• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So I need to figure out a new way to exercise

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by caelte
Try a jump rope.
Takes awhile to get it mastered but it will get your heart rate up
in a short period of time plus it's cheap and compact.

This is another very good idea--I second this. If you haven't done it in a while, a rope circuit will really kick your ass. There are some ideas here, including a few rope/bodyweight circuits. http://www.rossboxing.com/thegym/thegym26.htm

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love kick boxing. Strap fifteen or twenty pounds to each ankle, and kick!

caelte

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
This is another very good idea--I second this. If you haven't done it in a while, a rope circuit will really kick your ass. There are some ideas here, including a few rope/bodyweight circuits. http://www.rossboxing.com/thegym/thegym26.htm

San Francisco had a fighter who ran backwards through the city streets while doing the rope.

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never really understood the affinity that so many have for the running type of training. Sure, there is a place for some of it. But the amount of time that is expended on it seems to be really not very productive, IMHO. Using the jump rope for a few minutes in between sets of other exercises would be a better use of time.

Anyway, take a look at what this guy calls the "Ultimate Burpee". Then follow his suggestion to do these using a couple of dumbells. Get two 20# ones. Further complicate the exercise by doing a Renegade Row on each side (after the push up) with a real twist at the top so that the arm and dumbell goes into a high position and you are turned on your side, supported by one arm on the dumbell. When completing the burpee, rack the dumbells and do a push press as you stand from the squat.

Include some Double Swings with the dumbells. Additional exercises that can be done with the lighter dumbells are shown here ->
Mahler - Modified EDT Kettlebell Workout or this one Mahler - Kettlebells for Killer Cardio.

I'd also sugest that you try to set up some rings so that you can do lots of the gymnastics types of exercises including pullups and dips. Doing these for more reps with speed will give you all of the "cardio" that you want in a fairly short time period, without the leg pounding and knee damage of the running.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To burn fat, you need to be exercising at a fairly low intensity. Your heart rate should be between 60%-70% of max. (Max is roughly 220 minus your age).

You'll porbably find that a lot of the exercise mentioned here are more intense than that. They'll give you a good aerobic workout, but not fat-burning.

I use a heart rate monitor that beeps when I go outside these limits. I alternate fat-burning workouts with aerobic ones, changing the monitor settings accordingly. It's working pretty well - I've lost 10kgs, and recently managed a 210km bike ride.

My favourite exercises are bike riding and walking. I hate gyms and organised sports.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by California Dreamer
To burn fat, you need to be exercising at a fairly low intensity. Your heart rate should be between 60%-70% of max. (Max is roughly 220 minus your age).

You'll porbably find that a lot of the exercise mentioned here are more intense than that. They'll give you a good aerobic workout, but not fat-burning.

To burn fat while working out, yes, you need to be at low intensity. However, with intervals for example, most of the actual fat burn takes place long after you're done with the exercise, for the next few hours while your metabolic rate is spiked. There's a reason that interval work is most commonly prescribed to those who want to drop fat but maintain muscle mass.

Condor

Reaction score
If you want to not be chubby (in my opinion, but proved it I got
chubby before when I went through a physical low) you have
to raise your core metabolism and burn fat while you sleep. This
is best accomplished (again, in my opinion but through personal
experience) by pushing the iron M W F for about 45 mins (once
you get good at it). M - chest, back, W - abs, legs, F- arms
(basically). You will lose all your excess fat before you get big
as your body corrects itself. Assuming you want to be more thin
than big. See, it takes 2 days for your muscles to heal back, and
you burn a huge amount of calories to do this (and yes, even
when sleeping). You will want to get the 100% whey protein shakes
(go to GNC, get the member card, buy on the 1st week of the month
very cheap) or you will be hungry all the time.

I lost 38 lbs in 4 months, and kept it off.

As for the other type of workout, I like the eliptical machines myself
(less destructive to me than running around). I have a friend that
does the jump rope, it looks really good for you but I've never found
the coordination to do it well.

Let me know if you want my workout spreadsheet.

Kid609

Reaction score
Basketball

I play around 6 days a week, every night after work except Fri, and Sat/Sun afternoons and nights. I'm 6 percent body fat

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Charley
I've never really understood the affinity that so many have for the running type of training. Sure, there is a place for some of it. But the amount of time that is expended on it seems to be really not very productive, IMHO. Using the jump rope for a few minutes in between sets of other exercises would be a better use of time.

I've done all sorts of cardio training, and there is nothing, I repeat nothing, that beats sprints, and intervals. Jumping rope is useful, but even the best boxers go for three milers to warm up. There really is no subsistute for it. I would say that you should get a treadmill, and do one workout I do when I am traveling and only have access to a crappy hotel workout room. 800 m sprints at 3+ grade and at at slowest, 6/minute miles, followed immediately by 50 pushups, 50 situps, and 20 pullups (get a pullup bar that you can install on your door.) Do this for 3 miles (i.e. six times this interval) and I can guarantee that you will feel like a wet noodle. Takes about 40 minutes of *hard* constant work. Start with 1.5-2 miles. I know it sounds easy, but it is not. That, or you are much tougher, faster, stronger than I am. And I you are not Aussie, I know it
boxing[1].gif

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kid609
Basketball

I play around 6 days a week, every night after work except Fri, and Sat/Sun afternoons and nights. I'm 6 percent body fat

Matt is looking for fast workouts that will keep him in shape. A suggestion like "Play a team sport" is not going to hack it, imo.

tthornell

Reaction score
I am stationed on a boat in the Coast Guard, I often have to do quick workouts. Do an excercise called the burpee. It is like a grass drill. I do 200 in about 15 minutes. Trust me it works.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Burpees are great. I dont know about doing them with attached weights though. Bodyweight is plenty fine unless you are Superman.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads