Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

So... I made a tie.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by EFV, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Achillus

Achillus Senior member

Nice work men.

2. Yachting Man

Yachting Man Senior member

+1 ????

3. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor

the bar tack looks very professional.

4. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

So, if anyone's interested. I got this idea from another thread, my offer is not as generous as a pair of shoes. But on the other hand, the challenge is very easy. Tomorrow I will post pics of six different fabrics on my tumblr and the first one to send me a messege there (after I've posted them), stating prefered fabric + whether he/she would like a bow- or regular tie will get one for free (shipping included).

Within the spoiler tags you'll find some of the stuff I've made earlier. Keep in mind that many of these are made when I first started out making this stuff, so there's (hopefully) been some progress since.

[​IMG] this one was featured at Close Up And Private

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. jawboneofa

jawboneofa Senior member

Erik, wow that is, in fact, a very generous offer. I can guarantee you'll have even more followers on tumblr after this.

6. A.J.V

A.J.V Senior member

This is great!! :slayer:

But, you shouldn't have mentioned it here... Cause I want that tie...

Just remember to update your tumblr right in the morning ;)

7. rohde88

rohde88 Senior member

impressive work. I'll check the tumblr!

8. reidrothchild

reidrothchild Senior member

Nice work. I bought a tie pattern and have some spare cotton shirt fabric I was going to experiment with, but I got side-tracked and never got past cutting the pattern. I'd be interested in more documentation and how long it took to complete.

9. EnjoytheSilence

EnjoytheSilence New Member

10. EFV

A.J.V won my little Tumblr contest. He will recieve a tie made from this fabric (the tie in the pic is just for reference):

[​IMG]

I saw that he recieved a Panta tie the other day, so I'm quite affraid his standards might be set a little high.
    Keeps me striving for greatness though. I will try to document the process of making the tie and post it here.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011

11. EFV

For anyone who may be interested I've documented the process of making A.J.V's tie. Ive put it all in spoiler tags as there are many pictures. There may not be pictures of every little step in the production because it's a pretty meticulous business making certain parts of the tie, and you don't want to stop in the middle of a seam to take a pic. If there are any questions, just fire away though.

First step is of course to draw up the pattern on the fabric. I've made these patterns without copying anything, but if you want to see how it's done I suggest you open up a tie of lesser worth (I basically make a pattern that is slightly wider than double the desired width of the finished tie). I draw up a pattern for three pieces (this is, among other things, to ensure a good balance in the finished tie).
    [​IMG]

Then, of course, you cut out the patterns.
    [​IMG]

And sew them together (the seams are placed on what is to become the inside of the tie). This is pretty straight forward, you sew them together in a fashion that will make them look like a very wide tie.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then I move on to what will be the front end tip of the tie. I fold it in the fashion I want the tip to look and fasten it with a seam (hard to explain, so I refer to the pics instead). The seam is made on what is to be the inside of the tip.
    [​IMG]

If you then flip it inside out you see what the tip will look like.
    [​IMG]
    Now flip it back.

Now I cut out the tipping (naturally, you can do this at the same time as you cut out all the other patterns). The tippings are the same size as the front and end tip of the tie.
    [​IMG]

Then I adjust the tipping fabric to the pattern of the tie's tips and sew them together (on what will be the inside of the tie). Then flip it inside out, now you start to see what the tips will look like.
    [​IMG]

Then I fasten what will be the lining in the end of the tippings and on some points along what will be the inside of the tie.
    [​IMG]

After this you approach the final step - Sewing the tie shut. Now this is imho the hardest part to get right. I like to think of it as the "back bone" of the tie. I do it by sewing the tie shut inside out and then flipping it. Others sew it together when it's turned the right way (and that's probably the correct way to do it). I make this seam kind of loose, and leave a bit of the string hanging out. When I have flipped it, I adjust the strings tension just right and the seal the deal with a bar tack.
    [​IMG]

After this I apply a minimum of water to the cloth and press it lightly with an iron (with almost no heat). You dont want to press it, just sort of shape it (as it otherwise, imho, loses some of it's vitality). Then I applied a patch with my signature on it inside the tipping with a very light adhesive (so it's easy to pull away).
    [​IMG]

Some pics of the finished tie:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011

12. Leonel Dante

Leonel Dante Well-Known Member

This is great! Thanks for sharing these pics. Great job.

13. facet

facet Senior member

That is so cool.

14. UncleCozy

UncleCozy Senior member

+ you're a swede that digs Roxy Music, even more awesome!

15. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Senior member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone
    Very pretty tie and very impressive work. Then again, I can't make paper airplanes, so perhaps I'm too easily impressed.