• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So I'm getting married.. and I need a suit.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How did you like my home-made one dear Sator ?

and by the way that Idea of having a suit with an extra pair of striped trousers is a good one !

stroller.jpg

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Another more practical option, although perhaps a tad less formal for the wedding itself:

a very dark grey (nearly black) DB suit, with no pocket flaps or vents. Supplement that with the striped trousers and you have a stroller. No vest needed. Manton's article shows a few of those. In its original guise, an elegant suit for evenings out.

If you do go for the SB stroller, Oxford grey will also make the resulting suit more useful in places other than nightclubs.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lakewolf
How did you like my home-made one dear Sator ?

and by the way that Idea of having a suit with an extra pair of striped trousers is a good one !

http://mypage.bluewin.ch/andres.flores/TGA/stroller.jpg

I think it works remarkably well for an ensemble (ein Stresemann in German - not sure of the French although a morning coat is call une Jaquette) cobbled together out of what you had in the closet.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02
Plus lots of unintentional humor.
Hey! Some of it was intentional!

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
On the vents point, I think you could go either way. Back in the 30s, no vents was more common than vents. Formal clothes made in Savile Row even today tend not to have vents, but that is by no means universal. I would not get a center vent, which seems too informal, too horsey, and too American, all at once.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
I used to like black suits until I saw the good points against them. *shrug*

That and I was still in my Matrix mode a few years ago. Whoa!

agent1.jpg

I thought we'd determined that black suits were fine for going out in the evening... either way, I think that Jovan looks really good in this outfit... I don't know about the Matrix, but it definitely reminds me of the Blues Brothers. I would think this would be a very good look at a nightclub - definitely stand out from the stripey crowd, but not too old-fogeyish.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
That was my Agent Smith costume a few years ago. I was making fun of past self.
tongue.gif

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like that you are able to make fun of your past self. I'm also amused that people are complimenting your past self's choice of dress.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
I am as well. I mean, I appreciate it, but I think I have better style sense now.

trogdor

Reaction score
Sorry to revive a long-dead thread, but I've been thinking about the proper wedding attire, and I wanted to double check.

Let me get this straight: There are a bunch of things I have in my wardrobe that I thought (from reading Style Forum) I shouldn't have. These include items such as a black suit, and stripey odd trousers. I also thought that it was cheating to take a suit jacket and try to pass it off as an odd jacket by wearing it with different trousers.

Now I see pretty pictures like the ones below, which tell me that I'm allowed to put these forbidden items together, and it's an appropriate form of attire for a wedding. I take the jacket from my black suit, my stripey odd trousers, put them with a dove grey waistcoat and a silver or macclesfield tie, and all of a sudden my sartorial hall of shame is turned into a smashing wedding outfit?

I am both shocked and happy. Next I'll learn that grain-corrected rubber-soled square-toed KC loafers are the appropriate footwear!

hrapril1936champagneshijo5.jpg

p_3_5.jpg

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black is a colour reserved for formal dress. That is why a black dinner jacket is correct. That is why a black stroller/morning coat is correct.

That is why a black lounge suit is incorrect. Indeed lounge suits should - correctly speaking - be regarded as a higher form of slobwear.

Also not all striped trousers are appropriate as formal trousering. You cannot take your brown trousers with purple pinstripes and call them 'formal trousers'.

trogdor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
Also not all striped trousers are appropriate as formal trousering. You cannot take your brown trousers with purple pinstripes and call them 'formal trousers'.

Curses. I knew they were a bad investment
tounge.gif

ENT

Reaction score

p_3_5.jpg

I'm getting married in July (daytime ceremony) and absolutely love this outfit. I'm a newbie and was wondering where you would recommend I get the various pieces. I live in Columbus, OH and don't have access to a lot of specialty stores. Would I be able to get everything at Brooks Brothers?

Waveman

Reaction score
Here is the definitive thread on the subject:

http://thelondonlounge.net/gl/forum/...pic.php?t=6562

If you want to bespeak something wearable after the wedding then consider having a charcoal grey lounge suit made SB, one (or two) button, peak lapels. Have a pair of matching trousers made but also have a pair made with formal striped trousers and wear a dove grey waistcoat.

The result will be a stroller:

I am attempting to pull this off for my wedding. I feel we have already spent plenty of money on a piece of clothing no one will ever wear again (the bride's dress), so I would like my attire to get some future wear. I just don't run in the right circles to have need for a morning suit in my wardrobe. (I am willing to splurge on some trousers and a waistcoat for one-time wear, though.) Is there any specific difference between a stroller and the coat from a lounge suit? I'm planning on peak lapels, but is there anything else I should keep in mind? Should I order my suit with no vent, center vent, side vent? Any help would be much appreciated.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I must say I find the American English term "stroller" to be a bit irritating mostly because it sounds like some sort of baby pram. In British English it is just called a "black jacket and striped trousers". The jacket can be charcoal grey too - preferably Oxford grey. It is just a plain lounge coat. Pointed lapels are nice, but by no means essential.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads