• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So I started a clothing company...

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Returning to normal service after the interesting conversations of the last week or two, I have incoming garments this week. I will post pictures as soon as I'm able and look forward to sharing with you guys. Stay tuned!

MrNestor

Reaction score
Returning to normal service after the interesting conversations of the last week or two, I have incoming garments this week. I will post pictures as soon as I'm able and look forward to sharing with you guys. Stay tuned!

Yes please, lots of pictures and also describe your "housestyle".

WillingToLearn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The first batch...

This is actually a really pretty brown/ olive color thats hard to pick up in pictures.
IMG_20190305_195801.jpg

For the button hole fans.
IMG_20190305_195903.jpg

Some interior detailing. This is closer to the actual color of the fabric.
IMG_20190305_200052.jpg

The brown suit trousers. I just noticed that this is the only picture that shows the button color. I used a mid brown Corozo nut button on this suit and I really like the contrast.
IMG_20190305_200010.jpg

This is a tan pair that came in for another customer's spring order.
IMG_20190305_202004.jpg

And a light grey for the same guy.
IMG_20190305_202013.jpg

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've noticed those half-crescent shaped stitches around the pockets on some garments. They seem to show up in some products and not in others. Do you know the reason why they're used?

emptym

Reaction score
Looks great to me, b. My one possible point for improvement is that the pick stitching could be more subtle. Could just be that the photos exaggerate it.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've noticed those half-crescent shaped stitches around the pockets on some garments. They seem to show up in some products and not in others. Do you know the reason why they're used?

I was thinking I should say something really iGent about it centering the pocket and being inspired by the tailoring on a small Italian island with three people, a goat and a parrot. The truth is, I have no idea. I'll see what I can find out from the factory, but perhaps one of the tailors will be along shortly and can shed some light on this for us.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks great to me, b. My one possible point for improvement is that the pick stitching could be more subtle. Could just be that the photos exaggerate it.

The pictures, as well as the lighting, do exagerate the pick stitching somewhat. It is also an option that the customers selected for these particular items. There are actually a number of options related to pick stitching that you can select, this being sort of the entry point. You can go up to having all of the seams pick stitched, and even double row pick stitching. It can look pretty aggressive at times, so I dont encourage it often. However, there are applications where it works well, including the double row picks.

Interestingly, the handmade garments, which have the pick stitching done by hand look very different to the machine made garments. That really surprised me. I dont have any pictures handy, but I'll see if I can find one to show the comparision.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I was thinking I should say something really iGent about it centering the pocket and being inspired by the tailoring on a small Italian island with three people, a goat and a parrot. The truth is, I have no idea. I'll see what I can find out from the factory, but perhaps one of the tailors will be along shortly and can shed some light on this for us.

You can tell customers they're inspired by the gates in The Neverending Story

maxresdefault.jpg

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are we referring to here? :confused2:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
These half-moon stitches next to the bar tacks. I notice the ends of pockets sometimes have them. They seem to show up on more affordably priced garments (not knocking!), but not higher-end ones. But I don't understand why they're added since the pockets already have bar tacks. I also don't understand what the stitches do.

IMG_20190305_200052.jpg

bsarosi

Reaction score

My guess is it's some kind of reinforcement for the pockets in case you put stuff (cell phone, pens, card wallet, etc.) in them but that's just a guess as they already have the bar tacks

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
On handmade garments that stitching is sometimes done by hand to secure the ends of the pocket jets. It's kinda bogus on machine-made pockets- they'r'e not really needed as the pockets are much stronger, it's just done for decoration. Plus I hate the bar tack because it makes it extremely difficult to alter. Like a lot of these decorative details they're often added to lower-end products to "dress them up", but you do sometimes see them on higher-end stuff because retailers like them.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Mezza Luna or half moon. They secure the ends of the pocket pipes that are under the cloth and add additional strength to securing the end of the pockets. The top cloth is folded under at the end of the pockets and the corners are vulnerable/less secure. See it on top tier tailors like Caraceni. Did these in my apprenticeship. Have to make lots of these to consistently make a clean round shape by hand.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads