• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So I work for my father and have become a target for jealously

wannabelean

Reaction score
How does one deal this? I keep hearing and people telling me all the time that its my father's money. Yes my father is doing well and I'm glad to be working with him. Its a family business. I refuse to stoop down to a low by saying that just because you are not lucky does not mean that I shouldn't be. Its particularly gets to me when such things are raised during social gatherings. Anybody has the same problem? and knows of a gentleman way to deal with it?

Thanks

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
my friend worked for and now runs his now-deceased father's company. be cordial and grin and bear it IMO. it is inevitable and you will need their help and support if you are running it one day.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's like being the coach's son on a basketball team. Take it all in stride and let your merit do the talking.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I have similar experience. I worked for 18 months in an office job in which my father was the VP of the company. The owner was a no show kind of guy, so my father ran the day to days. I got hired against my father's will, because he was afraid of accusations of nepotism. The way that I got past it was by working ****** off day after day after day. I was generally the first person to be at the office, the one to take the shortest lunches, and the last one to leave. I'd say that for the first six months, I took a lot of **** from people because of my father. People accusing me of being lazy and getting promotions only because of my father. Then they started to see that I was working ****** off. That there was a reason I was getting promoted after 6 months and they weren't after 2 years, and that was reason was that I cared about my job and wasn't just passing the time from 7 to 6 (while they worked from 8 til 5, often showing up late or leaving early). I was productive, hard working, and had a knack for the job and good leadership skills. I didn't listen to what they said, and I put my head down and kept working. Eventually, the talk went away, and I made some good friends that I still keep in contact with at the company.

Basically, if you want these people to get over whatever they have a problem with, you need to show them that you care about the company and are willing to earn everything you get. Unless, of course, you are just riding on your father's success, in which case you shouldn't be upset when they talk about it, because it's true.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have worked for two family owned businesses.

1. the CEO used to eat take away resteraunt food in his office with his wife listening to clasical music while everyone else ate in the cafeteria. his nephew had a minor position in the company but had a very attractive secratary. the CEO's sister reported to me and on my annual review one year he asked me to "be nicer to my sister, please". that company wasn't very successful.

2. my present company - the CEO is the grandson of the founder, he worked in the company for 20 years before he was given a senior position, his two children started at the very bottom of the company. several cousins and other family members work in the company, all started at the very bottom. the CEO, by the way, drives an old honda, and lives very modestly. this company is a global market in our field and is very successful.

if people see that you are earning your money, they will give you respect.

wannabelean

Reaction score
Yeah I've learned to handle this at work. Work harder than everybody else and show results. The problem is at social gatherings where friends(school, college, family etc.) are involved. This is where I kinda dont have a reply.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No reply is necessary.
Be a gentleman; do not talk about your work, your income or your wealth.
Turn the conversation around; ask, engage, listen.

nordicstyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Basically, if you want these people to get over whatever they have a problem with, you need to show them that you care about the company and are willing to earn everything you get. Unless, of course, you are just riding on your father's success, in which case you shouldn't be upset when they talk about it, because it's true.

+1

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
No reply is necessary. Be a gentleman; do not talk about your work, your income or your wealth. Turn the conversation around; ask, engage, listen.
Great advice.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been there done that. Take it with a grain of salt realizing that the jealousy is common and it is the other person's problem not yours. Work your ass off and if you're a leader then lead by example. By that I mean set the bar for exceptional work performance. It'll freak people out but after a while your co workers will realize that you aren't on daddy's shirt tail and you earn your keep. If you get trapped in a social circle turn it into a joke about yourself and steer the conversation elsewhere. If it happens at work and you are in a position of authority call the offender into your office and tell them how it is and what will happen discipline wise if it continues. Don't forget to tell the ol' man either. You can bet the offender will most likely take it there if they are really pissy about you.

Welcome to office politics and the games people play.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I understand this correctly, the problems aren't at work, but rather with people that are not part of the company?

If so, don't respond. They'll never understand. They'll never know the reality. If you are truly trying to keep a family company going and busting your ass for it, then others outside the company will never understand.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Find the leader of this "jealousy" brigade. Call a big meeting with all the rank and file. Call out the leader and tell him "if you want to keep your job and keep stuffing your family with value meals at McDonalds, spit shine my shoes now!" After putting him in his place, the rest of the cohorts will respect and admire your domination. At which point I would yell out, "I'm the king of the world!!"

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Find the leader of this "jealousy" brigade. Call a big meeting with all the rank and file. Call out the leader and tell him "if you want to keep your job and keep stuffing your family with value meals at McDonalds, spit shine my shoes now!" After putting him in his place, the rest of the cohorts will respect and admire your domination. At which point I would yell out, "I'm the king of the world!!"

Is this some new sexual trick that I have not heard about?

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
Is this some new sexual trick that I have not heard about?

You don't know that one?
bounce2.gif

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
I've always been the boss' son...people are always going to have issues with nepotism. At the end of the day it will always be your name on the door.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads