• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So I work for my father and have become a target for jealously

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
Is this some new sexual trick that I have not heard about?

yes actually, substitute "a$$hole" for shoes
teacha.gif

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Also working in the family business- and my folks are the most difficult people to work with, and sometimes it pisses me off when people do say that I'm taking it easy working for the fam biz but they don't know how much **** I go through dealing with them- and then dealing with them AFTER work as family. The people in our organization are cool though, I can't really say I started out at the bottom, but I've also never backed out of helping out doing the shittiest job here.

Tardek

Reaction score
Why are you wasting time asking us this question instead of having your father fire them, while you stand by him with a mean little smirk on your face?

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People will probably always say things like this, particularly if you are young and, as a consequence of working for your father, relatively well off, I know a few people who are in a similar position and I have been in a similar place myself as an intern.
Don't worry about it, if they are your friends out side of the company they will get bored of it eventually, if they are your co-workers put in your time and do your bit of the work, don't be standoffish and they will come around. If your father is doing well he is probably good at what he does, and thus wouldn't give you any responsibilities if he didn't think you were up to them, you will prove this to others with time.

Make sure you work well enough that there is no justification for any of the accusations and keep cool about the whole thing, it will pass.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tardek
Why are you wasting time asking us this question instead of having your father fire them, while you stand by him with a mean little smirk on your face?

It's not his co-workers, it's his friends. Or rather, dickheads who claim to be his friend, probably so they can get some of that sweet moolah his paps is making.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I have worked for two family owned businesses.

if people see that you are earning your money, they will give you respect.

You may want to examine your own behavior. If you flaunt how well you are doing, then you may have to expect that other people who feel they are starting from scratch are going to point out you aren't.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Case in point- I have a "friend" from high school who is in the same social circle as me. His father has done extremely well- sold several businesses for in excess of $100 million each. My friend's dad has constantly helped the kid out since high school. I don't feel like detailing examples here, but suffice to say it's a list of one lavish form of support after another throughout the guy's life.

In high school his dad paid for a rather lavish summer study program in order to ensure the guy was a good candidate for college. I remember the story clearly, but to hear him tell it to someone now- he got into his Ivy league college totally on his own merits. At one point he was an "artist" trying to put together a photography book of the southwest, but if you pushed a little further he was driving around in a BMW and staying at posh hotels all the while. He was working in another city- Atlanta- at one point and claimed he was working in a comparable business to his fathers, of course he failed to mention that his employer was one of the companies his dad sold a business too. For the last couple years he has worked for his dad, which is fine, but he constantly brags about his advancement within the company as if it had nothing to do with him working for his dad. Meanwhile, having known the guy for a long time, his work ethic is far from impressive-- only his ability for bragging. He's a nice guy, but this particular aspect of his personality is extremely irritating to someone "making it own their own". My only conclusion is he's super insecure or he purposely enjoys irritating all his friends.

Tardek

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
It's not his co-workers, it's his friends. Or rather, dickheads who claim to be his friend, probably so they can get some of that sweet moolah his paps is making.

Hire them first then.

Beta

Reaction score
Subscribed...Im basically running the day to day of a small business....3 locations, low 7 figure sales, and trying not to get overwhelmed. Dad is a hothead and im always putting out fires or getting caught in the middle of stuff...and it not necessarily that he is wrong. Signing the checks on the front instead of the back and realizing that its MY MONEY makes me view things differently.
Its been an experience. I actually left for 6 months last year to try to make it on my own, and was very successful, and learned my actual worth on my own...but the 2 people that replaced me couldn't get it done and I was able to ask for enough money to make it worth it to deal with the crap that I knew coming back would entail. theres a lot of plusses and minuses, i definitely work the most hours, but when I lost my grandmother this year, I certainly didn't have to deal with HR and time off requests. Its been a learning experience, thats for sure....but Ive started to realize that this is my best shot at making some real money.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads