• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So...my cutting board died

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I found out today that my nice bamboo cutting board took a run through the dishwasher. The "wood" looked pretty much dried out and felt rough.

Is there anything I should do? It's a small bamboo board that I use mainly for cutting limes for drinks...so its not a huge loss but it had quickly become one of my favorite kitchen items.

Currently I have it sitting in a pool of mineral oil, hoping I can soak some moisture back into it. Maybe I will have to sand it smooth again afterwards (the 2 edges where the bamboo fibers come to an end got especially rough feeling).

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sand it- probably best had you done so before oiling.... and I probably would have used a food-grade oil... but I'm not sure bamboo reacts well to oiling anyway.

J Simulcik

Reaction score
Mineral oil: As long as it's a food-grade mineral oil, you're good. Mineral oil is actually preferable to vegetable oil for those chefs still using wooden boards because a board so treated will not pick up aromas as easily.

Dishwasher: I've washed bamboo boards in the dishwasher before with no soap and they turn out fine. I only worry that with the heat of the dishwasher, the fibers will have expanded and trapped soap particles once they compressed again. Cutting on such a board would introduce soap into your food, something you probably don't want.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yeah, it is food grade mineral oil that I use on all of my wood kitchen products.

This would have been a standard soap run of the dishwasher, possibly with heated dry turned on (I was not the one to run or load it). It probably should have been sanded before oil but I didnt realize just how rough it was until feeling it slathered in oil. Hopefully soaking it in oil won't cause a sudden influx of moisture and cause it to warp/split.

I have quite enjoyed my bamboo items, I'm glad to see it becoming more prevalent--if I was ever in the position to choose a flooring material, I think it would be high on my list.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
if I was ever in the position to choose a flooring material, I think it would be high on my list.
Bamboo flooring is beautiful!
inlove.gif

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
Bamboo flooring is beautiful!
inlove.gif

Installing it in the house at the moment. Well, not RIGHT NOW, but when I get home. It's very nice.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Installing it in the house at the moment. Well, not RIGHT NOW, but when I get home. It's very nice.
Very cool! I'd love to see pictures when your project is complete...
smile.gif

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
Very cool! I'd love to see pictures when your project is complete...
smile.gif

Will happen once power returns and I can rip the last row of boards to width. Should be done this weekend.

However, it is manufactured and pre-finished. I did a maple floor with raw tongue-and-groove utility-grade wood, and it was a bear to do up right. I resented wood for a long time afterwards, between the patching and the sanding and the multiple layers of varnish.

Just don't want you gents to think I'm out on the back patio splitting bamboo reeds and tying them together into a floor.

esquire.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by J Simulcik
Mineral oil: As long as it's a food-grade mineral oil, you're good. Mineral oil is actually preferable to vegetable oil for those chefs still using wooden boards because a board so treated will not pick up aromas as easily.

If we're talking about bamboo cutting board, is there a difference between using mineral oil or bamboo oil?

I have quite enjoyed my bamboo items, I'm glad to see it becoming more prevalent--if I was ever in the position to choose a flooring material, I think it would be high on my list.
I'm not a fan of bamboo floors- they scratch rather easily and once scratched, you really can't sand them down like other wood floors.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bamboo is a bad material for cutting boards. There is too much drag, and it dulls blades quickly.

Infrasonic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Working Stiff
What is a good material for cutting boards? I need a new one.

Virgins thighs...quite pricey though.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I have never had a real big-timer cutting board, but I have come to the conclusion that all wooden cutting boards are a massive PITA and a good old, nice, big plastic one from Sam's Club is the way to go. Easy to clean, plenty of working space, not a pain to lug around to the sink, low maintenance, impervious to nasties. I keep a nice looking one on the countertop for effect, but actually try to do most chopping on plastic these days.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Epicurean; go one size bigger than the size you think you want because cramped workspaces suck.

Also, why did my thread get revived? While the mineral oil soak did revive the original bamboo board...I have stopped using bamboo as a serious cutting surface due to the dulling issue.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maple is the golden standard. Walnut, cherry, mahagony and some other hard woods are also good. End grain construction is superior to edge grain. Big timers should look here: The Boardsmith . Small timers and average timers should check out some butcher block makers on Ebay. I like wood for veggies and other ready-to-eat stuff. For raw meats I prefer a synthetic white poly board which is easy to sanitize. The commercial Sani-tuff yellow rubber boards are durable and easy to clean but rather ugly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads