• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So, please give me your input into this sock/shoe abomination......

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, I have a co-worker who is fond of wearing white dress socks. These are not athletic socks, but old man style white dress socks.

He wears them with white pants, or light colored tan/white seersucker pants and summer shoes, either brown and white spectators or cream colored canvas shoes.

He has been told by just about every woman in the firm that it is hideous. I told him to burn the socks and invest in some contrasting socks.

This has done nothing but steel his resolve. He now wears them as a badge of poorly color coordinated honor. He insists they are "correct," and he will continue to wear them with pride, and to piss me off.
biggrin.gif

Now, I am curious enough about this to post this question up, in poll form naturally.
lol8[1].gif

So, what is your take on this abomination?

Edited for a pic, which he proudly posed for.
Shoe.jpg

Mike

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
abomination

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stone him! Lev 52:3-7 Other abominations and insults to our Lord: leather snowmobile suits, dill pickle flavored pork-rinds, mixing milk and RC Cola, white dress socks, YouTube videos showing hamsters doing it, Justin Beiber, Bud Light Lime....

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whoever voted appropriate, you must explain yourself.

Mike

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I wear off white socks.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I own and wear them when they are what's needed.

D Yizz

Reaction score
Wow, this is an image I thought I had erased from my mind more than 20 years ago, about the same time I was wearing white tennis shoes socks with my penny loafers to high school and the old men with white dress socks and cardinal red nylon pants with guayaberas roamed through my town......
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

BBC

Reaction score
I said the epitome of high style. The man knows what he likes + it's different but he sticks with it + and he wears them with aplomb = high style. If someone told me that wearing a fake flower made of felt in your lapel buttonhole was the epitome of high style I'd have through they were a bit cracked, but I see plenty doing it on SF.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BBC
I said the epitome of high style. The man knows what he likes + it's different but he sticks with it + and he wears them with aplomb = high style. If someone told me that wearing a fake flower made of felt in your lapel buttonhole was the epitome of high style I'd have through they were a bit cracked, but I see plenty doing it on SF.

Valid point, indeed. He does have his own style.

Mike

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads