• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So I'm getting married.. and I need a suit.

royal618

Reaction score
My first thought was... yep, I'll get a new suit made up for the wedding. Then, I thought.. what's the consensus on suiting up for the groomsmen?

I'm only having a best man, but we should be wearing the same gear, yes?

Now, if I spring for a new suit, do I do so for the best man? Or does he foot the bill? The suits themselves will not be a one-off use, they'll be perfect for work afterwards.

What's the considered etiquette? Same goes for shirts, ties and links.

Now... what about hiring? The word 'hire' is a bit of a dirty word, not for the notion, but the products available. I'm in Sydney, and all I can see is horrible things, high 4 buttons and general rubbish
like the following - https://secure.ferrariformalwear.com...TOKEN=15577899

When what I'm after is a nice charcoal or navy blue 2 button with an understated pinstripe. It's a daytime lunch affair in winter - dress code is lounge suit.

So... what should I do?

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is the definitive thread on the subject:

http://thelondonlounge.net/gl/forum/...pic.php?t=6562

The only thing I would emphasise is that you should match to the formality of your bride. A lounge suit is fine if your bride is also showing up in a dress informal enough she could easily wear it after the wedding.

If you want to bespeak something wearable after the wedding then consider having a charcoal grey lounge suit made SB, one (or two) button, peak lapels. Have a pair of matching trousers made but also have a pair made with formal striped trousers and wear a dove grey waistcoat.

The result will be a stroller:

p_3_5.jpg

It will help to avoid turning up to your wedding dressed for an ordinary day at work in a rather mundane (and very informal) lounge suit.

summej2

Reaction score
This is good advice, though I think the a lounge suit could work with an informal Bride's dress that still was a bit too wedding-like to have a future non-wedding use.

As for how the items are paid for, for my own wedding I paid for the men's suits to be made, but simply because some were unable to pay themselves. It seems to me that etiquette defers to practical concerns here.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
Here is the definitive thread on the subject:

http://thelondonlounge.net/gl/forum/...pic.php?t=6562

The only thing I would emphasise is that you should match to the formality of your bride. A lounge suit is fine if your bride is also showing up in a dress informal enough she could easily wear it after the wedding.

If you want to bespeak something wearable after the wedding then consider having a charcoal grey lounge suit made SB, one (or two) button, peak lapels. Have a pair of matching trousers made but also have a pair made with formal striped trousers and wear a dove grey waistcoat.

The result will be a stroller:

p_3_5.jpg

It will help to avoid turning up to your wedding dressed for an ordinary day at work in a rather mundane (and very informal) lounge suit.

awesome

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

p_3_5.jpg

I can't add anything useful, I'm afraid, but this is pretty spectacular.

~ Huntsman

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That article was very informative. I'm definitely going to spring for the morning dress on my wedding. Getting it on a budget will be another matter.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
That article was very informative. I'm definitely going to spring for the morning dress on my wedding. Getting it on a budget will be another matter.

If you live in Britain, where morning attire is commonly worn to other peoples' weddings and other formal events, e.g., the Royal Ascot, buying morning dress might be sensible. Otherwise, it strikes me as a considerable waste of money (although no more so than bridal gowns). If any decent Hong Kong tailors come around where you live, that would probably be the best bet to get it on a budget.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

p_3_5.jpg

damn. would it be a "poor life choice" to ask my girlfriend to marry me just so I can wear one of those?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
damn. would it be a "poor life choice" to ask my girlfriend to marry me just so I can wear one of those?

Of course not! Don't be absurd! I say go for it!
devil.gif

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
Very nice. How I wish I saw that picture 6 years ago.
smile.gif

Uh oh....what happened? Did you wind up in a powder blue number?

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
If you live in Britain, where morning attire is commonly worn to other peoples' weddings and other formal events, e.g., the Royal Ascot, buying morning dress might be sensible. Otherwise, it strikes me as a considerable waste of money (although no more so than bridal gowns). If any decent Hong Kong tailors come around where you live, that would probably be the best bet to get it on a budget.

Fortunately, I will only be getting married once in my lifetime. Going to save by doing our own florals, cake, and other stuff. Next time I'm in England I 'll have a look around.

whomewhat

Reaction score
This may sound crazy, but in my youth I served as a sacristan at my local catholic church and participated in more weddings than I can remember. I cannot speak to the etiquette relating to payment of the suit for the best man, but as to all eventualities on the day of the wedding requiring payment or gratuity, it absolutely falls on the best man to take care of any and all such matters. Since the best man is usally a best friend or relative (brother), I cannot imagine them not wanting to pay for their own attire and along the lines described hereafter.

As to the attire, personally, I do not think there is any more elegant and classy attire than a simple SB black suit, white shirt with French cuffs, and a black tie; i.e. Cary Grant. I bought a Kiton SB Black suit/tuxedo in a Super 150's that I wear as easily to church on Sundays or the black tie event. I would never purchase anything that could only be used once (or a few times in its life), when you could purchase something spectacular for that special day and use it over and over on special occasions, such as your wedding anniversary. I know my wife appreciates it when I wear something that evokes pleasant memories, and their can be no more pleasant memory than your wedding day.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whomewhat

As to the attire, personally, I do not think there is any more elegant and classy attire than a simple SB black suit, white shirt with French cuffs, and a black tie; i.e. Cary Grant

The black lounge suit and Cary Grant mentioned in the same breath
eek.gif
!

Then again I guess even he had to attend the occasional funeral.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads