• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So, I'm trying to decide between two bicycles...

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was recently given some money to buy myself and my fiance a couple bicycles. She seems to really want a cruiser, but I can't decide between a simple cruiser or a really basic mountain bike.

I don't really intend on doing much more than occasional biking around town, but I would like the ability to take it off-road if necessary. Both bikes are around the same pricepoint, but both have advantages/disadvantages.

Cruiser:
Pros- Looks awesome and would be a comfortable ride. Good to take into town for errands.

Cons- Tough on hills (I live in a hilly area.), not able to take on trails, and it would be difficult to store.

Mountain Bike:
Pros- I could take it on trails, it would be better on the hills around the house, and is probably better for exercise.

Cons- Not nearly as comfortable and harder to use for errands.

Any thoughts?

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You want a cross bike, something that can be used around the city on a regular basis and also can be taken on light trails. It might be a bit more expensive than a basic mountain bike. Something like this would serve you well: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/..._cross_cx2.htm
fantomcx_gray_600.jpg

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's a really nice bike, but I was hoping for something in the $250-$350 range. I know that really limits my options.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AntiHero84
Yeah, that's a really nice bike, but I was hoping for something in the $250-$350 range. I know that really limits my options.

Then go for the cruiser. That mtb is a pile of crap on wheels, and you'll hate riding it around the city.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really? It got good reviews.

I mean, technically I'm not in the city. Not at all actually. Just a suburban town with a couple blocks of downtown.

Oh well, I guess I'll take a trip out to the bike shop this weekend and test out the Schwinn. Maybe it won't be that bad.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not jiving the tube angles on that mtb. Not liking the cruiser idea. The bikes are polar opposites.

I'd say cyclocross. Gives the upright feel of a roadie with the weight and strength of a mtn bike. Can be used easily in both situations. Price will be tough to find though. I'd say craigslist.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DNW
You want a cross bike, something that can be used around the city on a regular basis and also can be taken on light trails. It might be a bit more expensive than a basic mountain bike.
Originally Posted by rjmaiorano
I'm not jiving the tube angles on that mtb. Not liking the cruiser idea. The bikes are polar opposites. I'd say cyclocross. Gives the upright feel of a roadie with the weight and strength of a mtn bike. Can be used easily in both situations. Price will be tough to find though. I'd say craigslist.
You guys know that cyclocross bikes are meant for a particular kind of racing right? I like my cross bike--and it would be better for this guy than a time trial bike--but it is not the best for around town errands and some light trails. The geometry is still going to be tight and cross bikes aren't particularily smooth off road (in a full-blown cross race, you aren't really concerned about comfort). A touring bike might be a little closer to what he wants...slacker geometry, racks, room for fenders and bigger tires (a lot of cross frames barely clear 35mm as it is the max legal size...mine are only 28mm). It isn't really trail material though but with some 35+mm tires and a little more upright position, you would be fine. Maybe the best option would be something like that schwinn with an internal hub to give some lower/higher gearing for the hills. I had a crappy 3-speed (stolen on my birthday...) and it was just right for rolling around the neighborhood. The schwinn probably isn't worth the money but something similar with a 3 (or 7/8) speed internal hub would be great.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
You guys know that cyclocross bikes are meant for a particular kind of racing right? I like my cross bike--and it would be better for this guy than a time trial bike--but it is not the best for around town errands and some light trails. The geometry is still going to be tight and cross bikes aren't particularily smooth off road (in a full-blown cross race, you aren't really concerned about comfort).

A touring bike might be a little closer to what he wants...slacker geometry, racks, room for fenders and bigger tires (a lot of cross frames barely clear 35mm as it is the max legal size...mine are only 28mm). It isn't really trail material though but with some 35+mm tires and a little more upright position, you would be fine.

Maybe the best option would be something like that schwinn with an internal hub to give some lower/higher gearing for the hills. I had a crappy 3-speed (stolen on my birthday...) and it was just right for rolling around the neighborhood. The schwinn probably isn't worth the money but something similar with a 3 (or 7/8) speed internal hub would be great.

You're absolutely right about the cross bike being a tighter bike. I actually hadn't thought about this as my regular bike now is a road bike, so I'm sort of used to the geometry.

I used to own a Specialized Sirrus, which was a great all around town bike, and it also could accommodate tires up to 35mm. Too bad it's not a cheap bike, though -- the base one is $520 (although you could get a 10-15% discount easily, and even more at the end of the season).

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of course a cyclocross is for a specific purpose. But the bikes he asked about were completely opposite. The compromising factor is a stiffer ride, which is easy to get used to and better imo.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I've definitely ruled out the MTB. I figure if I want to take on trails someday, I might just wait and collect some funds and get a decent bike.

Since I'm now going with a cruiser, I'm thinking I can probably get away with buying something used. The Schwinn is nice, but still a bit steep for something I'll ride leisurely. Perhaps I can find a used 3-speed to help with the hills. Any ideas on what to look for when buying a used cruiser?

tjc4golf

Reaction score
You may also want to consider hybrid bikes. They're a cross between road bikes and mountain bikes. They're both faster and more rugged than cruisers.

If you're willing to do a little research and buy used, you can get a much better bike for your buck by looking on your local craigslist or checking for bike co-ops in your area.

Fallen Angels

Reaction score
yeah, get a hybrid bike. that's the first thing i thought of when i read your topic.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Only problem with hybrids is that they often come with a lot of bad parts and aren't nicely assembled by the high-volume shops that sell them (due to the fact that they are usually sold to consumers who weren't smart enough to go do some research online first).

I like the idea of a used bike--I am not sure where to look in long island but there are a lot of places where you can get a semi-reconditioned 3-speed for less than that schwinn. For half the money, you could have something that was several steps above the schwinn in quality and probably hasn't been ridden that hard.

Key things you want to look for:
-alloy rims (steel is heavy and doesn't stop well...rotational weight matters more than total weight)
-fresh brake pads (they dry out...the bike that someone bought 30 years and never rode may be in perfect condition but you may need to spend $5 to get some generic pads made with rubber from *this* millenium)
-other "consumables" should be good too (cables/housings and tires can get old...but they are an easy and cheap replacement).
and last but not least:
-proper fit.

Most bike coop type places should be able to help you out with the first 3...they typically replace anything that is too old (and would be happy to do the service for a little extra $ on anything they have not done). The final one is on you--test ride and make sure its comfortable.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips, that will be good to know when I start looking around. Question, is there any way to determine whether rims are alloy or steel. Will I be able to tell by picking the bike up and feeling the weight, or is there something else I should notice?

vm1336

Reaction score
If it's not marked on the rim then I don't know how you would tell without going down to the bike store and examining the difference with the help of a sales person.

Bike fit is by far the most important factor to consider. You could spend thousands of bucks on a bike that is the wrong size and hate it after a few rides.

Unfortunately, in your price point there are not a lot of quality bikes. Go to a good bike store, pretend to be a buyer, find out what you want, what fits you, and then look for similar stuff used on craigslist. You need some more knowledge before you should buy used online, and a good bike store is the best place to ask questions about bikes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads