• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So I need to figure out a new way to exercise

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
I was doing pretty damn well running my stairs every day, but now I have moved house to place with an elevator, and with tiled stairs that get wet (its the rainy season here now) and are therefore damn slippery.

So I have to figure out a new exercise.....

I have about 20 mins a day to spend on exercise, which was why belting myself up the stairs was good for me. Any suggestions? Fat burning a priority since the gut is starting to rear its ugly head again.

Are those swingy elliptical things any good by the way?

Ive never tried one....would 20 mins on one of these every morning give me a decent workout?

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Try shoplifting... I hear you run harder when there's someone chasing you.

raley

Reaction score
I heard running stairs is really bad for your knees. Any truth to this?

ninja edit: Running on an elliptical is good but I don't think it gives you as good as a workout as running for real on the ground. It just feels different. Also it can be a bit awkward to run on one if you take long strides - it can be a bit restrictive. This is all decidedly non-scientific, just speaking from experience. They are quite easy on the knees/ankles/feet however if that is ever a problem for you.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Find yourself Ms. Vietnam. You'll be burning calories morning and night.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
I was doing pretty damn well running my stairs every day, but now I have moved house to place with an elevator, and with tiled stairs that get wet (its the rainy season here now) and are therefore damn slippery.

So I have to figure out a new exercise.....

I have about 20 mins a day to spend on exercise, which was why belting myself up the stairs was good for me. Any suggestions? Fat burning a priority since the gut is starting to rear its ugly head again.

Are those swingy elliptical things any good by the way?

Ive never tried one....would 20 mins on one of these every morning give me a decent workout?

Get an exercise bike, treadmill or elliptical trainer (make sure you have high enough ceilings if you get the elliptical - nothing like starting to exercise and knocking yourself unconscious on your ceiling). I find that any of these provides a good cardio workout, as long as you get one with a lot of options (different "courses," different resistance levels, etc.). Considering the power of foreign currency in your part of the world, I'm assuming you can purchase a top of the line model for something like $20.
smile.gif

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
http://www.dragondoor.com/

get yourself a kettlebell and a book on kettlebells. is you have 20 minutes a day to work on this, and you were willing to deal with the bordom of climbing stairs, try this. it is one of those things that is a hell of a lot harder than it looks like it will be, but after 2 or 3 months you get to be fantastic at it.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
In terms of intensity and efficiency, nearly everything else pales in comparison to running hills (or stairs) IMHO. That said, you can get killer work from a bike or treadmill. Elliptical, maybe not so much - there's too little impedance from the ones I've used. Not bad, but you have to go at it a while to get the heart rate up.

It sounds as though you're doing this from your apartment and have limited time, so you probably don't want to go anywhere. Being the rainy season I would doubt you want to go outside to run intervals, but that's the simplest direct substitute for stairs (lacking a real hill, of course).

So, stationary bike and treadmill are probably your best/closest substitutes. Kettlebells as GT mentioned sound nifty, there are also bodyweight regimens where you cycle among exercises to keep your heart rate up.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Sprint intervals! If it needs to be indoors, a treadmill that goes fast enough will do. Twenty minutes of high intensity interval training is easily enough to burn off plenty of fat and keep you in excellent shape if you're doing them hard enough and your diet's right.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
yeah the problem with running outside is the traffic here - surviving it is unlikely, and at best, ill be stopping a real lot in order to move around whatever anyone has decided to park on the sidewalk (motorbikes, cars, relatives, dumpsters...)

amdi8

Reaction score
Can you bike to/from work? It's a really great way to go because:
- The time you spend exercising doubles up as your commuting time
- You save on gas costs
- You don't pollute the environment
- You get in great shape

It takes some planning to get started: figuring out how you're going to carry your clothes, finding a good bike route, getting the right cycling gear, etc. And sometimes it can be intimidating for new people (snow in winter, etc). Still, I highly recommend it, and I think it's really worth putting some effort into how to do it.

Good luck!

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amdi8
Can you bike to/from work? It's a really great way to go because: - The time you spend exercising doubles up as your commuting time - You save on gas costs - You don't pollute the environment - You get in great shape It takes some planning to get started: figuring out how you're going to carry your clothes, finding a good bike route, getting the right cycling gear, etc. And sometimes it can be intimidating for new people (snow in winter, etc). Still, I highly recommend it, and I think it's really worth putting some effort into how to do it. Good luck!
a nice idea, but this is the traffic 40 meters from my office
traffic.jpg
People on bicycles die, lots of them (not a joke) - and the pollution would probly kill me if the traffic didnt. I tend to arrive in the office choked up from it anyhow - and that is after 15 mins on my motorbike, 45 on a bicycle, god...... Plus its over 90 degrees and humid as hell basically every day here, so the sweat factor has to be included, since there is nowhere I could shower at work But thanks for the suggestion though.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
M@t, it's not our fault that you live in hell!

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
power/ashtanga yoga

can get your resting heart rate down to that of a runner

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads