• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

so many nice shoes, so little money - Help

mikeynyc

Reaction score
I've been lurking the forum for a few weeks now and really enjoy reading the posts.

I've always loved the high end quality items but stayed away cause my wallet doesn't really allow for it but with all the talk about sales, it seems certain desires may be with in reach...

Specifically shoes.
As it stands right now, my best pair is a pair of dark brown johnston&murphy cap toe deer skin brogues.

I'm looking for a new pair of shoes and love the Mackays. Does anyone have any suggestions or alternatives to offer?

any advice is appreciated. thanks!

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You do know that you can get the Mackays today for $433.50, right (15% off of 40% of the regular price of $850)? RL stores and polo.com are having a sale!

mikeynyc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
You do know that you can get the Mackays today for $433.50, right (15% off of 40% of the regular price of $850)? RL stores and polo.com are having a sale!

yes, i saw a small thread about that. just kidding. How does one go about getting the code for the additional 15%? If I begged would it help?

also they only have a size 9 in the dark brown online and I would be able to get to the store at all.
How is the sizing relative to other shoes?

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mikeynyc
yes, i saw a small thread about that. just kidding. How does one go about getting the code for the additional 15%? If I begged would it help?

also they only have a size 9 in the dark brown online and I would be able to get to the store at all.
How is the sizing relative to other shoes?

it's MAY18 and good for today only
(that was the first post on the thread)

mikeynyc

Reaction score
Oh yeah.
missed that. Thanks!
Ok, last question on the topic:

In your experience, if I get the 9 online and it doesn't fit, would I be able to exchange it at the store?

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah.
missed that. Thanks!

In your experience, if I get the 9 online and it doesn't fit, would I be able to exchange it at the store?

Yes. At worst, you could return for a full refund, minus shipping charges.

If live near a RL store, you could also call, ask if they have a pair in your size, and if not, task the salesperson with finding one at a different store. They're usually happy to help if it means a sale. They might even agree to have it shipped to their store for you to pick up, meaning you would escape shipping charges (I've never tried this last bit).

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah.
missed that. Thanks!

Yes

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They might even agree to have it shipped to their store for you to pick up, meaning you would escape shipping charges (I've never tried this last bit).

I tried this yesterday. Didn't work. If you have it shipped to your local store, you pay sales taxes. If you have it shipped to you directly, you don't pay the sales taxes, but you pay shipping.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just visited polo.com and the Mackay is only 30% off, so $595 (minus the additional 15%).

mikeynyc

Reaction score
I just visited polo.com and the Mackay is only 30% off, so $595 (minus the additional 15%).

so that puts it right at $500 or so.
It was easier for me mentally to justify 435.

quick, someone tell me that they're worth it and I'll never see such a mark down on them again.

to the point of having the sales person at the store search them out, seeing that I cannot make it to the NYC store today, will they accept a phone order and still honor the sale price?

SSur

Reaction score
Call the major stores, not the outlets, and simply request both the 40 and the 15% discounts. I am working with a gentleman in the Chicago store and he volunteered the discounts without my having asked for them.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wait a minute, they're running a special right now with no shipping for purchases over $175. When I tried putting the Mackays in my shopping bag and then checking out it wasn't charging me shipping (I didn't buy them though because they are too narrow for me), so you shouldn't be getting charged shipping.

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another thought on the idea of the size exchange:

They have carried that same shoe for some time. It does sometimes seem to be in short supply - meaning that it is a good seller. They are then unlikely to drop it from the line. If it is not in stock NOW in your size, it should be in a few weeks. Exchange then. Or, return for the refund less the slight shipping charge.

Assuming that you believe that the shoes are worth the discounted price. If money is a bit tight and you need several pairs of dress shoes, look at the Allen Edmonds from the factory stores. New, but seconds, are regularly available at less than $175 in discontinued styles. Many times that is because they have just changed the last and renamed the model. Still a punched cap brogue. Three pairs vs. one. Will wear as long or longer. Just not quite as shapely or refined as the EG shoes.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Charley
Another thought on the idea of the size exchange:

They have carried that same shoe for some time. It does sometimes seem to be in short supply - meaning that it is a good seller. They are then unlikely to drop it from the line. If it is not in stock NOW in your size, it should be in a few weeks. Exchange then. Or, return for the refund less the slight shipping charge.

A heads-up on the Mackay: A manager at the Polo Mansion told me that the reason the shoes are so hard to find is that Polo didn't order a shipment in the fall. He thought the next time they might get more would be August. (Of course, someone at the mansion also told me they were out of 9.5s, which it turns out they weren't.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads