• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So... Jeans And The Trad?

RussellStreet

Reaction score
Please bear with me...
Here is a discussion of the Trad Jean:

http://www.longsufferingtrad.com/?p=105

Check the comments section and the discussion moves on to fabrics and cut.
Now I'm not suggesting that this is earth shattering stuff, but I do see a gap in the perception of Jeans depending on their fabric.
Denim Jeans are probably not for our AAAT brothers, but when the same cut of trousers is offered in Corduroy, Moleskin or Twill I wonder if they could be seen as a good companion to those other Tradly wardrobe staples.

For me Jeans mean Denim. But when I wear the same style of Jeans cut in another fabric I regard them as something else. A kind of interim step between casual & smart casual.

Any thoughts? How do you view non-Denim Jeans?

Best -

J.

Goblin

Reaction score
EDIT: Does anyone have the link to the insane anti-jeans rant from, I think, AAAC?

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my image of trad doesn't involve jeans...oddly enough i think places like styleforum and AAAC are having an effect on major fashion publications. Local HK Trend magazine East Touch ran a whole feature on Trad as their main story in this week's issue, saying how Americana is the next big wave to hit fashion. they posted a bunch of pics of people wearing what i'd call more 'American workwear' than trad, also some preppy stuff...Tim Hamilton shirt that looks exactly like the uniqlo version costs like $600, crazy.

morse9443

Reaction score
I still can't understand wtf trad is? But start by not wearing boxers. Boxer-briefs all the way for no ride-up!

RussellStreet

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Goblin
sage

Fantastic Americana Blog! I feel inclined to pimp it round the Net in fact. Good work, Sir.

What is Trad? Well it's a subset of Americana, that much we know. Lot's of American things aren't Trad & trying to work out why can be an interesting game.

... Or simply yet another way of putting off work...

Best -

morse9443

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RussellStreet
Fantastic Americana Blog! I feel inclined to pimp it round the Net in fact. Good work, Sir.

What is Trad? Well it's a subset of Americana, that much we know. Lot's of American things aren't Trad & trying to work out why can be an interesting game.

... Or simply yet another way of putting off work...

Best -

Wow. You've just made me 5X more confused one wtf "trad" is. Thanks.

RussellStreet

Reaction score
Originally Posted by morse9443
Wow. You've just made me 5X more confused one wtf "trad" is. Thanks.

LOL!

I think Trad is meant to be Traditional American and it sort of is, but at a few removes. Classic American tailoring was once known as Ivy League style way back when (mainly 50's/60's). The style boomed and went bust. Preppy style revived an aspect of it in the 80's and again that style boomed and went bust. Trad today on the internet revives Preppy style with elements of the earlier Ivy League style mixed in. It's a new take on a couple of previous styles in other words.

... And now you are 10X more confused!
smile.gif

Best -

Goblin

Reaction score
I'm blogging again soon, and I'd like to work in clothing-related posts occasionally, but because my interests tend towards marginalia (e.g., "liberty cuffs"), I can't see my posts being of interest to most style buffs.
frown.gif

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Goblin i'd be interested in reading you write a blog about clothing.

RussellStreet

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Goblin
I'm blogging again soon, and I'd like to work in clothing-related posts occasionally, but because my interests tend towards marginalia (e.g., "liberty cuffs"), I can't see my posts being of interest to most style buffs.
frown.gif

Which highlights the chasm (sp?) between the Blogs & the Forums...

I liked the Liberty Cuffs item best (so far). The Blogs highlight individual visions of style and to my mind that's what real style is. The forums (fora!) are for a "community" take on any given style. They present a rather corporate view of most things.... Too much agreement on what the "best" shoe is, etc.

... As if there is one golden shoe out there somewhere!
smile.gif

I dunno. I think the forum thing is getting to be kinda over...

IMO.

morse9443

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RussellStreet
LOL!

I think Trad is meant to be Traditional American and it sort of is, but at a few removes. Classic American tailoring was once known as Ivy League style way back when (mainly 50's/60's). The style boomed and went bust. Preppy style revived an aspect of it in the 80's and again that style boomed and went bust. Trad today on the internet revives Preppy style with elements of the earlier Ivy League style mixed in. It's a new take on a couple of previous styles in other words.

... And now you are 10X more confused!
smile.gif

Best -

Thanks for the clarification, I think I actually understand now. I'm a little slow on some of the new school abbreviations.
eh.gif
I feel like this is a variation on our discussion of "Steampunk" from the other day. I'm bringing it back to "Trad steampunk".
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Goblin

Reaction score
I just updated the blog for the first time in about two months. Not to hijack the thread, but I'm kicking around the idea of having short interviews with folks who know more than I do about various classic American style traditions and subcultures, so maybe I will have more "style" content in the near future.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads