• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So I went out today

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Now that you've had your sartorial awakening, the world no longer looks the same.

What?? He isn't a vampire. He hasn't had an 'awakening'. He read some stuff on the internet and bought some clothes.

Listen to DocHolliday.

If you like those clubs keep going to them, if not stop. If you keep going to them either get over the fact people are not impressed by your clothes or dress differently. Part of being dressed well is dressing appropriately for the occasion. If you want to dress 'sartorially' all of the time, well you will limit the sort of places you can go, or you will have to learn to put up with some odd looks.

davidc

Reaction score

What?? He isn't a vampire. He hasn't had an 'awakening'. He read some stuff on the internet and bought some clothes.

I was thinking more on the lines of the movie Awakenings starring Robin Williams.

Not having watched the Vampire Diaries or the Twilight series I quess I missed the vampire connection. Thanks for clearing that up.

Last edited:

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Before your interest in clothes, did you dress like the people you now find annoying?

For me, I was way worse than the average joe. In my case, it was just a complete ignorance and awareness of nicer clothes -- had simply been following the precedent set by those around me. Good thing I found this place. Still learning and building my wardrobe, but with some time I'll be dressing well.

Last edited:

caseyfud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I might be because that's all they can afford and/or is available to them. I mean Porsches are nice, but if one can only afford a Geely....
I wonder if its true or not, that some SFers (iGents) who might spend beyond their means on designer luxury clothes, are heavily in debt?

Hermes Man :laugh:

after taking an interest in mens fashion, i find it annoying to hang around people with minimal fashion knowledge, perhaps im turning gay, whatever...

This is idiotic.

Zeppelin

Reaction score
That's just a load of names, doesn't really mean a lot to me. Got any pictures of your outfit? TBH I thought the whole idea of clubs was to get drunk, have a good time, maybe pick-up a girl, and not some sort of fashion show. Clubs are probably not the best places to be wearing your most expensive and cherished clothing anyway, e.g. the bouncers might push you into a lake, get drinks or puke all over you, cigarette smoke, etc.
Very true. Plus, unless the chicks are gold-diggers, they usually don't care too much about brand names. Clothes have to fit, you have to look comfortable (read: don't worry the whole time about your upscale clothes being damaged) as well as confident.

Lionheart Biker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Your user name is Eddie Cibrian and you have an avatar of Bradley Cooper....Double mancrush???

Just saying
lol8[1].gif

Last edited:

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyway, if I really must say it's less of they think it's bad style it's more of them being intimidated. Sharply dressed people normally come across as intimidating.

I feel like this is how MC justifies its social failures. Hey those ladies don't need to talk to me, they're just intimidated...right? right? :uhoh:

davidc

Reaction score

For me, I was way worse than the average joe. In my case, it was just a complete ignorance and awareness of nicer clothes -- had simply been following the precedent set by those around me. Good thing I found this place. Still learning and building my wardrobe, but with some time I'll be dressing well.

Now that you've step outside the box, what would your "old self" think of your "new self" if you met him in a club or passed each other on the street? Would you even notice him/you? Would you notice the way his clothes fit, whether or not they were cheaply made?

Before I started improving the way I dressed, I really didn't notice what people were wearing at all. It just didn't register. What they were wearing got "filtered" out, unless of course something was radically different (good or bad).

When I started to improve the way I dressed and this whole clothing thing was very new to me, nothing I saw got filtered out.
It was very difficult to look at someone, anyone, without picking them apart. I was even picking myself apart.

Now that I've been doing this for a while, I'm once again able to filter these things out. And as for picking myself apart, I realise it's
a journey and not a destination.

I think there's a saying (perhaps Zen) that pretty much sums it up for me:
Before enlightenment a mountain is a mountain, during enlightenment a mountain is not a mountain,
after enlightenment a mountain is a mountain.

eddiecibrian

Reaction score

Finally we come to the crux of the problem. Now that you've had your sartorial awakening, the world no longer looks the same.
Before your interest in clothes, did you dress like the people you now find annoying?

yes im ashamed to say, but i knew it looked bad, i was never happy with what i bought, i just bought it because it was cheap and i had no idea where to get good clothes so i just settled, its one thing to do that...its another thing to look at people who are well dressed, and criticize it just because rappers dont wear that stuff in their music videos, of course i looked nice, for those of you that asked, and it's not about going to the clubs, i know the dangers of getting my clothes dirty, i wear my apcs because i need to break them in, the ferragamo boots are pretty used so i dont mind wearing them, the only thing i was worried about was the hamilton shirt, and i had the ralph lauren jacket to cover that, a good example would be, if someone here wore a plain black blazer, people would compliment you on it, but if you wore a tweed one, people would tend to think it's nerdy. thats what i was annoyed by, my friend and those who thinks this sartorial style is nerdy, and tell you that the girls wont dig it....which proves annoying because i dont really know if the average girl in her 20's prefer what the masses wear, some girl told me she thought steve madden was high end. doesnt it suck if you dress well but the guy who wears affliction and ed hardy standing next to you gets more compliments

and yes i did have a man crush on both those guys. :drool:

Last edited:

Texastyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I kind of agree with the black blazer comment. My friends all wear black suits and constantly poke fun at me if I bust out a herringbone jacket or even corduroy. It doesn't really bother me because I know what I like and I know that they are ignorant.

Last edited:

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
How about sports bars?

:confused:

Drinks are $8 to $13, and there are flat screen TVs on the walls.

Thanks.

Last edited:

stylemeup

Reaction score

I but most girls out there in clubs seem to appreciate trash and generic mall brands more so than somewhat higher end clothing

Women do not care what you wear, whether it's good or bad. The only thing they care about is your personality and how much confidence you have in yourself. How you dress is irrelevant.

It does suck that dressing well costs a lot of money, yet women don't care. But that's life. What you said in the original post is correct: if you are dressing well for women, you should stop, because that is a waste of your money, time and energy.

Last edited:

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you wish to attract a woman who does care about what you wear then you should too.

If you wish to attract a woman who doesn't then you don't need to care either.

If you just want to get laid then it's probably best to dress cheap and trashy like everyone else in the clubs and focus on keeping yourself in great shape.

P-K-L

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Women do not care what you wear, whether it's good or bad. The only thing they care about is your personality and how much confidence you have in yourself. How you dress is irrelevant.
It does suck that dressing well costs a lot of money, yet women don't care. But that's life. What you said in the original post is correct: if you are dressing well for women, you should stop, because that is a waste of your money, time and energy.

lolwut

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics