• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

so i need some button up shirts for work.

quid

Reaction score
i'm about half way through my bulk cycle at the gym and my shirts are not fitting anymore
frown.gif
. some of them i cant button at the chest, and i need to wear decent shirts at work. i hate to admit this, but i like the cut of my single remaining abercrombie shirt, but am not willing to pay 70$ for a shirt with that damned moose on it. ill probably be heading to H+M this weekend, because this really needs to be taken care of, but i don't know if those cuts are comparable to the abercrombie cut. so requirements: "muscle" cut, pretty broad shoulders and wide chest but still quite tapered. durable oxford-esque fabric. cheap as these will probably only be around until next fall when ill be cut back down to normal.

Englandmj7

Reaction score
There are always plenty of last season's Ralph Lauren shirts on discount at department stores. Great fit, great quality, great prices...........

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
H&M may serve your purposes. Do you need to wear a tie? If not, you might size up in the slim fit.. just try them on. The dress shirts for $40 are decent. Some of the fabrics suck, some are pretty nice.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, H&M should work quite well. I'm not fond of the fabric that Express uses.

quid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
Yeah, H&M should work quite well. I'm not fond of the fabric that Express uses.

yea ive found that it fades VERY quickly. i dont need to wear a tie, and im pretty rough on things that i need to wear a lot (i.e. ball it up in the dirty laundry pile then throw in the washing machine) which is why i mentioned abercrombie fabric because it looks ok without dry cleaning or any particular treatment.

since im getting a pretty good vibe from H+M ill just try that out this weekend.
by the way, im still quite small at 6'0 ~170. but im up from ~155. so i'm still quite skinny, but my smalls are too small now
frown.gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm 6'0 - 175, 40 chest 32-33 waist and the H&M slimfit M fits me perfectly.

quid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
youre like my same size. ill give H&M a shot this weekend.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by quid
yea ive found that it fades VERY quickly. i dont need to wear a tie, and im pretty rough on things that i need to wear a lot (i.e. ball it up in the dirty laundry pile then throw in the washing machine) which is why i mentioned abercrombie fabric because it looks ok without dry cleaning or any particular treatment.

since im getting a pretty good vibe from H+M ill just try that out this weekend.
by the way, im still quite small at 6'0 ~170. but im up from ~155. so i'm still quite skinny, but my smalls are too small now
frown.gif

Huh? At 6'0" even if you are skinny, what brands could you fit into a small??

I am 6'0" 160lbs and usually the sleeves will be way too short on an S size shirt, even for brands that run way large like Banana Republic.

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dtmt
Huh? At 6'0" even if you are skinny, what brands could you fit into a small??

I am 6'0" 160lbs and usually the sleeves will be way too short on an S size shirt, even for brands that run way large like Banana Republic.

I'm 5'11, and that's true for me. The size S even in H&M and Zara slim fitting shirts are usually about 0.5-1" too short in the sleeves. Same goes for BR, which are short in the sleeves, sometimes an inch too narrow in the shoulders, and far too loose fitting in the chest/waist/hips area. Unless you're 6'0 with stumpy arms... wearing a small might make it look like you threw everything in the dryer for a few hours.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, maybe if you have T-Rex arms or something I guess. The H&M medium shirts probably have a 33" sleeve and I should probably have a 34", but when my arms are at my side they show enough cuff. When I stretch my arms way out, they pull a bit, but for the price, no big deal.

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
I tried on a few H&M slim M's a couple months ago. I'm a little over 5'9", low 160's, 41/31 and they were just a bit tight in the armpit/outer chest. I think I may go back and see what they have. Decent, inexpensive shirts and maybe they'll stretch enough to be comfortable.

prozach1576

Reaction score
I like the cut on those Express shirts for the most part, but the fabric is terrible and the gigantic point collars are overdone too.

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by prozach1576
I like the cut on those Express shirts for the most part, but the fabric is terrible and the gigantic point collars are overdone too.
Express has decent T-shirts and that's about it. I liked it better when it was Structure. Anyone remember that?

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up one of the $15 H&M ones today, thumbs up. I'm about 6' and 165-170 (think I was a 39 last time i was measured for a tux), mediums there always fit me pretty much spot on.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics