• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So I lost my health insurance...

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So yesterday was my 23rd birthday, and as a gift my health insurance provider sent me a letter informing me that they were tossing me off the policy that I was on. My mother is a nurse and she has great insurance and I have been on the policy since I was a child, but now that I am 23 I lose my coverage. If all was fine and dandy I wouldn't really care because I take good care of myself and could suck it up until I graduate college and get a solid job....

BUT I have developed some severe allergies to some foods and need to see an allergist and I have a spot on my back that my doctor insists needs to be checked out by a dermatologist...

So, does anyone know of an affordable health plan that offers some solid coverage without the hefty price tag ( I understand how expensive healthcare can be), or offer anyone insight on my situation?

thank you in advance
john

makushin

Reaction score
If you are a healthy single person you can get some coverage for a reasonable cost. It depends what state you live in though. I know when I was in your situation a couple years ago I believe I priced some plans at about $150/month. They have high deductables though.

If you live somewhere like NYC you are going to pay a lot more than someone in a square state.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
If you are a student, with low income, try your state Medicaid plan. If you TA (I figure you might, as at 23 an in college, I figure you are a grad student) you might qualify for a school plan.

TINSTAAFL, so low price, low deductible, great coverage? Just not going to happen, if you are self-paying.

Cavalier

Reaction score
I think all schools offer some sort of student health insurance plan. I'd look in to that.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cavalier
I think all schools offer some sort of student health insurance plan. I'd look in to that.

Georgia State Univ. did that through a company that has cheap rates for college kids.

It was cheap enough to be able to buy it, and beer every month.

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Obama may have a plan for you, read the fine print in the stimulus bill you could find something. Do you maybe have a job you can can get laid off from? The govt pays your COBRA now.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoelF
Obama may have a plan for you, read the fine print in the stimulus bill you could find something. Do you maybe have a job you can can get laid off from? We taxpayers pay your COBRA now.

Fixed. And on a serious note the primary determinants for health insurance costs are age and pre existing conditions. Don't lie, but try not to make your prospective insurer know of any pre existing condition that will require care.

Higher deductibles mean lower monthly premiums too but it sounds like you need to see a Dr. soon for the problems you've described. Since you are so young you should be able to get reasonable coverage with a reasonable deductible.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At the minimum, BCBS offers major medical for about $200 / 6 months. At least you'd be covered if anything major happens and you can pay cash for random doctor's visits.

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
Fixed. And on a serious note the primary determinants for health insurance costs are age and pre existing conditions. Don't lie, but try not to make your prospective insurer know of any pre existing condition that will require care. Higher deductibles mean lower monthly premiums too but it sounds like you need to see a Dr. soon for the problems you've described. Since you are so young you should be able to get reasonable coverage with a reasonable deductible.
Exactly. With your condition you may have a hard time finding health insurance. You def don't want to flat out lie however as they will check previous medical reports, which you said you already went to visit a doctor and he said you should be checked. You may want to leave it as having some minor food allergies just to get in the door. I was on my parents plan years ago and it expired at the end of a November. On Dec 7th I got into a car accident with 2 herniated disks and I have been blacklisted from all health insurance companies since. No one will even take me on a normal plan even though other than those 2 disks I am perfectly healthy and I would say healthier and more active than most. The only way I could get mine was to joint he chamber of commerce and get an employer based group plan which I am guaranteed entry regardless of my condition but that means I pay nearly $400/month at age 30...

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't fret. Just use the emergency rooms at any hospital. They are obligated to treat you.

Also just apply for medical assistance/Medicaid and you're set.

The trick is just to just let them know you may sue if you don't get anything done, and there are millions of lawyers out there ready to go to bat for you.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IIRC, my school offered a student insurance plan for about $800 every 6 months.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
Don't fret. Just use the emergency rooms at any hospital. They are obligated to treat you.

Also just apply for medical assistance/Medicaid and you're set.

Many county/general hospitals offer excellent care on a sliding scale of cost based on your income.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
Georgia State Univ. did that through a company that has cheap rates for college kids.

It was cheap enough to be able to buy it, and beer every month.

At GSU it was probably Pearce and Pearce. As far as I know the whole GA university system uses them.

OP, P&P isn't the best, but it's worth checking out. It's pretty reasonable if your school offers it. If it's not through P&P, it's probably through someone else, but universities usually have something for their students.

It's also worth checking out individual coverage. I was on individual coverage through BCBS a couple of years ago (I was only a couple of years older than you are now), and the coverage really wasn't bad. I also looked at Humana which wasn't terrible either. You have the benefit of being in a low risk group because of your age.

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do they know youre still in school? I was under the impression that the age was 25 if you were still a student. Couldnt hurt to call, or see what it would cost to extend you till you graduate.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads