1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

So i waltzed into martin greenfield today...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by AnGeLiCbOrIs, May 20, 2008.

1. treegarden

treegarden Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's definitely a great price. Brooks MTM is $1450 during an MTM event several times a year. The results (a friend just got one) were impressive.

Yes, I took delivery on my first one (using a 15% corporate discount) about a month ago and then ordered another at 25% off. Regular price is $2395.

2. SuitingStyle

SuitingStyle Senior member

Yes, I took delivery on my first one (using a 15% corporate discount) about a month ago and then ordered another at 25% off. Regular price is $2395.

but is the look the typical BB = heavily padde shoulders? I have one OTR GF suit, and the shoulders are very heavliy padded.

3. AnGeLiCbOrIs

AnGeLiCbOrIs Senior member

but is the look the typical BB = heavily padde shoulders? I have one OTR GF suit, and the shoulders are very heavliy padded.

I asked for lightly padded shoulders so I'll see how mine turns out.

4. nsoltz

nsoltz Senior member

Mazel Tov on the upcoming wedding. I hope the lucky kallah can find an equally-great source for her gown.

5. AnGeLiCbOrIs

Mazel Tov on the upcoming wedding. I hope the lucky kallah can find an equally-great source for her gown.
    she took care of her gown long ago. She's renting it from someone local. I honestly am at a loss for what to do. In my sf addled mind $1100 is very reasonable for a wedding suit - especially one made to such nice standards. However, as a law student, i am currently forced to rely on my parents to help me out. When i told my father how much the suit cost he flipped his lid. He told me that he's going to stop giving his support even if i pay for the suit myself. He obviously has a point but i think that $1100 is a reasonable price even for an otr suit. I'm at a total loss here. I would feel terrible calling to cancel my order and i'd be very unhappy in a suit from ck or dkny or the like. Oy.

6. billiebob

billiebob Senior member

That must have been some fancy fabric because the University book is $1450 and the book above that is $1600 or so. Of course you can get much more expensive fabric from some of the other books.

Any idea if that corporate discount can be combined with their MTM event or a 25% off sale on RTW items?

7. SuitingStyle

The price is very reasonable, given his reputation and the quality of suit. Acutally you had me temped to go down there myself and get a suit made myself (even though my closet can't hold any more suits). Do you have other nicely tailored suits or this will be your first one? Perhaps you could convince your father this will not only be your wedding suit, but a suit for work in the future.

8. bullethead

bullethead Senior member

I've had a few items made there withing the last year or so and am quite happy with them. If I could figure out my stupid camera i would post pics.

Had a two button grey worsted suit (gladson, 11oz cloth) with an extra pair of trousers for $1900. I don't wear a suit often, so this does the trick when i need one. Also had two coats made from Loro Piana storm system that ran $2800 for both.

Great people to work with, will use them again.

9. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Senior member

so....you got a martin greenfield MTM suit for $1100? Damn, that IS a deal on a very well made suit!

fuck those chinese suits members are reviewing-- you can get a martin greenfield for that price!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

so....you got a martin greenfield MTM suit for $1100? Damn, that IS a deal on a very well made suit!

fuck those chinese suits members are reviewing-- you can get a martin greenfield for that price!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't recall any Martin Greenfield product having as much handwork as the Chinese-made Crittenden you're referring to. The latter is also significantly cheaper.

11. SuitingStyle

I don't recall any Martin Greenfield product having as much handwork as the Chinese-made Crittenden you're referring to. The latter is also significantly cheaper.

I think he is refering to WW Chan and other traveling tailors

12. polar-lemon

polar-lemon Senior member

Isn't the Critt. $900, and the Greenfield $1100? I think that's a fair difference to pay for full MTM, even if it lacks the handwork. I don't think you can compare, because even the finest RTW garments can be found for much less than retail on ebay, from online stores, etc., but MTM is significantly more difficult to find on discount. In fact, $1100 for a fully canvassed MTM suit from a reputable maker is an incredible bargain, especially considering how much the equivalent services cost at J. Press or BB. Come to think of it, the Golden Fleece OTR Greenfield suits at BB start at $1600.

13. khaki sack

khaki sack Senior member

You ordered a 120s for your ,wedding?! [​IMG]

Hmmmm. Good luck with that.

14. p.o.t.u.s

p.o.t.u.s Well-Known Member

You ordered a 120s for your ,wedding?! [​IMG]

Hmmmm. Good luck with that.

Why?

15. padronlover

padronlover Senior member

Martin Greenfield's son told me that they usually do their MTM work by appointment only. He did not mention anything about being selective about whom they accept as customers. I just googled their address, drove to the factory, walked up to the receptionist and said "I want to buy a suit." She told me to wait for Mr Greenfield. After about twenty minutes he showed up and helped me select a fabric. Then he called in the tailor who took my measurements and discussed the style (2btn, flap pockets, side vents, flat front pants, red lining, surgeon cuffs) and cut (modern fit, jacket length 1" shorter than normal). The buttons will be applied after I return for my fitting in the second week of June. They were willing to rush the suit since I am getting married on June 22nd.

At my request they are making the suit without any linen in the collar or canvas since I'm an orthodox Jew and can not mix linen and wool in a garment. He wrote "Kosher" in big letters on the order sheet.

All in all, I think I got a great deal considering the excellent quality of Greenfield's work and the much higher starting price of their OTR suits.

EDIT: I'm not sure about all of the details but the buttonholes and pickstitching are definitely being sewn by hand. [​IMG]

lol[​IMG]

16. khaki sack

khaki sack Senior member

Why?

I would go with 130s (creamier hand) for a wedding ,at least.

17. AnGeLiCbOrIs

I think I could have taken the Piana Tasmanian 130s for the same price (possibly $100 more.) I definitely looked through the book. Mr Greenfield recommended the English 120s fabric so I trusted his judgment. The cashmere gives the fabric a great hand too.

18. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

That's a very arbitrary distinction until you've actually seen the fabrics in question.

19. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

Without getting into the ins and outs of Chinese vs. American workmanship, I wanted to mention that location contributes to what I call "local culture". Martin Greenfield makes for an awful lot of American suit programs, including haberdashers and designers who create wardrobes for businessmen. Greenfield thus gets to see what is culturally acceptable and indeed culturally admirable in a suit. A suit made in China, depending on who is directing the tastes for what length of the production process, may be out of touch with what's needed for NYC.

20. AnGeLiCbOrIs

I just called Greenfield and was told that I can send them referrals. They normally operate by appointment only. If anyone is interested in the MTM dept. phone number or more info please send me a PM.