• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So what happened to the SF tie?

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Double 4 fold is usually referred to as a seven fold. We make the distinction because we do the lined double 4 and the unlined 7. Look HERE for an example.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd be in as well so long as we can keep the costs under $100 or so.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If Chuck is going to donate his time and effort, then he should be the one - the only one - to offer the pattern alternatives. There aren't many of us who don't have a copy of Photoshop and can spend our spare time playing with tie designs - but IMHO I would prefer to see the suggestions of the professional who is doing the work. IMHO, what made the tie not happen last time was the profusion of designs and thus the inability to select. So how about it Chuck? Can you come up with something nicer than those boring Carlo Franco rags? Something of SF caliber? Oh - and much as I hate ties which, by nature, cover the centers of my shirts (for me, the ideal tie width is 1/16") I suppose I'll have to take one of the damn things.
I'll submit ideas anyways...for how can one be a professional if he at one time was not an amateur? Jon.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll submit ideas anyways...for how can one be a professional if he at one time was not an amateur?
Price seems to be a consideration for many members. My reasoning for only designs from the maker also takes into account that only he knows what can be woven at an appropriate cost.

Other designs may be attractive - as are many of the shirt fabrics I design which the mills laugh at me for when they do their cost analysis.

Therefore, raised hopes are dashed. I would opine that, if you want to submit designs, you should include your offer to make the ties.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What am I going to wear?
huh.gif

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ya know, fellas, I tend to get upset when thongs are the subject of abuse and disdain. Next time you think of something less than complimentary to write about thong panties, ...........think of this:
ZL260_Studio040_Crop.jpg
............and this:
ZL700_KKL02.jpg
Turn the page Chuck. Jill's right behind you .... and she knows you're not shopping for Zimmerli for her.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll submit ideas anyways...for how can one be a professional if he at one time was not an amateur?
Price seems to be a consideration for many members. My reasoning for only designs from the maker also takes into account that only he knows what can be woven at an appropriate cost. Other designs may be attractive - as are many of the shirt fabrics I design which the mills laugh at me for when they do their cost analysis. Therefore, raised hopes are dashed. I would opine that, if you want to submit designs, you should include your offer to make the ties.
I can understand that, but suggestions can be made nonetheless. I don't care about dashed hopes on my part regarding a tie design. Jon.

Duveen

Reaction score
Can I humbly suggest that we think about a matte-finish tie rather than a more lustrous one? Or at least have a more matte example as an option for the 'vote between Chuck's designs' that is being suggested? I'd love to be able to wear the SF tie regularly as well as on special 'meet the crew' occasions (although, to be honest, the idea of sitting in a bar with a bunch of SFers, all of whom are wearing the same tie seems kind of silly when I think of it - one thing's for sure, we're bound to get questions...).

The cool thing would be (and I think that this was mentioned in the last thread as well) to have one every year or so. Again, if they were all wearable, that would give people a bit more flexibility over time in showing their SF colors.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can I humbly suggest that we think about a matte-finish tie rather than a more lustrous one? Or at least have a more matte example as an option for the 'vote between Chuck's designs' that is being suggested? I'd love to be able to wear the SF tie regularly as well as on special 'meet the crew' occasions (although, to be honest, the idea of sitting in a bar with a bunch of SFers, all of whom are wearing the same tie seems kind of silly when I think of it - one thing's for sure, we're bound to get questions...).

The cool thing would be (and I think that this was mentioned in the last thread as well) to have one every year or so. Again, if they were all wearable, that would give people a bit more flexibility over time in showing their SF colors.
Wait till we get to the green SF tie...

Sacre bleu.

Jon.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with Duveen. This shouldn't be a traditional "club tie" -- I'm not big into the regimental stripe idea. We aren't a club; we're a forum.

Having purchased Chuck's red paisley, I think that Chuck/Jill really have an eye for nice deep, dark reds. So, I'd vote for a base color in that deep color. I think some sort of understated neat pattern -- deep burgundy, with lighter red & white squares or something like.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At the very least, just submit your pictoral suggestions via e-mail to Chuck and let him decide whether they can be produced.

Duveen

Reaction score
I like the idea of a 'neat', a nice macclesfield, perhaps?

I'd also be fine with a regimental style if that's what folks want, but if we do stripes, I'd (again, humbly) ask that we stay away from a satin-stripe, high-gloss look.

The beauty of club ties lies in having an excuse to wear them almost constantly, so if we do go for the look, we ought to make sure that one could do that without too much difficulty...

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't care about dashed hopes on my part regarding a tie design.
It was not your raised hopes to which I was referring or about which I cared. It was the raised hopes of those who might like an unaffordable design which you created. Again, either offer to make the ties at an affordable price or IMHO leave the pictoral design suggestions to one who has made such an offer. Alternatively, at the very least, just submit your pictoral suggestions via e-mail to Chuck and let him decide whether they can be produced. Or, again, offer to cover the inherent costs as he has.
Dude chillax... I'm the one that brought the tie idea back...no reason to get all stressed. Jon.

SmartDresser

Reaction score
Take one, sure.
I serve dozens of tourists a day this time of year and that tie would be an ice breaker. Anything that helps, I'm for it.
I can see it now, customer couple walking in my direction with KANSAS JAWHAWK sweatshirts, asking me where I got the tie. Could be fun stuff.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads