• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

so i went inside in a rugby store for the first time today (verdict inside thread)

repressedm

Reaction score
I think that for styleforumites at least, Rugby is strictly inferior to J. Crew. I really wanted to like it; the idea of a more youthful Ralph Lauren with ONLY custom fits was very appealing to me. And indeed, fit and design was good. But it wasn't good enough. I ended up not buying anything, because the store offered nothing J. Crew did not at a lower price point and/or greater variety (with the exception of gaudily logoed items). The killer is that the sale items at Rugby were only totally out of season and useless or ugly items, whereas at J. Crew things go on sale pretty rapidly, and sometimes current items go on sale (some of the vintage ocbds are on sale right now, while other colors are being displayed at full price).

FormalFashion08

Reaction score
Ok. So now what
musicboohoo[1].gif

repressedm

Reaction score
i just wanted to start another long discussion. whodini/tarmac will insult me, and then useful posters will come up with some interesting insights.

repressedm

Reaction score
yes, i did like the slimness. i just wished that some of the more fall-like patterns would also come in oxford cloth, instead of just on light broadcloth. does it only seem counterintuitive to me that oxford cloth button downs, which have the thickest cloth, come only in light colors?

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oxford cloth button down. A shirt with a button down collar.

Willsw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh **** I love Eddie Bauer! Like how they use canoes as shelves? Yeah? Shelf-canoes? Yeah? So cool.

I went to visit the RRL store in Georgetown, and after talking to the very enthusiastic high school salesgirl about things I already knew, we moved to talking about how awful rugby was next door. And was it my imagination, or did they have an A&F-like male model standing outside?

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Uhmmm we were referring to someone who is definitely not young lol. I think that was the point. That Rugby store is ******* terrible too, ugh. I bought some chinos from there and was trying to find some OCBDs, but the sales people were too busy dancing around to the best of the 1980s.

repressedm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Maybe we can turn this into a weekly thing. You could review places like J. Crew, Gap, American Eagle, Bass, and Eddie Bauer.
fing02[1].gif

ty

Willsw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
Uhmmm we were referring to someone who is definitely not young lol. I think that was the point. That Rugby store is ******* terrible too, ugh. I bought some chinos from there and was trying to find some OCBDs, but the sales people were too busy dancing around to the best of the 1980s.

Oh yeah, her. I didn't actually read the thread. She was very knowledgable and well-dressed. The other girl was just enthusiastic, pretty, and in dire need of some changing-room time alone.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads