1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

So what happened to the SF tie?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by imageWIS, Apr 15, 2005.

1. Matt

Matt Senior member

well it took five pages, but this thread is now starting to sound exactly like the previous thread on this topic

2. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Senior member

The cost of the tie should be such that:

1) The esteemed tie designer recoups all of his production costs, and
    2) he makes a reasonable profit, which compensates him for the time spent designing the tie, talking with the mills and factories, and arranging for the shipments of the final product to SF members
    3) and there is some additional money left over which can be donated to keep the Forum running.

How could anyone think that is unreasonable?

3. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Chuck has offered to sell the ties at cost. (we) will show our appreciation by indeed purchasing a tie.
    I had to save the best for last as what you have been totally consistent at is ignoring the dollars involved. Just how in hell are we showing appreciation to a tiemaker for his efforts by purchasing a tie from him at his cost?
    By, oh, I don't know? Covering his costs? Jon.

4. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

I'm curious, where does one get this jacquard weaving software? Is it available to the public, or does it cost twenty grand and is bundled with a workstation? Does your selected mill/weaver provide it to you?

Does everyone in the modern tie business work from the same software?

5. discostu004

discostu004 Senior member Affiliate Vendor

good grief, what the hell has happened. someone offered his:
    expertise
    front money
    time

and people bitch about it? i didn't realize women infiltrated this board.

6. Alexander Kabbaz

Alexander Kabbaz Senior member

Thank you, Lance. Well said.

7. Alexander Kabbaz

Address, Please? [​IMG]

8. Carlo

Carlo Senior member

Several things...

1. How in the hell can you guys do 4 pages in the time it takes me to take the girls out for Sushi?
    2. Design-wise: There are some things we can do and some things we can't do. Before we get too far down that path I'd offer this suggestion: Let Jill and I toy with a few things FIRST, post them and then take some suggestions. There are some designs we have that are not in our collection at present but where we have already paid for the setup that might work with color modification. If we go with something entirely new it is fine - but adds to the costs. So.. let us take a first pass, poll on it and see how close we are to a consensus. Obviously we will not please everyone completely but hopefully we will piss off as few people as possible (why I was leery in the first place). Suggestions at that point are fine but as Alex pointed out while anything is possible, not everything is practical.
    3. We won't do it in 17 widths. We'll go standard width of between 3.5 and 3.75. We don't do streetwear, we will make sure you are not embarassed to wear it. We can't make 20 different ones here and I hope everyone understands that. FWIW it will not be exactly the way I'd do it for myself.
    4. We'll go with a medium finish - not crusty dry, not the slick gum finish with the most lustre. Objective - go with something that is acceptable to as many people as possible.

Other items in no particular order:

A. No fighting, bitching, moaning or arguing allowed. Anyone caught not having fun with this and enjoying it will be severely beaten. C'mon guys - we can all make this fun or we can kill a good idea. Deal?

B. Design software we use is proprietary

C. I am not looking for credit or thanks - simply hoping not to get shat upon for doing this. When the original idea came up we got slammed in absentia. Let's not do that, OK?

9. Carlo

Carlo Senior member

Jill and I spent a little time on this last night and will post some initial 'ideas' tonight or tomorrow. We just finished a promo and are up to our ears in shipping tonight.

The arguing was good in a sense - it illustrates a few basic problems in tiemaking. Namely, some like X, Some like Y.

We'll go for a very elegant middle of the road tie that might not be anyone's idea of the perfect tie but one that 90% of people would find to be a nice, elegant and classic choice.

Funny thing - the other day we had 6 people say that they loved our ties BUT 3 said we were too conservative, the other 3 thought we were too fashion forward. In the June Collection we'll be doing our mainline stuff that is 'US' but will also do several more traditional and several more 'festive' patterns. You can't please everyone with 1 tie, hopefully we can please everyone with 150.

Normally when we do a pattern the goal is to make sure we can find 64 people who love it. On this one the goal is to make sure that as few a number as possible would say "I'd love to buy one and support the forum but I wouldn't hang myself with that dog leash". We won't embarass you or ourselves, we want it to be a tie you'd be proud of.

For the pugnacious among us, there be a good fight a'brewin on the 'tailoring adventure' thread

10. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Whoah. Shows how out of touch I am with those darn kids today ...

11. Alexander Kabbaz

Hey, listen, young fella ..........

12. Alexander Kabbaz

Well, at least it will be in keeping with the rest of the Carlo Franco line. [​IMG]

13. Carlo

Carlo Senior member

I'm writing a poem about Alex, Can anyone think of something that rhymes with "Glass Bowl"?????

14. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

Ummmm, Crass Troll???

Actually SF has several contenders for that title, and Alex is certainly NOT one of them.