• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

so I'm moving to Sydney... where to shop??

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was offered a promotion yesterday to head up our marketing group for Australia & New Zealand. It appears to be an ideal next step, career-wise, and living in Sydney is ironically just the icing on the cake.
tongue.gif

I have several days to consider the offer, so I thought I'd ask you guys for input on Sydney. Specifically:

1. I've heard that people are pretty relaxed when it comes to dress. How would Sydney compare with San Francisco, New York or London? Is this the land of shorts, khakis and t-shirts? Should I postpone further suit purchases?

2. How's the shopping? Any suggestions or hidden gems?

3. Any neighborhood suggestions for where I should house-hunt? Our offices are in Baulkham Hills, which appears to be about 30 miles from the harbor. I'm 32, single and have a flexible budget.
Thanks to everyone in advance for the input. This is more or less a done deal, and the only downside is that I'll be moving from winter in Brussels directly into winter in Sydney.
plain.gif

Duveen

Reaction score
Congrats! Don't know anything about Sydney, other than that I'd like to be sent there to head a division....

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Way to go E! Congrats.
thumbs-up.gif

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congratulations! Winter in Sydney will be mild, with some rain, but probably nothing like what you're used to. I visited Sydney nearly ten years ago and the city seemed very casual, but I visited the tourist areas, so you should look to the natives for advice. I did find the Australians very friendly and sports-crazed. I envy you. Enjoy!!

Millerp

Reaction score
Congratulations

Only visited as a tourist, but some of the nicest neighborhoods in which to live
seem to be in the northern suburbs - Neutral Bay, Mosman,
Cremorne and environs. If you like to be near water, Balmoral is nice.
If you have lots of money, Double Bay has beautiful homes.

People seem to dress as they do in Southern California.
You see shirts and ties, but often no jackets during lunch
hour downtown in summer.

It's a great city.

Aqua

Reaction score
Sydney is quite humid and the Summers are, at times, unbearable. The Winters aare plesant and only cold if your near the harbour. Sydney has a lot of centralised shopping, ie shopping centres or malls (as you American's call them), beside the conservative business dress. Depending upon your work environment, dress is open collar and more casual, aside from the more traditional roles... but better check with your office's protocol.

Most Syndey siders, if they have the time and money, will travel to Melbourne to shop, as most of the niche boutiques are located there. Melbourne generally consist of Strip shopping (streets) and it is known as the Fashion Capital of Australia. I live in Melbourne and until last week, flew to Sydney on a regular basis (1 every 2 weeks).

I would say Sydney has a New York feel to it, whilst Melbourne is more European (cafe Society).

Drop me an email when you have time. Happy to expand and advise.
Good Luck

Jas

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Australia & NZ are great (big fan of the latter), but the good clothing is quite a bit rarer than in the SF-Brussels circuit (is that what you were doing before?) and all in between.

Sydney is comparable to SF in terms of dress.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sure he doesn't. Adelaide I think.

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aqua is quite correct, Melbourne is a good deal better. There are a few decent spots in Sydney, however. Herringbone in Woolahra will do MTM and quasi-bespoke shirts for prices that are less ridiculous, and at a better quality, than in Melbourne. They do a slightly tamer Jermyn St styling.

There's a bespoke suitmaker called John Cutler who is excellent, but expensive. And, a number of others who are less of both.

The older arcades like the Strand and the Queen Victoria Building tend to have interesting shops, if you're a writing enthusiast, visit Pen-Ultimate in the latter building, you won't be disappointed.

All the best,

Eden

Aus_MD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Doesn't Ronny live there?

No, he is another of Melbourne's attractions.

Medtech_expat, I shall answer your questions later today.

Aus_MD

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aus_MD
No, he is another of Melbourne's attractions.

Medtech_expat, I shall answer your questions later today.

Aus_MD

Do you visit him for some urine samples?
laugh.gif

Aus_MD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
Do you visit him for some urine samples?
laugh.gif

He claims that he consumes it all himself.

Aus_MD

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads