in the Ebay ad.

Thanks for the responses,
BCD

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've owned a pair of these. They're #8, which the 4060 model number corresponds to. The black shell version's model number is 4065.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads