• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

so my sister got mugged in ghana

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There was no violence and she's fine. Apparently, muggers are very anxious and scared of getting caught there because THEY CAN BE BURNED ALIVE.

We're whining about waterboarding terrorists.
lol8[1].gif

edit: I just bought a money belt for my own trip to a 3rd world country. Of course, I'll still cry if my luggage gets jacked.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
There was no violence and she's fine. Apparently, muggers are very anxious and scared of getting caught there because THEY CAN BE BURNED ALIVE.

We're whining about waterboarding terrorists.
lol8[1].gif

edit: I just bought a money belt for my own trip to a 3rd world country. Of course, I'll still cry if my luggage gets jacked.

Is that true.

In Ghana they are subject to being burned alive if they are caught mugging?

That makes Saudi Arabia seem like a liberal bastion.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
Is that true.

That's what the hotel manager that chased off the thief told her. I'm not sure if they do it in every case, but it does happen.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to Amnesty Int'l, there have been no executions in Ghana in recent years. Apparently, there have been talks of abolition of death penalty altogether for quite some time

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
According to Amnesty Int'l, there have been no executions in Ghana in recent years. Apparently, there have been talks of abolition of death penalty altogether for quite some time

I didn't actually check. I'm just going off of what I was told by my sister and she's just relaying what the manager told her.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
I'm glad she's ok.

Just noticed your new sig.
crackup[1].gif

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think getting burned alive is much worse than getting your hands chopped off which is what happens in Saudi. They behead you if you kill someone.

However there is not much theft in Saudi or the thieves are very good at what they do.

riveroaks

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
Is that true.

It is true in Liberia, where vigilante justice (by children soldiers) rules

riveroaks

Reaction score
Glad she was all right and wasn't otherwise disrespected.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203

Originally Posted by riveroaks
It is true in Liberia, where vigilante justice (by children soldiers) rules

I did a quick google and this might be part of it. I don't really have much time to spend checking this stuff out though. I'm packing for my vacation now so that I can get back to studying for my last 2 finals and be ready to take off tuesday night.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I get mugged, I'd want the f*ckers burned alive, serve them right.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah muggers ought to be burned with those flaming tires around their necks.

Sorry to hear that GQGeek.

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I lived in West Africa for 3 years, traveled to Ghana for vacation several times. They don't burn thieves alive, but often, when people catch them, a mob will beat 'em up before the cops can get to them. Ghana is a fantastic country with some of the nicest people anywhere in the world. However, in West Africa, there's also a tendency for people to go extra hard after anyone who mugs 'guests.' There's a sense of shame when it happens to visitors and tourists. One of my fellow Peace Corps volunteers had a boy sneak into her house one night and steal some money and a few other random things. They ended up chasing the guy into a tree, then poking him with some crudely-made swords. By the time they got him to the local magistrate, they paraded him in front of my friend, who saw that he was about 13 and had had the **** beat out of him--swollen head, wounds, etc. Turns out he had stolen all of 7 bucks, but no one knew the worth of that. In most 3rd world countries, people really hate thieves. Oh, and BTW, I have a couple of good friends who live in Liberia. The information posted above is outdated and unnecessarily alarmist. Though things were difficult there for the past decade, in the past couple of years, since Ellen Sirleaf Johnson was elected president, the security situation is much improved. It's no longer nearly the lawless place it once was. In fact, my summer supervisor at my legal job is returning there (her family is Liberian) to help reform existing and institute new laws for corruption under the government. It is, however, somewhat akin to Nigeria in that it is generally less secure than many other West African countries, which are by and large very safe and hospitable places; certainly more than many big American cities. GQ, money belts are too unwieldy; best advice I ever got for traveling with money, esp. in the developing world, came from my Sikh friend's dad, who himself lived all over the world: when you arrive to the big town where you're going, head to a tailor, have him sew some cotton fabric into a hidden pocket that hangs off the inside of the waist of your pants, behind the belt area. I did this with several pairs of pants and it cost me about 10 bucks total. When walking around, carry a small amount of local currency, and keep the rest hidden in that pocket. Make it big enough for your passport and you have very little to worry about. It's also far easier to access and much cleaner than any money belt. Have a great trip; travel in the developing world is challenging and hard, but it can also be far more interesting, entertaining and fun than it is in developed countries: I'm envious. I highly encourage you to travel to smaller towns and villages, wherever you go. They're usually nicer than the big cities. Oh, and you may know this, but make several photo copies of your main passport pages. Leave one at home, take a couple with you, keeping them in separate places. It's a lot easier to replace a lost or stolen passport at a US embassy if you have this. Any specific questions, feel free to PM me.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Have you been to Libya?

I would like to go to Libya. Also, I've heard that Ethiopia is interesting. During the brief Italian occupation, there are various elements of Italy there--architecture, restaurants, etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads